OK bought a motor - now more questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatboyZ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
First off - thanks to everyone in this forum for answering all of my newbie questions.

Just bought a sg2100 motor for my currently stationairy dish (on AMC9).
Using a Viewsat Extreme that does not seem to have up to date satellites listed in memory so I was going to manually set them with the motor. I am thinking that USALS and diseq1.2 are out because there is not the proper coordinates for each satellite. I manually entered a user one but there does not seem to be an option to list position.

Here is my real question: for my coordinates (80.2 longitude), the list gives me amc9@83 as true south but it does not have anything active on it. Can I use AMC5@79 instead?

I hope that manually entering positions will work for me.

Thanks again
Steve

oops..

I meant to say it lists true south as Galaxy 9 @81 instead. It does not seem to have any active transponders to lock on. The dish is currently aimed at 83 for RTV.

Thanks

Yes I do...

Usually watch Rockfish at 4 or 7 and just realized that Banacek is on Sunday mornings.

Steve

I'm assuming that the Motor is at Zero..
Have the receiver Drive the Motor to 83 west, readjust the Azimuth to peak signal, then tweak Dish Elevation if need be.

I think I am starting to understand goto X...

It must move a certain number of degrees when executed. I thought USALS was tied to the satellite name in memory and, for example, I do not have AMC9 listed at 83 degrees so I thought I could not use it. If I understand correctly now, I can use goto X to move it the save that location to any satellite name.

Is that correct?

Thanks again

Usually people ask about their True South satellite to help them align their motorized satellite dish. I personally, don't use my True South satellite. I prefer to use USALS to align the dish and it is much faster and more accurate.

Here is a video on how to align your motorized dish:

Steps to a successful motorized system installation:

• Select your installation site carefully!!!
  • There must be a clear line of sight between the required satellites and the entire surface of the dish. The line of sight must be free from obstructions, such as trees, roof tiles etc.
  • It is very important to make sure the HH motor is fixed to a perfectly vertical (plumb) mast (Picture 1). Time spent measuring this accurately will save you hours later on.

NOTE: Tighten all coaxial cable connections on the motor only by hand. Using a wrench may over-tighten the connections, causing damage. Such damage is not covered by the Limited warranty.

• If the HH motor shaft is not at zero degrees reference (picture 2), you should get it back to zero degrees by connecting the receiver to the motor. The receiver must be ON for the HH Motor to move. It’s easier to do this before placing the H-H Motor onto the mast. Once you have done this, the HH Motor should then be disconnected from the receiver. HH Motors are usually set to zero degrees by default from the factory.
  • Fit the H-H Motor onto the mast and do the nuts up finger tight.
  • Set the elevation angle for the motor. This angle should be equal to the latitude value of the installation location. Always use the Latitude scale on the motor.
  • Fit the dish on the H-H Motor shaft and tighten the nuts. The middle of the dish clamp must be lined up with the centre line on the H-H Motor arm. The LNBF arm, dish clamp, HH Motor, and mast must all be on the same straight line facing TRUE SOUTH.
  • Aiming at TRUE SOUTH: Find your TRUE SOUTH. Then using a compass, move the dish/motor assembly together as one unit to your TRUE SOUTH angle.
  • Dish elevation angle: Adjust the dish elevation angle to peak the signal. Dish elevation angle is calculated based on the model of the HH motor you are using.
  • Tighten the nuts on the HH Motor clamp attached to the supporting pole.
  • The LNBF arm, dish clamp, HH Motor, and mast must all be on the same straight line facing TRUE SOUTH
  • By following the above instructions accurately, you should now have installed your dish on the arc.

Testing your installation:

• Re-connect the receiver to the H-H Motor.
  • Use either USALS (easier) or DiSEqC 1.2 to move and align your dish.

Using USALS

With a USALS compliant receiver, you can use the USALS feature to easily locate the satellites.
  • In the USALS (or DiSEqC 1.3) menu, enter your Latitude (##.# N) and your Longitude (###.# W)
  • Select one of the FTA satellites such as G19 KU at 97W
  • Select MOVE
  • The Motor will now move the dish to where the satellite is.
  • When the motor stops, check the signal meter on your TV screen.
  • If you don't see Quality bar, then the your dish/motor alignment is off.

1. With the dish aimed at Galaxy 25 KU, start by adjusting your TRUE South as shown on picture 8 above. Move the whole assembly East/West a few degrees very very slowly.
  2. If you still don't see a Quality bar, adjust the dish elevation 1 degree up/down at a time, and sweep East/West again as on #1 above.
  3. Do not change the motor elevation.
  4. When you get the maximum quality, tighten the motor on the mast.
  5. Perform a Power Scan (this will also update the transponder in your receiver). When the scan is completed, move the dish (using USALS) to another satellite and verify that YOU ARE GETTING A GOOD SIGNAL AS WELL. If not, your TRUE SOUTH must be off.

