OK, I'm impressed...

tonyp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 13, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Well, first satellite ever was 1997 DirecTV system that I bought and installed myself. Then in 2002 I switched to Dish, and honestly, never been impressed with their technology. Have had 301, 811, 211K, and now the hopper with one joey. It has been about 24 hours and I know big change from 301's I've been using for last couple of years (had leased 211k, hdtv broke and never upgraded to another receiver since got new HD couple years ago.) However, I can already tell, this is a whole different ball game, it beats anything else I've ever seen of DISH's. (had friends/family that had 722 and 922, 500 series too, and really and truly they didn't look any better than 301s menu/guide etc... This thing, Hopper with Sling (which I won't get to use because I get stuck with crappy satellite internet) and Joey is simply put AMAZING...

I'm sure, there will be and is bugs with this system, but it already beats anything else I've ever seen of Dish Networks... A+ to Dish finally, I'm impressed.

Seems to be the consensus most people who use it, they really like it. I will say though even to this day, the 722 or 612 or even the 211K are very good receivers, after all these years still better than some that Cable is using. Glad you like your system!

You can still use Dish Anywhere at your house since it slings from the Hopper directly to your smart phone or tablet over your home network.

I agree. As a long time Dish subscriber (15+ years), I've been through a few receivers and did the initial install myself. In the beginning we were pointing at one satellite and Dish shipped everything out for you to install.

The key however with the Hopper is proper cabling. The installer/contractor who came out when I upgraded reused all of the cabling that I had run. As they days passed, we kept finding more and more buggy issues with the Hopper. Technical support decided to send me a new Hopper because of the many issues. Prior to the new receiver arriving, I was having a particular bad day and was on the phone with tech support again. They dispatched a Dish employed service tech who discovered that the initial installer did not check the prior cabling and that the Hopper required 3GHZ rated cable. He completely rewired my home, removing some redundant cabling, an old grounding block and replacing my (at that time) good RG 6 cabling with the 3GHZ stuff. Bottom line the problems have virtually disappeared and when the replacement Hopper arrived, I just turned it back around and never opened the box. I feel sorry for the techs who chase their tails trying to resolve some of the problems reported, not knowing the condition of the cabling in the homes that previously had Dish service. After 8 months of use, I'm a very happy subscriber.

Jack

I've had the 301, 508, 721 and ViP722. Now the HWS. I've always preferred the Dish equipment over my friend's DirecTV and TiVo stuff. Certainly faster.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)