OFFICIAL External Storage Information

jdr01930

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2005
Gloucester, MA
I bought the Western Digital My Book 750 GB external hardrive specifically for this. So far it works great, with the exception of one thing. The drive does not turn off at all...

The center of that light ring thingy is a power button on some of the WD My books . I can turn off my 500 GB Essentials edition that way. Press and hold for a few seconds. Not mentioned in the documentation though. I just leave mine on though. I think the previous estimate of a few bucks per year is kinda high though - lol. Drive spins down when not in use, so that LED aint using any more power than the 200 other gizmo's in your house with LED's.

Heterocidal

Aug 14, 2007
When you go to the USB STORAGE section it gives two options: "Dish Recordings" and and "Photo". I thought that this drive was only for dish recordings, so is there a way to get photos on there as well? I don't like how the stuff on the external drive is just listed in the order that it was imported. What are the chances there will be an update so they can be grouped together, like they are on the DVR?

Chris_R

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 27, 2007
Northern California
Looking for a cool-operating drive

Howdy - I've been following the news about the external drive support now available for the 622, and before I spring for a hard drive, I thought you guys could help me with my decision.

I've read here and elsewhere that *heat* is the biggest factor with these external drives. Most people I know use external drives use them for back-up purposes only, and only as they need them - not 24/7. I would like to find a reliable drive that I can leave on day & night for easy access to stored programs, yet without placing such a burden on the drive that it overheats. I know some of the LaCie drives come with cooling fans, but the drives with higher ratings, noteably Seagates and Maxtors, do not. Is any of this something I should be concerned about?

Second, if I purchase a drive, have the 622 format it and let's say I decide to replace the drive a year or two down the road, can I transfer the data from the old drive to a new one and have the 622 recognize it, or is there another recommended way of moving archived programming to another drive?

Thanks in advance!

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
At this time I believe moving from one hard drive to another would involve:

move from current hard drive back onto DVR
move from DVR onto new hard drive.

and because your external MAY hold a lot more than teh internal hard drive in the DVR... you may be doing those steps a couple of times.

ronalr

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 13, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I have the 500 gig mybook...I keep it off except when I need it, however when I get up in the morning the drive is on. This happens every morning. Is tere a reason why it comes on by itself...could it have something to do with the 622 updating every 3:00 am. Does the 622 come on when it updates?
Any other time the mybook is off and I turn on the 622 it does not come on, but every morning there it is the little green light circle is on. Hold it in for a few seconds and it goes off.
Not a big deal just wondering why it would do this. Would it be better to just leave it on?
Ron

ronalr

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 13, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I have the 500 gig Mybook and I turn it off when I am not using it. But every morning it is on...I hold the button for a few seconds and it goes off. It does not come on when I turn on the 622. Would the 3:00am update turn it on every morning?
That is the only thing I can think of. Any ideas?
Should I just leave it on all the time? Everything works fine, just curious if any one else had this happen?
Thanks, Ron

pdxsam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 11, 2004
Tigard, Oregon
I know some of the LaCie drives come with cooling fans, but the drives with higher ratings, noteably Seagates and Maxtors, do not. Is any of this something I should be concerned about?

The Maxtors power down after a certain amount of idleness. This should help with cooling. As long as the drive enclosure itself has decent airflow around it, heat shouldn't be that much of an issue.

/dev/null

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 24, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have the 500 gig Mybook and I turn it off when I am not using it. But every morning it is on...I hold the button for a few seconds and it goes off. It does not come on when I turn on the 622. Would the 3:00am update turn it on every morning?
That is the only thing I can think of. Any ideas?
Should I just leave it on all the time? Everything works fine, just curious if any one else had this happen?
Thanks, Ron

I just picked up a 500 GB MyBook Essentials over the weekend (although, I haven't actually transfered anything to it - yet; been working on the technical investigation for details). In any event, if I remember correctly, the drive will power down by itself when the device it is connected to powers down and will power up when the device powers up. I haven't actually tested this though, but, from the way you describe it, I would say yes, the 3am update is the culprit.

Interestingly, when I attach my external to my Linux box and go into suspend (e.g., standby), Linux will not suspend; it seems the drive is not cooperating with power management. Haven't looked into why for this either - yet - all in good time.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
In one of the threads, someone reported that when you restored a recording back to the DVR, it also stayed on the External Drive.

I just tried a restore (for the first time), and it removed the recording from the list on the External Drive (just as you would have expected and contrary to the report in one of the threads).

Chris_R

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 27, 2007
Northern California
The Maxtors power down after a certain amount of idleness. This should help with cooling. As long as the drive enclosure itself has decent airflow around it, heat shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Thanks for clarifying the heat issue...sounds like it may not be as much of a problem with the newer drives than it has been, and Maxtor (or Seagate) seems pretty reliable. I don't plan to enclose it in a cabinet or anything, it will just sit on an open shelf next to the 622.

primetimeguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
In one of the threads, someone reported that when you restored a recording back to the DVR, it also stayed on the External Drive.

I just tried a restore (for the first time), and it removed the recording from the list on the External Drive (just as you would have expected and contrary to the report in one of the threads).

The issue with the recording staying on the external drive is a special circumstance and I believe it has to do with the drive semi-waking up and only certain functions working. So more of a glitch or compatability issue than anything.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
That may have happened to someone but it was probably a glitch. Dish is complying with the networks and what-not and sticking to a "one-copy-only" arrangement. When a recording goes from the DVR to the external, it's MOVED. Same thing when it goes from the external back to the DVR, it's MOVED. There should be no COPYING involved.

reliefdvm

Jan 30, 2006
drives on Sale

For those looking for external hard drive - I see that circuit city has the 500 Mb my book for $129 and Best Buy has the 750 MyBook for $229. You might find them cheaper online, but if you are impatient like me you can get up and running today.

Allen
Lafayette, CO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)