Using DiSEqC 1.2

• Connect the LNB to a signal meter, or use the receiver signal meter on your TV screen.
  • With the satellite meter still connected, move the dish east by pressing the small east button underneath the H-H Motor (i.e. DG240) or by using the receiver's remote control.
  • Peak the signal on the meter for the farthest Eastern satellite in the horizon until you believe it is as good as you can get by moving both east and west.
  • With the satellite meter still connected select a Western satellite and move the dish west.
  • Peak the signal on the meter until you believe it is as good as you can get by moving both east and west.
  • Now, tighten the H-H mount on the supporting pole.

You are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
USALS is AWESOME! :)
Hi neighbor!I didn't realize till i saw the newington sponsorship and your location that we were so close.I went to newington High school and my parents still live in newington. PS! satboy! im a big RTV fan here!good luck on your new motorized set-up!I just got my new set up running a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Usually people ask about their True South satellite to help them align their motorized satellite dish. I personally, don't use my True South satellite. I prefer to use USALS to align the dish and it is much faster and more accurate.

Agreed, USALS is the best way to get a motorized dish aligned. Assuming that the '0' position in the motor is correctly set, it is easy to use USALS to move the dish to a satellite that's easy to peak on, then adjust the dish after the motor moves. No worries about true south...

Thanks for the replies guys but...

I still do not think that I can use USALS because I do not have many of the popular satellites in memory (83 for RTV).

I think my best option is to manually move the dish slightly west (1 degree) and save/ lock on amc 5 @ 79. Then move it to 72 and try for NBC then to 125 for PBS - manually saving posistions as I go. Then go back and fill in the missing ones inbetween after peaking the dish.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to approach this? I can not find the RS232 cable and would have to find a copy af channelmaster to update the sat list. As mentioned before, when I manually enter a new sateliite, I can not enter a degree posistion. I would hope that this way would work also.

Thanks again for your help - I hope to try this on Sunday.

Steve

I still do not think that I can use USALS because I do not have many of the popular satellites in memory (83 for RTV).
From Memory.......
Go to the Channel Scan menu, add a new Sat named "AMC9 Ku", add the RTN TP info (save), go to Anntenna Setup, find the new Sat, in it's USALS menu, enter 83.0 W, and select Move.

Or, pick an unused Sat, set it's Location to 83.0 "W" and select Move, goto Channel Scan and enter the RTP TP info, adjust Dish mechanically to lock TP.

Once Locked on the RTN TP, start cruising.

I think my best option is to manually move the dish slightly west (1 degree) and save/ lock on amc 5 @ 79. Then move it to 72 and try for NBC then to 125 for PBS - manually saving posistions as I go. Then go back and fill in the missing ones inbetween after peaking the dish.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to approach this? I can not find the RS232 cable and would have to find a copy af channelmaster to update the sat list. As mentioned before, when I manually enter a new sateliite, I can not enter a degree posistion. I would hope that this way would work also.

Thanks again for your help - I hope to try this on Sunday.

Steve

Steve,

You certainly can utilize USALS, even though many of the satellites are NOT listed in your receiver's list. You simply need to manually add them to your lineup. This is usually not too difficult, but you have to research the specific instructions for your specific receiver make and model regarding how to add them in. Every receiver is just a little different in the procedure.

Others have elluded to the FACT that you do not necessarily NEED to utilize the "true" south satellite in the setup process. This is true and correct. However, if your truest south satellite is very close to your site longitude and the satellite has a really strong and consistent signal that your receiver is able to detect and process, then it will certainly save you time and labor in the long run.

It is "best practice" to utilize the true south satellite if and when possible, but it is not a mandatory procedure. In reality, you can use any satellite to get started, but often, especially for someone just starting out, it may require you to do a little more legwork and extra fine tuning in the long run.

For your specific longitude, you should have little worry. You have two pretty good satellites to work with which are both very close to your true south. You indicated that your longitude was 80.2°W or 80.3°W so either sat (79.0°W and 83.0°W) will work fine for you.

I would opt for AMC 5 @ 79.0°W personally and search for TP 11900 MHz @ 2170 KS/s SR Horizontal polarity. This would bring in the KTEL-DT channel, which is generally of a strong signal level/quality and would be closer to your site longitude.

