Status
Please reply by conversation.

mchatel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hey all.

Found an old GI 450i analog receiver at a 2nd hand-store here in my area. I just picked it up, mostly to play with it at some point.

My question is...
Eventually, I'm going to setup either a dedicated dish parked on a bird, which sometimes has an analog feed once in awhile, or... I may setup a 39" dish with motor.

Can I have a stationary dish at all with this receiver? In my playing with it so far, it seems to error out because it wants to control a motor. Maybe it's the setup, but does anyone know if you can use it with a stationary dish?

I'm talking KU for now, only...

Well, let's see . . .
- the receiver probably errors out, because it wants to get pulses from a reed switch when it moves the motor
I'll assume you can turn off the motor feature, or just stop changing satellites, and you won't have the problem.

- the motors we usually have for 1.2 meter (4 foot) and smaller dishes are controlled with diseqc commands.
The analog receiver was built before the standard, and will not control one.
However, if you were to put your 1m dish on a proper (BUD) mount & motor, the receiver should control it just fine.
We've had members do something like that.

- the old receiver has no or limited ability to choose which dish it listens to.
It won't control modern diseqc switches.
It might have two inputs, one for C-band, and one for Ku.

- is there still analog on Ku?
Sorry, I don't have analog hooked up. :)

I think what you would need to do with the analog receiver is just setup whatever satellite it defaults to when it comes on. (set the feedhorn type, etc) and just leave it alone. If the menu is like my 550/650 GI's, and you have the remote, you CAN delete satellites from the list it has.
Seems like its "MENU+6+5+1". Do you have the remote?
Once set up and connected to the dish, you can have analog ku or c band stuff with it.

very rarely are there analog KU feeds

once in a while a sporting event but the last 6months or so I can count on one hand ;)

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.
That is what I suspected...if I had C-Band dish up, this would be more useful.

I'll have to see if I bother with it then, for just Ku use.
I just wanted to "rescue" it. lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)