Who will win?

• Ohio State

Votes: 69 61.6%
  • Florida

Votes: 43 38.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So ones teams whinning is another teams campaigning. I personally think that the only reason Michigan did not drop in the polls is that they had an extra game or two on all the other teams. They were 11-1, USC 9-1 and Florida 10-1.

It became whinning when it was obvious they weren't gonna let it go AFTER the game was given to FLA. It was campaigning BEFORE the game was announced.

Regarding Urban's change of opinion - Jimbo is right, but the reason is well documented. He got to the SEC, realized how difficult the conference was, and that a 12-1 or 11-2 SEC team could be every bit as good or better than a 12-0 or 13-0 PAC-10/Big 10 school - but they would be robbed by the "opinion" system. Urban has more credibility to change his mind than someone who has been in the Pac-10 Big-12, or Big-10 enjoying easy conference championships the last few years.

Chris

It became whinning when it was obvious they weren't gonna let it go AFTER the game was given to FLA. It was campaigning BEFORE the game was announced.

Regarding Urban's change of opinion - Jimbo is right, but the reason is well documented. He got to the SEC, realized how difficult the conference was, and that a 12-1 or 11-2 SEC team could be every bit as good or better than a 12-0 or 13-0 PAC-10/Big 10 school - but they would be robbed by the "opinion" system. Urban has more credibility to change his mind than someone who has been in the Pac-10 Big-12, or Big-10 enjoying easy conference championships the last few years.

Chris

Easy conferences ???
Urban can be lucky at 12-1 or what ever it is to be able to even play against a 12-0 BIG TEN team.
you make it sound like the Big Ten is nothing but scrubs, well if you look at your all to mighty SEC teams you will find PLENTY of easy teams, as I have mentioned previously. Keep in mind that ARKANSAS is not a typical powerhouse.

You fabulous SEC has the likes of Vanderbuilt, Miss. State, Mississippi, Kentucky, And normally average at best Arkansas, and a struggling Alabama team for the last 5+ years, S. Carolina was nothing before Spurrior got there and is not a whole lot better now, they too are one of these up one year and down the next teams, and Georgia is better than them, but far from top 5 that you claim your conference teams deserve,so before you bash the Big Ten, you better look in the mirror.
Yes they have thier share of easy teams, but each year, one of the normally bad teams step up and are accounted for.

Jimbo

Last edited:
yeah and the big ten has illinois, indiana, northwestern.........we can argue this until we are all blue in the face.

now, you folks may not agree with me but i susbscribe to the conspiracy theory that the people voting in the polls kept waiting for florida to lose another game. they didn't. and then they defeated a very tough arkansas team that wasn't projected as a pre-season top 25!!

it is also well documented in these parts that since meyer has come to the SEC, he's learned that defense will win you more games than offense. he also says he doesn't like to embarass opponents, much like spurrier did.

yes, they came from behind in games where they squandered big leads. but they found ways to win. that's what matters to me!!

yeah and the big ten has illinois, indiana, northwestern.........we can argue this until we are all blue in the face.

now, you folks may not agree with me but i susbscribe to the conspiracy theory that the people voting in the polls kept waiting for florida to lose another game. they didn't. and then they defeated a very tough arkansas team that wasn't projected as a pre-season top 25!!

it is also well documented in these parts that since meyer has come to the SEC, he's learned that defense will win you more games than offense. he also says he doesn't like to embarass opponents, much like spurrier did.

yes, they came from behind in games where they squandered big leads. but they found ways to win. that's what matters to me!!
Yes but I am sick of hearing how tough the SEC is. Now that that that myth has been debunked, you can see how badly Michigan got screwed. Its like not wanting to see ALI vs Frasier II.

As I said, both conferences have thier scrubs that step up from time to time. In a year or two Arkansas will be right back where they normally are, not picking on them, it's just their not a normal powerhouse.
Also , I mentioed that the Big Ten has their bottom feeders too. :hungry:

Jimbo

Easy conferences ???
Urban can be lucky at 12-1 or what ever it is to be able to even play against a 12-0 BIG TEN team.
you make it sound like the Big Ten is nothing but scrubs, well if you look at your all to mighty SEC teams you will find PLENTY of easy teams, as I have mentioned previously. Keep in mind that ARKANSAS is not a typical powerhouse.

You fabulous SEC has the likes of Vanderbuilt, Miss. State, Mississippi, Kentucky, And normally average at best Arkansas, and a struggling Alabama team for the last 5+ years, S. Carolina was nothing before Spurrior got there and is not a whole lot better now, they too are one of these up one year and down the next teams, and Georgia is better than them, but far from top 5 that you claim your conference teams deserve,so before you bash the Big Ten, you better look in the mirror.
Yes they have thier share of easy teams, but each year, one of the normally bad teams step up and are accounted for.

