Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

What Vizio do you have? I have the M60-C3. HDCP 2.2 is only supported on HDMI 1,2, and 5. HDMI 5 is the only one that supports 60hz.

i have the m43-c1. and i originally had the hopper3 on hdmi1 and wasn't seeing 4k resolution until i moved it to hdmi5. i thought as you did, that 1,2, and 5 were all the same except hdmi5 would show 60fps content.

/guy

also, i can't seem to find the old search screen which allowed you to record by category. is there a workaround for that?

sorry for all the questions--you wouldn't believe how many tabs i have open with dish resources. i can tell the new remote is going to be great if i ever survive the learning curve. [g]

/guy

yes and yes. i just don't understand why my tv is reporting that cnn is coming in as 4k as i doubt that's the case unless dish is providing it at that resolution and doubt they are. i thought i read in some reviews that dish was providing some test 4k content just for this sort of thing--making sure the tv is seeing 4k as 4k.

/guy

I've noticed that when you use the sports bar mode, the signal stays in 4K even when you exit. It's stays in 4K until you turn it off.

Reactions: gteague
i've just now noticed that what dish reports it's sending as far as resolution is unreliable and i think my tv is just reporting what dish relays to it. just a few minutes ago i said that cnn was reporting as 2160p. now it's reporting as 1080i which is what is expected. as is izombie which is a lower quality fx show and not in hd afaik.

also, i noticed the thumbnail images in searches and menus are not populated, or only very rarely. and when i enter a few characters of a show, it doesn't appear--i have to shift over to the right and click the default search which reports as zero. lot of bugs her methinks.

and i can't believe i can't find a way to search by category. it seems to have been completely ripped out of the system.

/guy

I just got the new Hopper 3 installed 2 days ago & I am really amazed & pleased with it's speed & accuracy. But one question I do have is regarding Netflix & 4K. When I went to Netflix & signed in, I did not see a separate row for4K. And when I clicked on the programs that I knew Netflix was broadcasting in 4K, it was definitely not 4K. However I also have a Roku 4 & when I select the Netflix app from it. it gives me that separate row showing all the 4K choices. Is there an issue with the Hopper 3 & Netflix (4K) or is that feature just not available? I've read posts here where some are getting it & others aren't. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

i had read some reviews which said that the hopper was supposed to isolate and show you the 4k content as a separate module, but so far i see no sign of it.

on netflix (and amazon) i search for 'uhd' or '4k' to bring up the 4k shows. netflix has had a 4k line in the past, but it comes and goes.

/guy

just on the off chance no one has noted this, or, like me, hasn't made it through the previous 48 pages of this thread: i was sorely missing my hard key for /pip/. i had figured out that in multi-view with 4 screens, the /recall/ key would cycle clockwise around the screen. and you could use the arrows to move in other directions as well. but i was playing around with the other /pip/ settings such as side-by-side and /small/ and noted that the /input/ key does the same thing the /pip/ key used to, i.e., toggle from left to right or from large to small. i was tickled to discover this as i live in /pip/ mode and with 4 screens i doubt i'll ever leave it.

otoh, it's still taking me five minutes to remember how to do stuff that was instinctive on my 40.0 remote such as hitting the /red/ key to show the tuners. and i can understand not having a dedicated key--i mean, with 16 tuners it's not like you're going to have to monitor their use that often.

also, i saw many posts out there saying people couldn't move their external drive shows back to the mother ship, but i moved one and tested it with 100% success. but you still can't create a folder on the external hd even though the directory screen invites you to do so--what a tease! [g]

oh, and one more thing. i thought the h3 had 2xusb3 ports, but it actually has 2xusb2 and 1xusb3. i'm glad i saw that before i ordered another usb3 drive.

/guy

oh, and one major annoyance i had with the 40.0 remote was that the volume keys 'bounced'. in other words, even if i barely tapped volume /up/ or /down/, it would turn the volume up or down by 2-5 steps. i even tried to teach the volume to the buttons which used to work with my harmony remotes, but it didn't help. the new 52.0 remote works perfectly and i no longer have to try those 5ms taps to step the volume in the smallest increments.

/guy

just on the off chance no one has noted this, or, like me, hasn't made it through the previous 48 pages of this thread: i was sorely missing my hard key for /pip/. i had figured out that in multi-view with 4 screens, the /recall/ key would cycle clockwise around the screen. and you could use the arrows to move in other directions as well. but i was playing around with the other /pip/ settings such as side-by-side and /small/ and noted that the /input/ key does the same thing the /pip/ key used to, i.e., toggle from left to right or from large to small. i was tickled to discover this as i live in /pip/ mode and with 4 screens i doubt i'll ever leave it.

otoh, it's still taking me five minutes to remember how to do stuff that was instinctive on my 40.0 remote such as hitting the /red/ key to show the tuners. and i can understand not having a dedicated key--i mean, with 16 tuners it's not like you're going to have to monitor their use that often.

also, i saw many posts out there saying people couldn't move their external drive shows back to the mother ship, but i moved one and tested it with 100% success. but you still can't create a folder on the external hd even though the directory screen invites you to do so--what a tease! [g]

oh, and one more thing. i thought the h3 had 2xusb3 ports, but it actually has 2xusb2 and 1xusb3. i'm glad i saw that before i ordered another usb3 drive.

