OFFICIAL External Storage Information

TV2 control

Did I miss something in E* information about the External Storage? It appears TV2 cannot play any programming from the HD.

Thanks

It will if the 622 is in single mode. Hopefully that can get fixed somewhere down the road.

Yes, I can confirm this.
As a single guy, I have my 622 set to single mode. :)
In single mode you can indeed access the external storage from TV2 - not that it's any help to you all who don't use single mode.....

But I think there will be some changes down the road that will make us all happy.

Sorry, if you feel it was that way. Nothing personal.

Simple solution; don't make semi-veiled comments. It's a lot easier that way.

Just want have facts straight.

Mentioned limitations of internal mechanics/electronics of HDD will not affect transfer data to/from external USB enclosure.

We'll have to agree to disagree; as the only argument you brought up was an irrelevant drive with higher RPMs in a block copy mode that is literally a block for block transfer as opposed to a more random method of access.

So far the seen speed is bogged down by DishLinux.
Is it really limited by hard-coding, or inherit irrelevancy from PocketDish processes, I don't know.

In your opinion. If you have access to the code; then you are violating an NDA. If you don't have access to the code then you're speculating.

OK John, lets go back to the numbers.
So far we see transfer speed 3..5 MBps, this is simple writing. When the disk will be fragmented ( when ?) by your words a real throughput will be around 8..12 MBps.
I don't see the saturation by HDD limits now or in a future .

Wonder when stacking will work. I plugged my thumb drive in the front panel USB port and got the message. TOO MAY USB DEVICES.
Also, I believe the lower limit was expressed as 40GB. Anything smaller and L4.41 treats it as a multimedia device and not an external HDD.

I have an 80GB Maxtor OneTouch III Mini, but I don't know where the power pack is for it. The USB cable it came with has two "A" connectors to supply additional power, but it won't reach between the front and rear USB connectors on the 622. I could try one, but it might overload the power on one USB port. This is what I had hoped to use to move programs from the 622 downstairs to the 211 in the bedroom (I know it doesn't work now, but maybe some day...)

Any guesses on if they will eventually include the 522 to the list of hardware this works with, since it has the USB port as well?

Wonder when stacking will work. I plugged my thumb drive in the front panel USB port and got the message. TOO MAY USB DEVICES.
I got that message the first time I plugged the HDD in. Nothing else was plugged in. In fact the first time I did it I got all the error messages in succession. Too many devices plugged in, not a recognized device, cannot use this device, would you like to manage? I freaked out cause I thought it wasn't going to work and suddenly it was. I didn't do anything at all just watched it flash all these fun messages and then it worked fine....

Transfered something like 40 Gig in 3 hours. Now I will swap the 622 for the new one and see what happens tonight....

This new software update did A LOT more than activate the HDD too. Al kinds of new stuff is popping up and new HD channels too!!

Last edited:
Just activated mine in less than 5 minutes (format, calling dish, and activation). Once the format was done, it re-booted. Once the activation was done with dish, I hanged up, waited a minute and voila the activation went through - no reboot. I have a 500GB HD and sent a one hour program to test. I was done in 3 minutes and 30 minutes or something like that. Played it from the archive and everything seems to be smooth. Now the big test. I have over 10 hours worth of HD programming that I want to archive. This is what I did. Right now it is on the 8th hour and 30 minutes left for eveything to be archive. In the mean time I am recording, watching TV, and everything and the archiving is going on in the background.

This is a very smooth function.. no hassle.. no headaches... just plug and play (at least for me. Keeping those fingers cross for the archive...) :)

This is a very smooth function.. no hassle.. no headaches... just plug and play (at least for me. Keeping those fingers cross for the archive...) :)

You might want to check the external drive bug thread before getting too far into transferring a lot of content to the drive. It seems many of these external USB models use the spin-down feature which seems to be causing problems.

IOW, it might be a good idea to adjust the FW on the drive before doing a lot of transferring.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/104108-external-hard-drive-archive-bug-thread.html

Between what they say they will do (in the future) and what they eventually do, can be two very different things ! Ask DVR-5xx owners if they've got NBR yet.... Or if 921/942 owners have external storage....

Anyway, they did say on the tech chat show the other night that they're planning/thinking about/considering (don't remember the exact words) for older DVRs.

By the way, are you in Dayton ?

Sorry if this has been brought up, but trying to go through 36 pages of posts is making my head spin.

I have seen a couple of others mention this, but no definitive answer or reply. Why can't I archive shows from one of my 622's, hook it up to my other 622, and be able to watch or restore the contents of the drive? I thought it was interchangeable with all recievers on your own account?

Sorry if this has been brought up, but trying to go through 36 pages of posts is making my head spin.

I have seen a couple of others mention this, but no definitive answer or reply. Why can't I archive shows from one of my 622's, hook it up to my other 622, and be able to watch or restore the contents of the drive? I thought it was interchangeable with all recievers on your own account?

Code is not up to speed for an account key, just a receiver key. You can move a video three times and then it is locked to a receiver until they update the software again to fix this.

So yesterday I learned about Dish turning on the external storage feature only here at
Satellite guys went to Dishes site maybe expecting something like a web page tutorial
Listing compatible drives? Some kind of guide but found nothing not even a mention....

Considering this a company with the latest
Software included an annoying notice to push guide for next favorite list that removes the clock? (I find that really annoying) when I asked they claim they get to many support calls that customers cannot find the lists they make? So if they consider there customers so stupid why wouldn’t they have some type of tutorial up for at least two of the most popular drives????

I did the next best thing looked in this group and seen people reporting no problems
with the Seagate HD’s so I bought a Seagate Freeagent Pro 500GB model

To hope someone can learn from my mistakes

First install external HD to a PC so you can edit HD controls!

Here lists my problems

didn’t hook it up to my pc first

Seagate pre installs it’s utility programs to the HD and gives no other back up so when I hooked the drive to my 622 and activated and it formatted my drive say good bye to the freeagent tools

once the above happened I noticed the bright amber light thrown by this drive and knew this would never work and needed the utility tool to turn off light and change the sleep mode from default of 15 minutes to a greater time

after spending forever on Seagate’s website trying to find the download link for the software I ended up calling support which took nearly an hour ( 40 minutes talking to a overseas tech would just couldn’t grasp what I needed after being transferred to an English speaking tech it only took a few minutes
to spare any of you that did the same as I did here is the link to download install programs http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/desktop-recovery-efigs.zip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts