OK all you dtv pros

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bsk116

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Too frikin far north
Iv'e been a DTV subscriber for several years, lurked in this forum for a year a so and Iv'e never called retention and now I would like some advise on how to proceed.
I live in northern Maine, subscribe to two of the three distant networks (our local CBS affiliate will not grant waivers) so I install an ugly ota antenna which works ok but what I really want advise on is equipment.
Several years ago I purchased a Sony sathd300 which has worked flawlessly and still does. Should I upgrade to the latest DTV HD receiver or keep my Sony? The Sony was a very expensive receiver at the time so I hate to sell it but I feel I may be missing out on something. In other words, will upgrading my equipment give me any significant gains over what I have now? I do have the triple lnb dish and subscribe to high definition so Is this present setup as good as it gets?

you'll probably want the 5 lnb dish soon because you'll need it in order to get all the programming that dtv is going to offer

I had the same Sony and miss it.

IMHO, unless you're looking for a HD DVR and need it right now just hold off, unless you can find a HR10-250 for sale somewhere. That is unless you fall withing the Portland DMA for reception, it's been reported that D* fired up the HD versions of CBS, NBC and ABC (no FOX) in Portland today, if you can get those then you'll need to upgrade to either the H20 or HR20 and the AT-9 dish so you can receive them. Other then the Portland HD locals there's nothing else being sent in MPEG4 by D* at the moment, additional MPEG4 channels aren't due to some time next year (maybe Spring).

The new HD receivers and the AT9 dish will be needed to get the MPEG4 channels. Unless you need a MPEG4 channel that you aren't getting now there is nothing to be gained by upgrading. In 2007 D* will be adding National HD channels, at that time you may want to upgrade but by then the new Slimline dish will be available and prices on HD receivers may drop some more.

Thank you all for your advice. Reading your comments raises a couple more questions one being how do find out if mpeg 4 channels are available in my area? Another is what is RSN, ( I didn't see it in the glossary) and finally, regarding the Portland, ME feeds, I am getting abc, nbc and fox in HD channels 82,86,88 respectively and non HD abc,nbc, fox channels 382 thru 388 east and west. I am paying 2.25 each for the three east and west feeds. I subscribe to total choice- no locals and the HD package. If I have the two networks and fox in HD, why should I pay for the same channels not HD? Seems like overkill to me.

I called today to see where they were on the new HD-DVR as I wanted at least one.

I am a ST subscriber and longtime D* subscriber. THe HD-DVR are on backorder for about 2 1/2 months, the CSR told me to sign up online for the priority waitlist (which I did). In the mean time, I just bought a WinBook 46" LCD so I want HDTV ASAP as the s-vid SD just sucks.

So CSR gave me

-Free HD Reciever (non-DVR)
-Free SD DVR (necessary for the 5LNB dish)
-4 months Free HD programming
-Free install of 5 LNB dish and OTA dish HD antenna
- Upgraded the rest of the season of my ST to Super Fan for free

The only thing I had to pay for was a S/H fee and commit for 2 years.

The interesting thing the CSR told me was that D* is in process of having two boeing manufactured satellites ready to launch in the next 6-8 months; they said by June 2007 they would have 150+ channels of HD programming available and that D* HDTV program would be superior to anything out there. (I would break my D* for Fios when it is up and going in RI, I believe Fios to be the best thing out there eventually, but that's another story.)

I pressed to find out what kind of programming, like would the bulk of the SD programming convert to HD and the CSR wasn't sure but said some of the outdoor channels would be (e.g HGTV). I won't hold my breathe for 150+ channels of HD. I'm pleased with ST in HD and my locals. So no biggie.

Thank you all for your advice. Reading your comments raises a couple more questions one being how do find out if mpeg 4 channels are available in my area? Another is what is RSN, ( I didn't see it in the glossary) and finally, regarding the Portland, ME feeds, I am getting abc, nbc and fox in HD channels 82,86,88 respectively and non HD abc,nbc, fox channels 382 thru 388 east and west. I am paying 2.25 each for the three east and west feeds. I subscribe to total choice- no locals and the HD package. If I have the two networks and fox in HD, why should I pay for the same channels not HD? Seems like overkill to me.

Because if you fall within the Portland DMA you will be getting Portland local channels in HD from the 5 lnb dish. When you say Northern Maine do you mean the "county"?

First of all, thanks charper1 for the links, no go w/mpeg4, I did know what rsn stood for, brain fart on my behalf, and I do get abc, nbc and fox dns's. What I don't know is am I needlessly paying for them when I can view them on channels 82,86 and 88?
As for you dknow, (I like the old pats avatar) I'm surprised you know about the "county".
Hey charper1, how do you add your a/v equipment to your page?

I monkeyed around in my account and typed the info in the "tell us about you area". I really am trying to figure this out without always asking for help.

If you are asking why the SD DNS channels are paid and the HD DNS channels are free, it's because the HD DNS channels are included in the price of the SD DNS channels, not the HD package. If you were to cancel your SD DNS channels, you would have to start paying for the HD DNS channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.