Offset Ku LNBF on prime focus BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
First off, I know this is not ideal. But money being what it is, it's what I want information on and experiences with.

I haven't used my 1 meter Ku dish in I don't know how long. My Azbox refuses to drive it with usals. The dish is in the way of me mowing my lawn against the house because it's mounted so low to the ground and there is nothing at this time I can do about that.

I realize that putting Ku on my 10 footer will result in about a 1 meter dish level of performance at best which is fine for my usage. I don't have the cash for a bullseye II feed and lnbs otherwise I'd just do it and brag about it :)

What I want to do is strap or suspend an offset Ku lnb to the side of my existing ortho mode feed on my bud. I want to know if there are any better ways than worse ways to do this as the feed on the bud is about 12 feet off the ground when pointed at 139w.

I have never tried what you are talking about but I think I remember some folks doing it with a circular LNBF back when there was still some ITC circular stuff.

I would think it's worth a try, maybe somebody will comment on their success with a linear LNBF. As high as your dish is it would be good to know that it might work before you started. ;)

Cadsulfide said:
Cracklin'

Send that musty old 1M meter to me...I'll find space in the lineup....I like fixed Ku dishes :)

I might also swap it with a buddy for the T90 I used to have, except that it's a 90 cm equivalent. I may keep it up and fix it on AMC21. Without the motor the lawn mower makes it under no problem. But Ive been using SES1 for PBS. But occasionally the wife wants to watch Create and that's not on C-band as far as I know.

The bud can see from NSS10 through G18. The 1m out front sees 72w to 129w. Better to have Ku on the bud for sight purposes anyway.

The LNBF needs to be as close to the feedhorn as possible and placed on the vertical plane to optimize the reflected signal. It is easiest to mount the KU LNBF on the scalar edge.

If the KU-band LNBF is placed on the east side of the feedhorn and on the scalar edge, drive the dish approximately 5 or 6 degrees towards the east of the targeted satellite and handhold the KU-band LNBF near the scalar edge to determine the correct vertical placement. The skew will be slightly counter-clockwise from the centered feedhorn.

Use a 1 1/2" electrical conduit hanger to mount the LNBF to the edge of the scalar. I cut a 3" slot in the scalar edge to allow the mounting screw to slide up/down to optimize the vertical placement.

Remember to program the dish aiming offset for each KU satellite position.

I've been thinking about how to do this for a few days. The scalar on my dish is held in place by a large clamp which is suspended from four struts. And the struts are installed on the vertical and horizontal planes. I knew this was inconvenient as soon as I installed the ortho but what's done is done.

Dunno if the picture shows it too clearly or not. This is before the ortho. I'd take a closer one but I'm currently visiting inlaws and I'm going stir crazy.

Attachments

• image-3727352949.jpg
    image-3727352949.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 226
  • image-3942867982.jpg
    image-3942867982.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 238
First off, I know this is not ideal. But money being what it is, it's what I want information on and experiences with.

I haven't used my 1 meter Ku dish in I don't know how long. The dish is in the way of me mowing my lawn against the house because it's mounted so low to the ground and there is nothing at this time I can do about that.
OK, I read this about 10 times and kept thinking something is wrong.... Then after I got the air conditioning running >>>>>,,,,,>>>>>> got to catch it ... wrong joke... I remembered a friend who took a 3' piece of the right sized muffler pipe, had it swedged out to slip over the too short pipe and added about 2 1/2 feet of height which got the dish up high enough with out getting too wobbly. This will not help the motor problem, but may give you some hope - and maybe some ideas to get the motor workable. I think he welded the two pipes together, but that was not important enough to me to remember.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts