OK, so where should I put it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freezy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Land of Sky Blue Water
I really don't want to cut down my woods. I can get rid of a couple but I would like to keep the dish outta sight too.
I have my .85M on my roof and I can get 30w. I have spotted 2 locations where trees wont be much of a problem. One is too far. The other is right out my bedroom window. I know I am not going to get the same arch I get on the roof. What would I get at each spot? Other suggestions? My zip code is 55056

dish spot.JPG

I'd like to bring up your location on Google, too vague with just the zip code. Can you give a street name or other info so I can find your neighborhood.

If you got an iphone of Android phone I would download the Dishpointer Pro app!

With it you can look using your phone at where the satellites are in the sky so you can find where on your property has the best look of the entire arc. You will be actually able to see where the sats are in the sky and if any trees are in the way in realtime!

my topography is flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! I am my neighborhood. The trees are 35 to 45 feet tall. I don't own an iPhone or Android. I know folks that do. I hope I can enlist their help.

Is the red circle a proposed location or the current location?. You dont mention anything about the proposed dish size. This is in the C-Band section so I would hazard a guess that the dish is not an easy roof mountable size.

The dish is at that red circle to the left now. It's an 8ft I pulled out of a neighbors yard that wanted to get rid of it. I just dug a small hole and planted it to keep it from getting trashed laying on it's side. There is a very good arc in that field but it is too far from the house.

My yard looked hopeless at first glance with trees and a hill with trees. But after careful study of the satellite arc I took a contractors transit level out back and stood directly North of the tallest closest trees in my neighbors yard. This put the highest sat in the arc directly over the highest obstacle and the transit showed I cleared the trees by a few degrees. As I look East or West of that South sat position, the arc starts to fall off, but so does the tree line. I am able to see 30w to 137w.
More recently I use a digital carpenters level ($30 Home Depot) with a old rifle sight glued on top. Works great. You can even get good results by sighting up the side of the level.

Jim

There is a very good arc in that field but it is too far from the house.

How far away is too far???

My BUD is about 300 feet from my house plus my ribbon cable which I did not shorten up is a little over 400 feet long. That length does not give me any problems at all. The DSR922 was in the living room and now it is in my basement in my "man cave". I am not cutting the cable until I have a permanent spot for all of my satellite goodies! ;)

I could start making one of those dirt pyramids in my yard and put the dish above the tree line. How big at the base would a 40ft tall pyramid need to be? Would that be like a giant lightning rod connected to my "good" TV

math question.JPG

A truncated pyramid with a 10 ft wide top & 40 ft in height with 20* slope would have to be 229.8 ft wide on each side at the base. {2:mad:40/tan20*) + 10 = 229.8}
Volume of pyramid with a square base = 1/3x (length of each side squared) x height.
Vol=1/3 x L x L x h
Vol = major pyramid vol minus minor pyramid vol = 736,144 cu ft - 61 cu ft = 736,083 cu ft = 27,262 cu yd..

Last edited:
"thats a lot of dirt"

You're retired with a lot of friends who also have a lot of time on their hands?;):D

A pole up the side of a building is out of the question? BTW, I think you want to favor the east horizon. The west kinda stops at 139w, I stop at 137w.

That would be my death sentence if it were visible from the house. I helped put an 8 footer on a guys roof back in the 80's. I kinda wanna stick to a walk-up maintenance height.

The pyramid idea was just for fun. I got the idea from an old AWACS radar base I did some work at. The Air Force "made" a hill...a big hill.

That would be my death sentence if it were visible from the house. I helped put an 8 footer on a guys roof back in the 80's. I kinda wanna stick to a walk-up maintenance height.

The pyramid idea was just for fun. I got the idea from an old AWACS radar base I did some work at. The Air Force "made" a hill...a big hill.
Guess you're back to one long run of PVC conduit & a distant pole at ground level again.
No expressways being torn up or concrete being hauled away that needs a home for landfill eh? Concrete would make good filler for your pyramid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)