OFFICIAL External Storage Information

Just to be clear, I'm not saying they said "that drive" wasn't compatible. They said if you don't get the prompt it's not.
I just replayed it, and they said "If the receiver determines the hard drive is compatible, you'll see this message asking if you want to view and manage the contents on the drive" and that message is
You have connected a multimedia device to the USB port. Would you like to view and manage its contents at this time?

In my case, I do get that prompt.

They then say, "When you connect your hard drive for the first time, you'll see a message asking you to reformat the drive".

I don't get that message.

Possibilities:
- It won't reformat until after you activate, OR
- It doesn't always need to reformat, depending on what it sees on the drive, OR
- It only reformats if there is something already on the drive.

My favorite line of the QUICK FACTS PDF
"If the receiver that originally recorded the event is no longer available (due to an
equipment return, for example), the content can still be viewed using a
compatible receiver or replaced receiver on the account."

My 500 GB My Book Essentials was recognized, but like Scott and a few others I have not been prompted to reformat it. Put it back on the PC, deleted all the preinstalled crap (maybe it wants to see an empty drive??) and relabeled it to WDUSB1 (maybe it doesn't like the spaces in My Book label??).
The name or volume label means NOTHING to the 622. It's also related to the filesystem, which the 622 cares NOTHING about.
No change. I noticed it was formated FAT32 from the factory, which I thought was odd - expected NTFS. Did not try reformatting to NTFS, will just wait till Wednesday...
Win95, Win98, *nix variants (*), and so on might have some minor issues with NTFS. ;) Don't both formatting it to ANY format. It will not help in the least.

* I know *nix variants can read NTFS but writing is not recommended

I just replayed it, and they said "If the receiver determines the hard drive is compatible...
Thank you. I knew I wasn't crazy. :D
Possibilities:
- It doesn't always need to reformat, depending on what it sees on the drive, OR
Very possible (2 and 3, I mean). You guys that have them could track this.

• If you took it out of the box, brand new, and only connected it to the 622, did it prompt to format it or not ??
  • If you previously used it with a PC, did it prompt to format it ??

I just replayed it, and they said "If the receiver determines the hard drive is compatible, you'll see this message asking if you want to view and manage the contents on the drive" and that message is

In my case, I do get that prompt.

They then say, "When you connect your hard drive for the first time, you'll see a message asking you to reformat the drive".

I don't get that message.

Possibilities:

Folks I think we are freaking out for NO good reason; has anyone actually seen the prompt to reformat on any drive?

I am confident that after you activate it, THEN it will ask you to reformat.

Not losing any sleep over this one. :)

The prompt I got when i hooked up a Seagate 500Gb out of the box was the "do you want to manage" prompt. You would think, since a rep from Seagate was there, it would be fine.

Folks I think we are freaking out for NO good reason; has anyone actually seen the prompt to reformat on any drive?

I am confident that after you activate it, THEN it will ask you to reformat.

Not losing any sleep over this one. :)
A few people who got L4.41 and hooked up drives (including Smith, P) have been prompted to format their drives. Afterwards. they get the prompt to call and active the External support if they try to access the USB 2.0.

A few people who got L4.41 and hooked up drives (including Smith, P) have been prompted to format their drives. Afterwards. they get the prompt to call and active the External support if they try to access the USB 2.0.

Maybe it doesn't have to do that to new drives. I got the prompt to manage it; it recognized the drive; there shouldn't be any problems.

Still not losing sleep over it for the meantime. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :)

Yeah, the prompt I got was to Manage, but never got prompted to reformat. I would have thought that was normal, but some people here were claiming the 622 actually formated the drive even though we can't activate the full feature yet.

I'm going back to my original thought that this is normal, and it'll format no problem after Dish lightens my wallet on Wednesday and we can access the rest of the screens.

Yes, it did ask, then stop show a show, made black background and white wide short window with miniclock. Then my disk went down and error message popped up about disconnected device. Rest of info I posted.

Yeah, the prompt I got was to Manage, but never got prompted to reformat. I would have thought that was normal, but some people here were claiming the 622 actually formated the drive even though we can't activate the full feature yet.

I'm going back to my original thought that this is normal, and it'll format no problem after Dish lightens my wallet on Wednesday and we can access the rest of the screens.
Looks like your disk is not compatible
or 622 didn't communicate with USB chip, or the chip doesn't work with the disk - check on your PC first.

Anyone know if SSDrives will be supported or in the future, it good be great with some 300gb and 500gb ( theses are available to the public yet ;) )

Anyone know if SSDrives will be supported or in the future, it good be great with some 300gb and 500gb ( theses are available to the public yet ;) )

The underlying technology does not matter as long as the interface presents the drive as accessible and format capable. If you think solid state is fast enough, use it!

And no doubt, if one of us dropped $22K on one of those, in our next breath we would complain about the $40 activation fee.

Wild/Avs - Ch. 546 - Great PQ

new hd channels listed in guide!!!! (FALSE ALARM)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)