The trick about using USALS is that you must dial in one satellite really well as a reference position so that the receiver and the motor can locate all the other satellites from that point. Using your truest or nearest south satellite is the simplest route to do this, since here you can set your dish elevation most easily to the highest angle that is required and rock or pan the azimuth angle back and forth just a bit to peak the signal to the optimum reception.

It becomes a little less apparent what you are doing if you try to utilize a satellite that is five or ten or more degrees away from your true south. Using USALS, the procedure it just the same, but you may struggle with the angles and the forces of gravity when making refined adjustments.

You also have to remember to set your motor position to ZERO degrees or true south, then enter your latitude and longitude coordinates of the site and then enter a satellite position into the receiver's memory and tell the motor to DRIVE to that satellite position before you start making mechanical adjustments.

If you leave the motor set at the ZERO position and try to dial in a satellite that is NOT your true south satellite, then you have defeated your whole entire purpose and you are working towards nothing that is legitimate.

Let's assume that your best true south satellite is 79.0°W, but at that position, you have a giant oak tree blocking your LOS or view of the satellite so that there is no way in heck you could ever utilize the signal from this satellite. What do you do?

First of all, set your motor latitude precisely to your site's geographic latitude coordinate. Use DishPointer or FreeHostia angle calculator (etc) to determine your recommended dish elevation and whole assembly azimuth angle settings. Physically set these angles accordingly. Set your motor (drive it with the receiver controls or use the manual controls on the motor itself) to zero degrees or its HOME position. Then, manually enter a satellite that you KNOW to be beyond the obstruction of that oak tree into your receiver's list. Add a known, strong and consistent transponder to that sat's list of TPs and then COMMAND the motor to MOVE to that satellite's position.

Next, physically pan your entire assembly (dish and motor on the mast) from east to west looking for the signal from that specific TP on that specific sat. If you don't locate it after being very careful and slow with your azimuth adjustments here, make a slight adjustment to your dish elevation and repeat the azimuth panning of the entire assembly. Keep repeating this process without changing the motor position via the receiver until you locate the PROPER satellite signal. The motor position according to where the receiver positioned it should be at the perfect location for this satellite, you just have to dial it in physically / mechanically outside to make it match. In other words, you have to "calibrate" the mechanical side of the dish and motor to what the "electronic" side of the receiver and motor thinks it is at.

In other words, once you have told the receiver which satellite you are looking for and the receiver commanded the motor to drive to that position, take that as gospel and don't go back and try to adjust anything electronically with your remote. The rest of the adjustments NEED to be performed mechanically at the dish and or motor. Once you have found that particular sat by making physical adjustments, you can go back to the remote and command the receiver and motor to try a different satellite using USALS and check the signal from that point. More fine adjustments will usually be required to fine tune the mechanical side of the dish and motor and LNBF to get the entire arc to come in to your expectations.

RADAR

I must add a NOTE to this. The entire process is simple. It is a matter of geometry and a little trigonometry in a simple sense, but don't let math get in the way, you don't have to do the calculations yourself or understand them to do any of this. The "BIG PICTURE" of this all is that this is a calibration process that takes a great deal of time and patience. This is where I see most DIY'ers stumble and fail. They think that this project is going to just fall right into place immediately because they followed the instructions and their dish will be perfectly aligned in minutes. Not true! This is a bit of an art. Don't let your lack of patience be your distraction or your stumbling block. Take your time, allow the information to gel and process nicely, and then don't expect to "git'er done" in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Success!!!

I went out this morning and mounted the motor and dish (even though it is very windy!) and got it to work in about 10 minutes. Locked on amc9 and peaked the dish.

I mistakenly thought that the positions were stored in memory from the factory and it was not until I actually wanted to move it that the option came up to enter the coordinates. I had went into the setup before but did not want to mess anything before I had the motor connected.

Anyways, I have setup AMC9,6, Galaxy28 and am scanning amc21 now.

Happy Camper!

Thanks again to all.

Steve

I went out this morning and mounted the motor and dish (even though it is very windy!) and got it to work in about 10 minutes. Locked on amc9 and peaked the dish.

I mistakenly thought that the positions were stored in memory from the factory and it was not until I actually wanted to move it that the option came up to enter the coordinates. I had went into the setup before but did not want to mess anything before I had the motor connected.

Anyways, I have setup AMC9,6, Galaxy28 and am scanning amc21 now.

Happy Camper!

Thanks again to all.

Steve

Awesome Steve!

Now that you are able to pick out some sats and channels you will find it all to become much more easy for you. Things are starting to fall into place for you and that is good! When you start seeing positive results like this, It really bolsters your confidence and fuels your drive to keep going. It just feels better when you can see positive results from your work and your persistence. Then, it starts to become fun, instead of work.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)