OFFICIAL External Storage Information

What brand and model number is it?

Hitachi....when I get home I'll send you the model#....Best Buy has had a run on them.....they just came in and now there is only one left at my local store...priced on sale slightly less that the 750 gb units.

Hitachi....when I get home I'll send you the model#....Best Buy has had a run on them.....they just came in and now there is only one left at my local store...priced on sale slightly less that the 750 gb units.

I believe that sale price ended Sat, they're back to $400 now.

So, did I miss the answer, or is it in another thread?

How will the recorded programs be listed? Will we have to access the external drive through a menu, or will the recordings show up in the normal My DVR listings?

Of course, you are twice as likely to experience a drive failure!!!;)

Actually probability of failure of two devices will counted as multiplication of each; for example 1/2 and 1/2 become 1/4 ie goes down twice, but if your devices have 0.9, then it will be 0.81 .
You'll need real numbers to make real assumption.

Manual Transfer

I like the transfer to the external drive being manual. This way I will only need to power up the drive when I want to transfer events to/from the drive thus extending its life (hopefully). In my case this will be events I plan to watch sometime when I have nothing else better to do. Currently they are saved on the receiver until I need more record time and then I am either forced to watch them or delete them. This way I can spent $100 and avoid deleting them for a much longer time.

The other thing I plan to do is keep events that I want to re-visit some time in the future. (Perhaps something like Atlanta winning the Super Bowl). This of course is limited to the period of time I am a Dish Customer, which is likely to be a long time now. (Just as Atlanta winning the Super Bowl may be)

It would be nice if they supported two drive so you could create a backup in case of failure. Maybe this will become available sometime in the future.

Join us in our chat room tonight at 8:30 (ET) and then at 9PM we will all watch the Tech Chat where they will be featuring external storage. :)

<...> avoid deleting them for a much longer time.

The other thing I plan to do is keep events that I want to re-visit some time in the future. (Perhaps something like Atlanta winning the Super Bowl). This of course is limited to the period of time I am a Dish Customer, which is likely to be a long time now. (Just as Atlanta winning the Super Bowl may be)
<...>

Ummm, you forget about DRM - you're not entitled anymore in your decision how long you'll keep recordings. Now Dish and content providers will dictate you.
IMHO, better have DVD.

Actually probability of failure of two devices will counted as multiplication of each; for example 1/2 and 1/2 become 1/4 ie goes down twice, but if your devices have 0.9, then it will be 0.81 .
You'll need real numbers to make real assumption.
If you multiply the probabilities you get a change of BOTH of drives failing.
So say 50% change that drive will fail in 5 years would be 25% that BOTH drives will fail in 5 years... But when you have 2 drives, there is a higher change that ONE of the drives will fail, but not sure what the formula would be...

Quick Question, I noticed the doc at the beginning says "When you connect the drive for the first time, you may see a pop-up..." Does this mean that not all HDD will be reformatted? I have a 500GB mybook that I have already connected and got to the "option not available" point. I was able to see files (pics) and transfer them back and forth. Did not get a re-format pop-up at all. So my question is, when the HDD support officially roles out, is going to reformat my HDD? I'd rather not as I really only want to pull vids off the old 622 long enough to put them on my new 622. Old one is acting up badly. I really don't want to dedicate this HDD to the 622 as I typically burn the vids I want to keep to DVD (except HD stuff).

BTW, dish customer support knows this is coming/knows how to do it. The lady I talked to to replace my 622 was the one that told me how to do it and this was almost two weeks ago. She did say she was only able to get a Western Digital to work with her 622. Food for thought.

Whoa, a major feature got dropped here!?

In previous posts, you said that you could connect the external drive to any receiver on the account and play content. The PDF says you have to connect it to the same receiver all the time.

What are the facts?

This would be a major reason for getting an external drive -- to be able to watch a show recorded on one DVR on a different DVR in the same house/account.

Whoa, a major feature got dropped here!?

In previous posts, you said that you could connect the external drive to any receiver on the account and play content. The PDF says you have to connect it to the same receiver all the time.

What are the facts?

This would be a major reason for getting an external drive -- to be able to watch a show recorded on one DVR on a different DVR in the same house/account.

It was posted that you would only be able to use it on one receiver at first roll out then Dish would enable you to use it on other receivers later on. The answer will probably be brought up on the Tech Chat tonight so tun into the chat room tonight where it will be discussed.

If there is DRM on it, then you will not be able to move it to the external hard drive.

Then smart customer will wait for a policy or intent regarding what content will have DRM. It would be stupid to buy drives and pay for this service if everything of interest will have DRM now or soon.

If DISH has already stated a policy or intent regarding what content will have DRM, is there a link?

Hitachi Model is Bell Micro #h31000u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)