OFFICIAL External Storage Information

What about reformatting

This is a know compatibility problem between these Seagate drives and the 622/722 it has to do with the drives sleep mode. Here is link to a utility and instructions on disabling it. I also recommend plugging the drive into a switched power outlet such as on an A/V receiver so the drive doesn't run 24/7.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1010231-post356.html

NightRyder

If I follow these instructions and I already have some store on the HD do I need to reload them to the 622 before doing this?

I tried to shut it off, but the pushing inside the green circle does not do a thing. All it does is wobble the inside of the circle.
Sorry about it not working, but, I tried.

Lyle

The button does not shut off the hard drive on mine. The owner's manual does not indicate that it will. The manual states "....disconnect the AC adapter to turn off the device." The instructions were geared to a computer and it was referring to using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the computer before disconnecting the AC adapter. I have turned it off by disconnecting the AC adapter or disconnecting the USB cable. Neither way has caused any problems. But I think its best to disconnect the USB cable as Shortpark recommends.

I tried to shut it off, but the pushing inside the green circle does not do a thing. All it does is wobble the inside of the circle.
Sorry about it not working, but, I tried.

Lyle

I've found that if I hold the button for 5 seeconds or so it cuts off. It will come back on overnight during my update at 4:00AM.

As Usual

This is a know compatibility problem between these Seagate drives and the 622/722 it has to do with the drives sleep mode. Here is link to a utility and instructions on disabling it. I also recommend plugging the drive into a switched power outlet such as on an A/V receiver so the drive doesn't run 24/7.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1010231-post356.html

NightRyder

As usual this doesnt work. There was no files to extract. Have you tried this yet?

Last edited:
If I follow these instructions and I already have some store on the HD do I need to reload them to the 622 before doing this?

If you have programs you can't replace then yes, move them back to the 622. I didn't lose any content when I used the utility on my drives.

NightRdyer

That did the trick................

The button does not shut off the hard drive on mine. The owner's manual does not indicate that it will. The manual states "....disconnect the AC adapter to turn off the device." The instructions were geared to a computer and it was referring to using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the computer before disconnecting the AC adapter. I have turned it off by disconnecting the AC adapter or disconnecting the USB cable. Neither way has caused any problems. But I think its best to disconnect the USB cable as Shortpark recommends.

Thanks to Shortpark and you! :hatsoff:
Although it's a little inconvienient to get to, I feel safer with that little green circle off. I hope that it is ok to turn it off this way, as you said, the instructions are geared more to the computer hookup.
Anyway, she's off and resting now after a few days. After work, I'll transfer "War" to the HD. Such a good program.
Thanks again:

Lyle

I've found that if I hold the button for 5 seeconds or so it cuts off. It will come back on overnight during my update at 4:00AM.

Pretty much how mine works. But it's not always 5 seconds. Sometimes have to play with it for a bit to get it to work. I think my next receiver is going to have to have a switched outlet.

USB Storage Vs TV2

Does the USB storage work with TV2 on the 622?

I just hooked up a USB drive and formatted it. When I try to select usb storage from the dvr menu or multimedia from the main menu, they are both gray. Is this because I am using tv2 and not tv1?

Thanks, Pete

A few pages back I mentioned the drive enclosures that I am using work well and match the 622 very well also. I just got a third one, and they look great. Very quiet as well and non-obnoxious lights.

IMG%5D
DSCF2418.jpg

IMG%5D

Again, if anyone is interested, PM me, and I will send you the info of the eBay seller. (it's not me I swear :p).

Has anybody found a workaround way (with a 500GB WD My book essential) to delete content from it?
I can't Delete anything from it. I can restore, but can't delete. I guess I need to be Very selective about what I put on it. I only have room for maybe 20-30 more HD Movies on it.
THanks in advance for any help.
At very least, I hope the Software developers at E* know about this.
FYI, this is with a 622 receiver.
If you can't delete the filesystem is corrupted somehow. Sounds like you need to restore the content to the 622 then wipe and reformat the external drive. or just consider it a "permanent" storage device as you said.