Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Attached is a PDF document that explains External Storage better from Dish Network.

Don't forget that External Storage will be a big part of tonight's Tech Chat! And also don't forget that in our Tech Chat... Chat tonight we will be giving away a Dish 211 MPEG4 recevier courtesy of DishStore.NET!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• QuickFacts_ExternalHDDStorage_8-9-07-2.pdf
    73.7 KB · Views: 4,716
So if I'm reading this correctly, the recordings have to be manual transferred from the DVR to the external HDD for storage, and then manually transferred back to the DVR to see them in the normal recorded program list on the DVR? Otherwise, you have to go to the external HDD menu and select "play" from there?

Couldn't they have the ability to list all recordings, both on the DVR and the external storage in 1 My DVR list?

Daisy-Chain?

Hi Scott,

I read your PDF and the maximum HDD is 750 GB. Could you Daisy-Chain more than one on the same USB port? I read that you could have for example, one HDD for Movies and another for Sports? This means using one port for each HDD or could you daisy-chain them?

Thanks again for your info!

No you can't daisy chain them.

But you can have one hard drive for sports, another for movies, another for Spongebob and so on. :D

Thanks for your quick response.
Another question a little off the USB storage, but related to USB.
I read that the Gen 5 ARCHOS players will be compatible to the Dish receivers. In your PDF it says:
"Currently, you can
only connect one USB device (such as an
HDD or a PocketDISH) to the receiver at a
time—the receiver will ignore the last
device connected."
This means, that if in fact, they enable the functionality on the new ARCHOS Gen 05 (or) let's say someone with a current PocketDish won't be able to transfer content to the PocketDish while the external HDD is connected to the receiver?
Then, unplug the external HDD, connect the PocketDish, transfer the content, unplug PocketDish, connect the external HDD... is this right?

Thanks,​

As far as the Archos player goes, it will not act as a hard drive to the 622 yet...

There will be some kind of plugin software that you will need on the Archos which will be available this fall which will give you Archos PocketDish access.

Hi Scott,

I read your PDF and the maximum HDD is 750 GB. Could you Daisy-Chain more than one on the same USB port? I read that you could have for example, one HDD for Movies and another for Sports? This means using one port for each HDD or could you daisy-chain them?

Thanks again for your info!

I spoke to a Dish tech over the weekend and they informed me 750 gig is not the max. Based on that I found a 1 TB single drive and hooked it up.....the receiver seems to have recognized the device as a new screen appeared after installation showing the "manage device menu". After I activate on Wednesday I'll report how it goes....these 1TB drives were available for the price of a 750 gig.

Any word on what time on August 15th that they will be accepting phone calls to turn on this feature ?

August 15th in Bangalore starts around noon on August 14th here ! :D

I spoke to a Dish tech over the weekend and they informed me 750 gig is not the max. Based on that I found a 1 TB single drive and hooked it up.....the receiver seems to have recognized the device as a new screen appeared after installation showing the "manage device menu". After I activate on Wednesday I'll report how it goes....these 1TB drives were available for the price of a 750 gig.
As I have said a few times, drives bigger them 750GB MAY work, however they also may not work. Dish only tested drives up to 750GB in size.

If your thinking of going larger be aware that the dirve may not work or not work correctly with your 622. :)

I can't wait to get the upgrade. AS of this Am i am still on the old software.

What brand and model number is it?

Thank you. So, for now, current PocketDish users, have to unplug their devices and do all that swaping to make it work.

Wonder if this would be useful or not but how about a listing of known compatible drives, i.e. folks that have used them AND verified they function without any special hoops to jump through.

<--- dumped DTV after 10 years as a "top" customer or whatever they call it to jump to DN and so far I am impressed.

Oh yeah, it's also my first post here:)

yay for me!

Well oddball (You will fit in fine here) :D

Yes there will be a list of drives greater than 750 GB posted here, we just need to compile the data from our members brave enough to try it. :D

Well oddball (You will fit in fine here) :D

Yes there will be a list of drives greater than 750 GB posted here, we just need to compile the data from our members brave enough to try it. :D

I figured i would fit in here:)

As for drive size since there's so much content we churn through, and sadly, most of it is SD for my young daughter 750 GB would probably suffice for us. If there are no known compatibility issues with say, Seagate or WD I'll just poke around for the best price on a 3/4 TB drive.

I am patient though. It took me ten years to get to Dish :)

I wonder how many months it takes to reformat a 1TB drive?:eek:

As I have said a few times, drives bigger them 750GB MAY work, however they also may not work. Dish only tested drives up to 750GB in size.

If your thinking of going larger be aware that the dirve may not work or not work correctly with your 622. :)

Scott: Yes, I've monitored your post and I made sure the drive is returnable...what's making me hopeful is that most of these drives are 2 500's that require some presetting on whether or not you use one as a b/u or not and just guessing I felt therein was the potential conflict. This newly released drive is the first I found that was a single drive unit, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)