Ferdy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
Broussard, LA USA
Here is the message I sent to Voom on Friday:

Customer - 07/09/2004 06:24 PM
that I am not happy about the lack of channel scanning with my Voom service---

I know for a fact that all new customers that are being installed are getting boxes that do have OTA channel scanning capability--

When are you going to update the software in my box to give me this capability?

And here is the response that I got today:

Response (VOOM Customer Care) - 07/12/2004 08:24 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
The first transmission of this version went out this weekend and will continue in batches. If you experienced any problems with your guide this weekend, the update was the issue. However, all you have to do is hold the power button down on the receiver for ten seconds to correct this problem. Also we update your receiver during the night, so it would be best to put your receiver into standby mode by pressing the SAT button on your remote before you go to bed. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Joseph T. Grant
VOOM Email Support

:rolleyes:

I guess the two weeks is finally arrived-------

looks like maybe they are starting to push update here is answer to my questions recieved today from support.Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (VOOM Customer Care) - 07/12/2004 07:21 PM
I certainly apologize for any inconvenience this problem has caused you. The
program guide was down this weekend due to the new firmware updates. Your guide
should have come online now if not, try doing a hard boot on your receiver by
unplugging it for one minute. Your program guide should come on in 45 min to an
hour. If you still do not receive your program guide please call us at
1-800-GET-VOOM, and one of our customer support agents will be happy to assist
you. Once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Jennifer Bernsdorf
VOOM Email Support

I do not believe that the moderators here do not know about the push. I will believe it when users start reporting the push.

I have to presume that no one that follows this forum actually got the update over the weekend since no one has said so----

I had PG problems and I had to reboot it like 3 times to come back, but my upstairs STB was on the whole night (fell asleep at the wheel) and the other didn't pull in the update.

Anyone know if this is a newer version of the new software that's coming on the boxes currently being installed, or is it the same version?

I was installed this past Thursday so I got a box with the new software. I also had PG problems this weekend. Why would they push the new software on boxes that already have it??

Neutron, I was wondering if it might actually be a newer version of the new software that they're sending down. My box came with the new software too and I had all kinds of problems over the past two days. Guide, lockups, etc..etc...

Makes sense to me...

lostcause said:
Neutron, I was wondering if it might actually be a newer version of the new software that they're sending down. My box came with the new software too and I had all kinds of problems over the past two days. Guide, lockups, etc..etc...

check out Sean's comments in this post:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=22165

Looks to me like they "tested the waters" with some new boxes in the factory, used the customer feedback they received after their installation, and have already done some tweaking to the "new" code. And they are pushing the "tweaked" new software out in groups, not all at once. That would make sense, not to create a tech-support nightmare by pushing all the boxes at once. And if they found significant problems with the first "new" software (that they pre-installed), it would make sense to me to have them on an early push.

As far as the moderators not knowing, I have not seen them denying this yet, have you? ;)

Well, below is the word I received from VOOM Email Support. Some support techs say they are pushing the firmware in batches, while others say they have no information when they will make it available to subscribers.

So which one is it? :confused:

Hmmm. I get the feeling firmware is being pushed, but only to a select batch of beta testers. Perhaps system-wide imporvements were also made to the PG in order to fully integrate new firmware features? Of course, this is speculation. Maybe someone "in the know" can update this thread?

Subject
...when are we going to get new firmware for the Motorola STB?
There are too many known problems with the current firmware and
we (all Voom subscribers) could benefit from enhanced OTA features.

Thanks...<EOT>...

Discussion Thread
Response (VOOM Customer Care) - 07/12/2004 11:14 PM
That is an excellent question I am glad you asked, our newest
firmware upgrade will allow all receivers to scan for local channels,
meaning you will have the ability to receive more than what you are
mapped for. At this time we do not have any information as to when
we may make this upgrade available to our subscribers.
I would
advise leaving your receiver in standby at night when you go to sleep
(by pressing the "SAT" button on your remote) so that when
we do release it, your receiver will be able to receive it. If you
have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM
and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

VOOM Email Support

Sounds like they're debugging the new software with the few new boxes that have been installed with it.

If you were Voom, would you send it out to 20,000 boxes without some life testing on a much smaller population ahead of time?

Somthing is going on!

I came home last night and was flipping through the channels to find I was getting most of the premium HD channels, HBO, TMC, MAX, no SD just HD.

I have the standard 39.99 service. I checked the software this a.m. and it is still the old version. I am sure this is temporary, and it really doesn't mean much to me anyway, but I thought I would find out if anyone else is receiving this bonus material, or if it might relate to this thread.

Here's a better question. Why would you post that on a forum where people from VOOM actually read and post? Mistake or no mistake....enjoy the good fortune and ride it out for as long as possible.

Firmware being pushed NOW???

Ok, has anyone had the firmware updated pushed to them? If so, is it the same verision that came preloaded with the latest batch of receivers?

Discussion Thread
Response (VOOM Customer Care) - 07/13/2004 01:07 AM
We have already started to push our new firmware upgrade. If have
not already received the upgrade then you should receive it in the
next couple weeks. Please be sure to turn your receiver off at night
by pressing the "SAT" button on the remote. If you have
any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and
once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Jennifer Bernsdorf
VOOM Email Support

Customer - 07/12/2004 02:03 PM
...when is the new firmware is going to be pushed? We have been
waiting May...June...and now mid July. Personally, I need to be able
to:

-Scan OTA (pick up undocumented subchannels and channels)
-Manually Add DMAs (integrate 2 or more DMAs into Program Guide)
-Manually add/delete channels from the PG.

Thank you for your prompt and immediate action!!!

HeavyC said:
Here's a better question. Why would you post that on a forum where people from VOOM actually read and post? Mistake or no mistake....enjoy the good fortune and ride it out for as long as possible.
First it has been talked about in the program forum. I have not paid for this service, if Voom sees this and takes action they have every right. There are also some in other threads who feel cheated because they have paid for something that others are receiving free.
If I have caused you to loose your "good fortune" please accept my deepest apathy.

these bonus viewings are no accident. I have have had a 4DTV reciever for 10 years and HBO and the rest occasionally like to tease non-susscribers by opening their pipe. It looks good too. And while we are waiting for the new software, consider it a bonus from VOOM. I assure you it will not stay open for long.

Kentstater72 said:
First it has been talked about in the program forum. I have not paid for this service, if Voom sees this and takes action they have every right. There are also some in other threads who feel cheated because they have paid for something that others are receiving free.
If I have caused you to loose your "good fortune" please accept my deepest apathy.

I was joking.........kind of, but thanks for putting me in my place. :bow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)