OK, Time to rant....sorry!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hookem99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
I'll do my best to keep this short....

I was going to wait and post about this after all was fixed, but I am not sure that will happen anytime soon!

This Thursday, a D* tech will come to my house for the 10th time in 30 days. It all started when I was getting a 'searching for sat signal' for no apparent reason. Took 4 visits to fix it, and I am not exactly sure what did. In the process of fixing that, the tech some how screwed up my MRV(works when it wants too). So far no one has been able to fix this.

I have been told the last 4 visits were suppose to supers, which did not happen. Half the techs that come had no idea this was ongoing, and my Case Mgr has an attitude like she does not give a damn. This is of course my 2nd CM, since the first closed the case based on a phone conversation with my 10 YO daughter.

I really do not care to go find new service, over all I have been happy, but I am running out of options. I told them if it's not fixed this Thursday, I want my system back the way it was, before the SWM, and MRV crap.

My CM is not forthcoming on how to get any higher in the chain of command, and honestly, I am not really sure what I would do if I got there. Just tired of being misinformed, and inconvenienced. I feel that D* has failed me, and although I know my case is rare, I feel they are not doing enough to be sure policy in this situation was followed. I just want my system fixed so I can go on about my merry way watching TV.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, as I am trying to keep my anger from clouding MY judgement.

Too hard to tell what's going on as there really aren't any specifics here. Not a lot of technicians yet are versed on the MRV service. This is brand new, and it's till in it's beta stages - as far as I know, not even customer service is offering support for this service yet. I go to a lot of DirecTV roadshows and this was only revealed to me back in August, and I did some walk-throughs with the head department guys there but have yet to install this system myself, because we are not yet offering it through our retail office due to it still being in beta stages. My suggestion would be to continue to ask for a supervisor to come on out as they might have more knowledge on the MRV service (sounds like you're getting a lot of technicians that don't have much knowledge on MRV)....good luck. Wish I had more to offer than this.

Oh. One more thing: Frustrations in mind, if you do decide to opt out of the MRV service, do not request the SWM to be removed. The SWM is what is making your DVR's work with only a single line to them. Without the swim, you'll have to have additional cables run or drilled through your walls to get the full function of the DVR. This might cost you extra, depending on the installer and what might have to be done. Again, good luck. :)

Last edited:
neverenderday, I'm not sure what you mean about MRV being in Beta. I had it installed yesterday and have had no issues with it. And DTV is actively marketing it on their web site. You're making it sound like it's some kind of barely-ready technology. It's out there, it's being installed, and it's working.

So, to confirm, the searching for signal error is fixed?

What specific problems are you having with MRV. Does the problem you have effect all receivers or just one?

Confirm there is not an Ethernet cable plugged into either of your HR24s?

neverenderday, I'm not sure what you mean about MRV being in Beta. I had it installed yesterday and have had no issues with it. And DTV is actively marketing it on their web site. You're making it sound like it's some kind of barely-ready technology. It's out there, it's being installed, and it's working.

Have to agree with Widescreen. MRV is not Beta. It was Beta early last summer when it was tested in CE. It's over a year old now. It is still a little bit of an unknown with installers. Some understand it, many do not. I had to train my installer with info I got here. I was only the second MRV/DECA installation he had ever done.

Widescreen, it was in beta for awhile even though it was being marketed. This might have changed. I'm going on a "last I heard basis." This was at the beginning of last month. They are offering it and it is being installed but the market isn't fully active last I heard (as far as how many tech's they have installing this stuff. And it is still new, either way.) Like I said, the retailer I work for is not currently offering it yet, is what I'm being told. I'm not saying it's "barely ready" as I've seen this installed and working myself. All I was saying is that not a lot of tech's have complete knowledge on it yet (I went to a convention two week's ago where not a lot of tech's, or retailer owners, were versed on the equipment yet.) I'm just going off of what I last heard. Take it with a grain of salt, I guess.

I'm not saying I'm right here. As I said, going off a "last I heard basis." I was just simply throwing out there that the tech's are not well versed on the system yet. It's slowly moving forward, though. And all I was saying is the guy might be having problems because he's probably not getting a lot of tech's that are familiar with the equipment. That's all. The rest of it can be ignored, since I'm obviously not in the loop of the MRV stuff. Only that I've ran into a lot of tech's that have shrugged their shoulders at me mentioning it.

I'm not saying that it is. The last I heard it was and this was a few months ago. I havent really been updated since then. So the facts are out there - you guys can let it go now. Really.

Going back to the original post. What receivers do you have in the system? Do all your standard receivers have Band Stop Filters on them? Are all the taps on the SWM splitter terminated? Is all your wire RG-6? Do you have more than 8 tuners?

Some findings from installing MRV for more than a month now. The older HDDVR and HD receivers are very buggy. Especially HR20's. Poor connections in wall plates will drive the system batty. Long cable runs will be more affected. If the installer forgot BSF the system will act real funky.

This may or may not solve your problem, but I was one of the first SWiM installs a few years ago. What we found after having many issues was the SWiM power adapater had to be plugged directly into the wall. If you try to plug it into power strips or power conditioners it can cause an issue. There was not enough power being sent through the system to power everything up, also if you're using any right angle adapters or other items that are not DirecTV approved they can also cause an issue with power.

Going back to the original post. What receivers do you have in the system? Do all your standard receivers have Band Stop Filters on them? Are all the taps on the SWM splitter terminated? Is all your wire RG-6? Do you have more than 8 tuners?

Some findings from installing MRV for more than a month now. The older HDDVR and HD receivers are very buggy. Especially HR20's. Poor connections in wall plates will drive the system batty. Long cable runs will be more affected. If the installer forgot BSF the system will act real funky.

They replaced an HR20 and HR21 with two new HR24s, the other two are HR23 and an H23. All cable is RG6, new in the last 2 years. All wall plates have been checked and a couple barrel connectors replaced. Seems we have the majority of problems on the HR24s.

They replaced the HR21, to try and remedy the original issue, and the second replaced the HR20 to try and remedy the MRV issue. Actually, the HR24 in my LR is the second one they swapped out.

This may or may not solve your problem, but I was one of the first SWiM installs a few years ago. What we found after having many issues was the SWiM power adapater had to be plugged directly into the wall. If you try to plug it into power strips or power conditioners it can cause an issue. There was not enough power being sent through the system to power everything up, also if you're using any right angle adapters or other items that are not DirecTV approved they can also cause an issue with power.

Just to confirm, the power adapter is the matchbox size adapter correct? I have a small black box with 3 green lights, which I believe is the BB Deca?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts