Ok, so Im buying back into gaming after many years, which console??

I did, I remember needing that when I had the ol 80gb in 2007.

Arent there some standard PQ settings, like Superwhite ON, ycbcr and something else it seems?

Thanks, that was all of it. Only real change IMO is that you would make HDMI audio bitstream since the Slim can pass HD audios now.

Im still Amazed Cnet has the Oppo 93 and PS3 Slim at it's only two "reference" players, but AV forums gave the video processing a very good review. It also passes all the Spears and Munsil Chroma and Luma tests.

Everything seems to be good, I threw 4 movies at it yesterday, audio video went off with out a hitch. I ran spears and munsil through it last night and it passed all tests but one, which is my display's fault, no the PS3's. Another good thing is that brightness on the test disc matches brightness from the generator, so no further adjustments are needed for the player.

I bought MGS4 off eBay for $12, should be here late next week.

Will do. I'm gonna take it one game at a time. I usually play then beat, then sell it and buy another. There are so many editors choice games to keep me going for a long time.

Anyone rent movies off the PSN? Just wondering about the PQ and AQ, vs say Vudu. Is it streamed, or downloaded to the HDD?

It is not Vudu, but it is pretty good.
Honestly, since I got access to vudu, I quit using PSN for movies. I did download a few 3D demos to try out yesterday though.

I usually play then beat, then sell it and buy another.
That's what my son does and then he wonders why we won't spend $30-50 on a game for him.... :) We borrow games from the library or rent them. We'll also buy used games from the used-cd/game store near the University of Dayton campus.

Does Redbox in your area rent games yet ?

Hall, I need to check, but renting is an issue. Im pretty busy, and will most likely only be playing every third week when Im off Thu and Fri, like today. I picked up Metal Gear Solid 4 for $13 off eBay, so I cant bitch :)

Watching IP Man now trying Nflix streaming, and Im getting XHigh/HD with a 6mbps DSL connection, not bad. I find it odd the PS3 outputs RGB for Nflix streaming. Gonna start MGS4 after the movie.

Oh, in that case then, rent the game (if available) on the day, or day before, you can start playing. Another option is Gamefly. You get the game just like Netflix and keep it as long as you want. Of course, you can't get the 'next' game until you return the first. With your schedule, it actually sounds good.

Thanks, I completely forgot about Gamefly. I started back about 2008, and just plan to slowly work my way thru the IGN Editor's choices Im interested in.

Thanks, I completely forgot about Gamefly. I started back about 2008, and just plan to slowly work my way thru the IGN Editor's choices Im interested in.

I tried Gamefly back in 2008. It was OK, but I couldn't get my hands on any games I really wanted...and the turnaround wasn't close to how quickly Netflix mailed-out DVDs. Has their service improved over the past few years?

Unless you binge on them and complete a couple per month, probably cheaper to buy them used, some of them new, or GOTY editions that have all the DLC bundled with them.

+1. If you're starting out with older releases that can be picked up for <$15 and your gaming schedule is sporadic and casual, probably best to simply buy. That way you don't ever feel like you have to plow through the game to get your money's worth on your rental period or subscription. As I mentioned in a previous post, keep an eye on the PSN Store for deals. A couple weeks ago I picked up Burnout Paradise bundled with a bunch of DLC for $8. A few weeks before that Assassins Creed II sold for $10, which included all DLC. These deals are usually only up for a week, so keep an eye on the PSN blog each Tuesday evening...or better yet, subscribe for blog updates via email.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)