/guy
I've heard that you can use a hub to take advantage of more than 1 USB 3 EHD.

tks for reminding me about the hub--good tip. but i already have a couple of usb3 docks where you can simply plug in internal sata drives when one runs out of space. not entirely sure dish would support this method, but i really don't see why not.

btw, when i woke up today i noticed that a lot of stuff had filled in that wasn't there before. i suspect that it needed a period of no activity to load this stuff up. i also noticed that the software for browsing shows and movies has improved to an impressive extent--not quite tivo-level, but getting there.

i still can find no way to search by category or rating or other criteria though. and it looks like they removed the ability to do the number pad typing where you could hit the number key /2/ three times to type a /c/.

oh, and we were talking about 4k content--along with the new stuff that came in was a /4k/ indicator in the guide and in the /vod/ section there are two 4k items. i didn't check yet to see if they're charging for them, but hopefully these are the dish 4k demos i was saying yesterday that some said were available.
/guy

I don't believe that Netflix is working yet on the Joey.. Should be coming in a future release.

the installer yesterday said that he got 4k joeys when they came out so he'd be ready for netflix, but he told me the 4k joeys aren't working with netflix yet. i didn't pay a lot of attention since i don't have joeys, but he said there's another model of joey that does work. sorry i can't remember which one he said.

/guy

i had read some reviews which said that the hopper was supposed to isolate and show you the 4k content as a separate module, but so far i see no sign of it.

on netflix (and amazon) i search for 'uhd' or '4k' to bring up the 4k shows. netflix has had a 4k line in the past, but it comes and goes.

/guy

I don't see a separate line for 4K movies/shows like I do on my Roku 4. When I select the Netflix channel in Dish, after I sign in, it immediately starts showing what is on, but again, shows nothing in 4K. Just to check, right after this, I went to my Roku 4 & selected Netflix & it did show a separate line which was entitled 4K.
I've read in several threads as well as another forum that Dish does not yet have 4K in Netflix. Can anyone clarify this?

Ken

all i can say for sure is that when i play fireplace 4k in netflix my tv reports 2160p input. but then again i've noticed that the h3 seems to have problems shifting from 1080p to 4k and back again. or it might do so, but it's not reporting the status correctly until it 'catches up'.

i just re-read a review on here and there is indeed demo 4k content in the /vod/ section of the guide. what i would do is play one of those and figure out how to display the input resolution on your tv. note what it is. then pull up netflix 4k content such as the fireplace 4k and note what your tv says about it.. surely this will help you troubleshoot whatever issue you have.

/guy

Last edited:
all i can say for sure is that when i play fireplace 4k in netflix my tv reports 2160p input. but then again i've noticed that the h3 seems to have problems shifting from 1080p to 4k and back again. or it might do so, but it's not reporting the status correctly until it 'catches up'.

i just re-read a review on here and there is indeed demo 4k content in the /vod/ section of the guide. what i would do is play one of those and figure out how to display the input resolution on your tv. note what it is. then pull up netflix 4k content such as the fireplace 4k and note what your tv says about it.. surely this will help you troubleshoot whatever issue you have.

/guy

Thanks; I'll give that a try.

Ken

well, never mind. i just checked and dish wants $8 to play these two 4k items in /vod/. i guess the reviewers got freebies. but you could use your roku to make sure your tv is reporting 4k input, then move the dish to that same tv input and try netflix.

i also just confirmed that doing a search from dish for '4k' or 'uhd' yields nothing at all. i think that ties in with my whining about no category or 'seek and record' search. at least not that i've found yet. i'm digging much deeper today.

/guy

yep, you're right. that 4k section wasn't there last night when i told you to manually search for 4k stuff. funny thing, when i found a list of netflix 4k content last night, it included 'the holiday' and i eagerly went to netflix to put that on my list, but was disappointed to find that it wasn't 4k. but just now i see it's in the ultrahd 4k list and indeed is 4k. so i guess i'd better watch it again (for the 3rd time, i think!) before it disappears again. it'll be a good test for the new dish setup and would make half of a fantastic 4k doubleheader when you throw in 'groundhog day' which i've seen just as many times. /guy

Very interesting; I just went back into Netflix & it's now showing the 4K movie selections, whereas yesterday it wasn't. So I guess you were absolutely correct in that it's an on again-off again thing.
Thanks,

How consistent is your internet? If you load Netflix and you're not meeting criteria, 4K won't show up.

good point. if it goes out again he can run speedtest.

i'm having problems of my own. twice now i've gone into the /settings/remote/ section and changed one or another items and when i backed out of it both my main and pip screens went to total snow. both times it's been completely unrecoverable with a full reset.

also, dish anywhere needs an update for ios. last update is dec 2015.

/guy

folks, i got major problems. i'm getting snowed out while just watching cable news channels and i can't find any way to recover than a restart. my internet is solid as a rock and i can't find any problems by running the diagnostics. i tried playing a recording and the cable channel is still in the background--it's truly bizarre. all the settings and guide screen work though. perhaps some sort of resolution problem? /guy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)