OK, so WHO is lying?

People are just too cheap to pay to put up a good antenna. They would much rather call dish and threaten to cancel and hope that dish would put up the antenna for free to keep them As a customer.

That is true but a good salesman can talk them into it by explaining the benefits. They just need to look past that upfront cost. A typical antenna job for us cost $300-$400, that includes the antenna and labor. People think it's a lot but they don't pay any attention to how much they pay a year for their programming now. To me, the ideal set up is satellite TV with OTA.

Looks like E beat you to the punch they have a smaller package called the Smart Pack at $30. http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/english-packages/?WT.svl=left-nav

Like I said, the Smart Pack is not a very good option and not many people want it. It does not offer many popular channels. I'm thinking of a package more like the top 120 but with a lot of the crap taken out. A package that included locals, just the main ESPN (maybe ESPN2), HGTV, Food, Discovery, History, E!, MTV, TBS, TNT, USA, CNN, AMC, Cartoon Net, CMT, CNBC, Comedy Central, one Disney channel, Fox News, FX, Lifetime, one Nickelodeon, Spike, SyFy, TLC, TVLand, VH1, WE, Weather Channel and Sirius music. I know it seems like a lot to ask for but this would be around 60 channels and would cover a very large percentage of customer's needs. It's basically the Dish America package but I would make it so it doesn't require an HD subscription. If they could make this package for no more than $35 I think you'd see some happy people.

Like I said, the Smart Pack is not a very good option and not many people want it. It does not offer many popular channels. I'm thinking of a package more like the top 120 but with a lot of the crap taken out. A package that included locals, just the main ESPN (maybe ESPN2), HGTV, Food, Discovery, History, E!, MTV, TBS, TNT, USA, CNN, AMC, Cartoon Net, CMT, CNBC, Comedy Central, one Disney channel, Fox News, FX, Lifetime, one Nickelodeon, Spike, SyFy, TLC, TVLand, VH1, WE, Weather Channel and Sirius music. I know it seems like a lot to ask for but this would be around 60 channels and would cover a very large percentage of customer's needs. It's basically the Dish America package but I would make it so it doesn't require an HD subscription. If they could make this package for no more than $35 I think you'd see some happy people.
All that I wish is that E* would have HD in all packs including the Smart Pack & the Welcome Pack.

I tend to think it has more to do with Dish not wanting people to stay at that package.

Cash is king that's the phrase from the content providers, and guess who is the richest CEO's, FCC should regulate this nonsense.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Whatever your job lets regulate how much you make too. Lets regulate everything.....

Scherrman said:
That is true but a good salesman can talk them into it by explaining the benefits. They just need to look past that upfront cost. A typical antenna job for us cost $300-$400, that includes the antenna and labor. People think it's a lot but they don't pay any attention to how much they pay a year for their programming now. To me, the ideal set up is satellite TV with OTA.

It's the same mentality that forced us into having to pay a DVR fee.

Dish had it right. Charge customers a $50 one time upgrade and pay no DVR Fees. Instead we have free DVR's and a DVR fee forever.

Whatever your job lets regulate how much you make too. Lets regulate everything.....

When 1 person has enough money to change the economy & literally do a gov't bailout if needed. I'd say it's time to take a 2nd look at regulating.

We need checks and balances on CEO earnings. The BoDs aren't doing the job.

The 1996 Telecommunications Act deregulating media ownership is what caused this mess in the first place. I'm not one for gov't regulation but in the case of making it more difficult to allow monopolistic or oligopolic control of the landscape, something has to be done.

Yes, that I agree with. That's very different than regulating how much someone makes.

I worked for the first company that demanded payment from DISH (and directv, cable systems) to carry signals. It was simple. Dish (et al) made money by carrying the channel. So give the company some because this is copyright material, even network stuff, in that area. By rights, Bars can't watch the OTA signnals if they charge to get into the event. Once the DISH (et al) companies started to pay, then more and more broadcasters jumped in for payment. The first was Nexstar Broadcasting. I am now retired, but know from working with DISH, DIRECTV and the cable companies, what went on and how much income came in each month.