OK, so WHO is lying?

I can't point to any cold hard facts, but I think it is very dependent on where you are talking about. And I might have tended to agree more until the switch to digital. There are huge chunks of Ct. that can not get all the networks anymore that could before. I had to go to extraordinary lengths to get them, and use my knowledge of antennas to do it. Even in the Tampa area, they moved the tower for the CBS station (WTSP) I again had to buy a better antenna to get it. It still can lose the signal when a plane flies by.

In addition, look at how many live in a condo or apartment as opposed to many years ago where there were more living in single family homes. It's not easy putting up an antenna as it used to be. So I think the networks are more dependent on Sat/Cable than ever.
You might be right. But I also know there are some viewers who were helped by the stations going to digital. I'm curious, these "huge chunks of CT", how well populated are they? In Kentucky, there are hills and valleys that affect reception. But again, the majority of viewers are within 50 miles of the transmitters.

Look, I'm not saying broadcasters should hold cable/satco's hostage over retrans agreements. The agreements benefit both sides, IMO nearly equally. If the agreements didn't help E* or D*, why have them?

I'm getting to the point where I wish Dish would just drop all the broadcast channels, screw them. It is a easy for me to say that of course since I have an antenna but it's just getting old. It would actually mean more business for us to because we would be selling and installing a lot more antennas.

I'm getting to the point where I wish Dish would just drop all the broadcast channels, screw them. It is a easy for me to say that of course since I have an antenna but it's just getting old. It would actually mean more business for us to because we would be selling and installing a lot more antennas.

The problem with that scenario, Scherrman, is that many Dish subs have a very hard time getting OTA signals at all. It may work in your area but in mine, it is cumbersome, if not impossible to get an OTA signal....

Let the consumer vote on OTA. Simply go back to the old pricing of packages and allow with or without locals with a $5 savings. Dish satisfies the Government by having the locals available. It satisfies the consumers by letting them choose coverage and it should save Dish in negotiating the cost of locals by showing the networks how many subs are willing to pay for them.I would drop them quickly. I have my locals in HD OTA. They are only in truncated SD on Dish.

The problem with that scenario, Scherrman, is that many Dish subs have a very hard time getting OTA signals at all. It may work in your area but in mine, it is cumbersome, if not impossible to get an OTA signal....

Oh, I know it's not very feasable and understand that some just can't receive channels over OTA. Just ranting a bit.

Let the consumer vote on OTA. Simply go back to the old pricing of packages and allow with or without locals with a $5 savings. Dish satisfies the Government by having the locals available. It satisfies the consumers by letting them choose coverage and it should save Dish in negotiating the cost of locals by showing the networks how many subs are willing to pay for them.I would drop them quickly. I have my locals in HD OTA. They are only in truncated SD on Dish.

The stations want money from every sub in their area. That is why locals are now required for all new subs.

They are also required to carry them. Or at least offer them. It is a law.

I think the problem lies with Dish, as usual.

How many people are tired of Dish taking away your channels ?

Are you being deliberately contrary?
Use your head. When a contract expires the provider has no legal right to continue airing the service/channel..
That is unless there is an agreed cooling off period or both parties have agreed to continue the relationship during negotiations.
Dish is not "taking away" anything.

Every time Dish looses a channel they cry wolf and blame it on the broadcasters and say they are demanding too much money.

You all know how the story goes.

Dish network and Directv both raise their rates every year, either on their core packages or in the fees they pass to the consumers.

If Dish was truly looking out for their customers, people would gladly put up with their channels being taken away because they would be paying lower rates.

The fact of the matter is that Dish continually puts their customers in the middle of programming disputes, yet at the end you still see programming increases.

So are the programming disputes Dish chooses to get involved with are to benefit the customer, or just to line dish networks pockets while not passing the benefit to the customer?

I don't see any savings to the customer when Dish gets into a contract dispute and drops channels. So why should we put up with allowing Dish to take away our channels?

Show me 1 programming dispute that resulted in lower rates to the customer?
I will state this one more time and please tell me which part of this you don't understand.
In the absence of an agreement to carry the channels, save for an agreement to carry during negotiations, Dish or any other provider for that matter has NO LEGAL RIGHT to carry said channels. Period. Done . End of story..

what I said was something funny, and I don't care about my period key - WAYYY off topic. Anyway, I've heard of guys out of my office getting TC's today cause of the lack of Fox not working from pissed customers. I'm going to have to go get my dad a OTA module for his receiver and an antenna so he can watch the Daytona 500 unless Dish wishes to piss away every customer that watches NASCAR (there are a ton of them) and not fix this before this coming weekend.

Are you kidding? The people in the call centers are hitting the TC button because a channel is missing? That is friggin criminal!
I have read the words of some CSR's on here and other places about how crappy their job is...Well CSR's try walking a Mile...No.... how about a couple hundred yards in OUR shoes and witness the havoc you bring upon field personnel.

Are you kidding? The people in the call centers are hitting the TC button because a channel is missing? That is friggin criminal!
I have read the words of some CSR's on here and other places about how crappy their job is...Well CSR's try walking a Mile...No.... how about a couple hundred yards in OUR shoes and witness the havoc you bring upon field personnel.

Yes so far several of the techs including myself have gotten a TC cause of Fox being missing and the office isn't doing a thing about it - they just dance around the issue when I know damn well they can make a phone call and have it removed but nope.

I personally like this idea, with one caveat... Dish should still fill in the guide, even for those who don't sign up for locals. The content is in the receiver (carried as part of the digital broadcast). Extract from that. If a station only has 24 hours of PSIP, then fill in the rest of the guide with "Digital Service". Then it's on the station to more populate the guide.

We are pleased to announce that DISH and Grant Group have reached a multi-year agreement and your local stations have been restored. We hope you enjoy your favorite programming, including the Daytona 500. Thank you for your patience and support during this negotiation. We appreciate your loyalty and commitment to DISH.

Woot another dispute resolved. I just hope Dish and the networks resolve their Hopper issues before the next O&O station group comes up for renewal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts