Oh, please say it isn’t so…

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I hate corporate mergers. That much closer to a monopoly. Please don’t let this happen!

With AT&T hurdle removed, DirecTV/Dish merger back on table - report

With AT&T hurdle removed, DirecTV/Dish merger back on table - report (NYSE:T)

Aug. 18, 2021 10:01 AM ETAT&T Inc. (T), DISHBy: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor24 Comments

DIRECTV Satellite Dish
hapabapa/iStock Editorial via Getty Images

Realistically there's almost going to have to be a merger in order for the satellite TV business to survive more than a few years. All the satellites both companies utilize are getting up there in service years (according to a recent article all are at least 10 years old with an expected service life of 15 years) and new satellites are prohibitively expensive for a fading business. With Starlink becoming a viable alternative for rural internet, streaming will be available to most people who desire it. A merger may prolong the business model a few years.

Between Spacelink and the billions of dollars being thrown at the telcos,cable companies and fiber coops I'd say 99 percent of rural America will have access to decent internet by 2026 at the latest.
On the other hand I'm sticking with Dish for at least 2 more years and I've had Charter internet for years.It's not always about dollars.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Between Spacelink and the billions of dollars being thrown at the telcos,cable companies and fiber coops I'd say 99 percent of rural America will have access to decent internet by 2026 at the latest.
On the other hand I'm sticking with Dish for at least 2 more years and I've had Charter internet for years.It's not always about dollars.
This has nothing to do with Dish is a great company and sticking with them, the problem for live providers is all the broadcasters are throwing the money towards streaming, not the live TV model.

Use FX for example, you can get certain shows on a Live TV service, but to get all their shows you have to get Hulu, which has all the shows on Live FX the next day and the FX on Hulu shows which are not on the live channel.

Disney is another example, instead on building up The Disney Channel ( which is a expensive channel for providers to carry) they put up their must watch stuff on Disney+ and the content from the live channel.

And now Discovery is doing the same thing.

If I can get all the content ( and more) from streaming services, why pay for a Live TV service also, that is the problem traditional providers have.

Yep, new and/or different shows are being made streaming only these days and VOD services are getting them, more so than the traditional live channels.

I don’t sub to cable/sat or a live streaming service, just all VOD and the only show I can’t get that is of interest is Animal Kingdom.

Yep, new and/or different shows are being made streaming only these days and VOD services are getting them, more so than the traditional live channels.

I don’t sub to cable/sat or a live streaming service, just all VOD and the only show I can’t get that is of interest is Animal Kingdom.
Prime when the season is done, the first four are there.

Even the networks have gone to streaming. CBS Now has original programming on streaming. NBC has the Peacock and so on.

The idea that either Musk or the government are going to actually be able to provide, or be interested in providing, proper internet, or proper TV, to rural America, is naive. Also the idea that everyone, or even most people want to join the cord-cutter minority, is just insular.

Therefore satellite TV will remain an important part of the life of rural America for a long time to come.

As to a potential merger of the two, totally incomparable, systems, there is little to be gained, other than monopoly pricing power over the one segment of the population with little/no choice of providers. Also, the market segment aimed at by by the two companies is, and always has been, the opposite ends of the price and thus quality spectrum.

The idea that either Musk or the government are going to actually be able to provide, or be interested in providing, proper internet, or proper TV, to rural America, is naive. Also the idea that everyone, or even most people want to join the cord-cutter minority, is just insular.

Therefore satellite TV will remain an important part of the life of rural America for a long time to come.

As to a potential merger of the two, totally incomparable, systems, there is little to be gained, other than monopoly pricing power over the one segment of the population with little/no choice of providers. Also, the market segment aimed at by by the two companies is, and always has been, the opposite ends of the price and thus quality spectrum.
Although I agree with you, it never was that way...Now we are to cheap!....We brought electricity to every home....We did it with our wired phone system, and we built an interstate hi way system from east to west.
We can do it, just to cheap, to help the masses

What did you do before satellite tv..you might be doing it again in 10 years or so

What did you do before satellite tv..you might be doing it again in 10 years or so
I live in a city, but most rural Americans, particularly those in mountainous areas, simply did not have TV at all, or were the victims of the early cable (CATV) companies, whose business plan was to provider minimum service at the maximum price (IMHO, this outlook remains at Big Cable to this day, which is why Big Cable is so awful, but I digress). The BUD and then DBS were godsends for rural Americans.

And the Market, in its perfection, abhors a need. The original idea of DBS was aimed at rural people beyond the reach of cable. It was only cable’s 0 effort customer service that made DBS able to get a foothold as a better alternative to cable. But the original customer base, upon which the whole idea was predicated, is still there. Millions of people beyond the reach of good internet and millions more beyond the reach of a cable company that gives a darn.

Which is why that niche will be filled, for years to come.

I live in a city, but most rural Americans, particularly those in mountainous areas, simply did not have TV at all, or were the victims of the early cable (CATV) companies, whose business plan was to provider minimum service at the maximum price (IMHO, this outlook remains at Big Cable to this day, which is why Big Cable is so awful, but I digress). The BUD and then DBS were godsends for rural Americans.

And the Market, in its perfection, abhors a need. The original idea of DBS was aimed at rural people beyond the reach of cable. It was only cable’s 0 effort customer service that made DBS able to get a foothold as a better alternative to cable. But the original customer base, upon which the whole idea was predicated, is still there. Millions of people beyond the reach of good internet and millions more beyond the reach of a cable company that gives a darn.

Which is why that niche will be filled, for years to come.
They will go back to the healthy active lifestyle that most people had before cable tv

The idea that either Musk or the government are going to actually be able to provide, or be interested in providing, proper internet, or proper TV, to rural America, is naive.
Starlink already has a broad reach, and will have a global reach when Musk finishes building his constellation. There are over 1700 Starlink satellites in orbit right now providing service to mid latitudes (45-53N) to over 90K customers. Musk thinks he'll reach half a million within a year.
Millions of people beyond the reach of good internet and millions more beyond the reach of a cable company that gives a darn.
See above.

Starlink already has a broad reach, and will have a global reach when Musk finishes building his constellation. There are over 1700 Starlink satellites in orbit right now providing service to mid latitudes (45-53N) to over 90K customers. Musk thinks he'll reach half a million within a year.

See above.

Attachments

• 501E760B-58B4-40CB-BF58-9C16E4487700.jpeg
    501E760B-58B4-40CB-BF58-9C16E4487700.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 198

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)