Jimbo

Kentucky beat Georgia this year. :)

You name all the patsy teams from the SEC but you didn't name the longer list that comes from the Big 10. All but maybe 3 or 4 teams.

speaking of patsies from the big ten, a moment of love for ron zook. yeah, we hated him when he was in gainesville (well, i didn't........he just never had a chance following what's his name). in case, no one else paid attention, zooker was the only head coach from the big ten who voted in last weeks poll that moved florida to number 2!!

i can't speak for any other die hard gator fans, but zooker, i'd vote you a championship ring when we stun the buckeyes.

okay, off my high horse for now!!

speaking of patsies from the big ten, a moment of love for ron zook. yeah, we hated him when he was in gainesville (well, i didn't........he just never had a chance following what's his name). in case, no one else paid attention, zooker was the only head coach from the big ten who voted in last weeks poll that moved florida to number 2!!

i can't speak for any other die hard gator fans, but zooker, i'd vote you a championship ring when we stun the buckeyes.

okay, off my high horse for now!!

Wait a minute, you just said that Zook is the only head coach from the Big Ten that voted .....

Do you have any documentation to show this to be true ?
I really hope so, If so, that should quit all the complaining about Coach Tressel not voting.
I am absolutly positive that LLLLLoyd Carr voted.

Jimbo

Kentucky beat Georgia this year. :)

You name all the patsy teams from the SEC but you didn't name the longer list that comes from the Big 10. All but maybe 3 or 4 teams.

Who else did Kentucky beat this year ?

I DID mention the Big Ten teams that played poor this year in several different posts, just got tired of re typing.

I looked at the bottom 6 teams in each league, also I don't expect Arkansas to be up there much longer, maybe next year,maybe not, so they were included in your Good list this year.

Jimbo

I was not talking about Michigan in my post. I was talking about Florida doing all their whining (excuse me: campaigning) before the game was announced.

yeah, jimbo, i saw it online and also in an orlando sentinel column. i said zook was the only big 10 coach who voted florida up to number 2. i didn't say he was the only big 10 coach who voted. i apologize if you misunderstood.

same thing about meyer and a playoff. i wasn't clear enough....i should have clarified, he's been saying this season at florida!!

i don't honestly remember who kentucy beat this season but they are going to a bowl game......very significant!

i don't honestly remember who kentucy beat this season but they are going to a bowl game......very significant!

Not Significant, as I mentioned in a previous post, OVER half of the division 1 teams go to a bowl game, 117 teams, 32 bowl games x 2 teams 64 teams bowling, thats rediculous, I'm sure that, that is way more than we have good teams.

i think the kentucky fans would disagree as this is the fist bowl game they have gone to in ages.

you, me and most people would just sigh ``ho hum.''

Thank the greedy university presidents that reside at universities that are NOT known for good programs....they were jealous and wanted a piece of the $$$ pie.

Not Significant, as I mentioned in a previous post, OVER half of the division 1 teams go to a bowl game, 117 teams, 32 bowl games x 2 teams 64 teams bowling, thats rediculous, I'm sure that, that is way more than we have good teams.

Yeah I would disagree, because this is the first bowl they have gone to in a while. They beat Georgia. May not be a big deal this season but they hadn't beat them in many years.

Yeah I would disagree, because this is the first bowl they have gone to in a while. They beat Georgia. May not be a big deal this season but they hadn't beat them in many years.

Kentucky went 7-5, I guess that would qualify for a bowl game :) ,
I personally think you should have to win 8 games to get into a bowl game (in a 12 game season, more than 1 game over .500) but now with all the bowl games, I would not be suprised to see a .500 team go to a bowl.

Just WAY to many bowl games.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Come on JIMBO, too many bowl games? I'm for anything that gives me more football to watch. It's fun for everybody and good for the economy of the areas hosting the games. I want a playoff, but the smaller schools and also rans deserve some fun too. Who's it gonna hurt? Besides nobody's making you watch.

Kentucky went 7-5, I guess that wiould qualify for a bowl game :) ,
I personally think you should have to win 8 games to get into a bowl game (in a 12 game season, more than 1 game over .500) but now with all the bowl games, I would not be suprised to see a .500 team go to a bowl.

Just WAY to many bowl games.

Jimbo

I agree, it's taken a lot of the prestige of making it to a bowl away. Even teams that have had a crappy year can still be bowl eligible but as we know it's all about money not records.

Come on JIMBO, too many bowl games? I'm for anything that gives me more football to watch. It's fun for everybody and good for the economy of the areas hosting the games. I want a playoff, but the smaller schools and also rans deserve some fun too. Who's it gonna hurt? Besides nobody's making you watch.

Come on Paul,
You want to reward a team that is 7-5, slightly better than average, I wouldn't doubt that a 6-6 team might get in.

What ever happened to rewarding teams with good to great records with a trip to a bowl game.

I still think there needs to be requirements to get to one, in a 12 game season, I think you should have to win 8 games, of course that doesn't work for Notre Dame, they always get in to a high profile game ....Regardless....
ND is taking a BCS bowl game that should go to another team, at least this year.

Do they really belong in a BCS bowl game ?
I don't think they should even be in the top 10.

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)