This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

OLD Primestar dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
easy solution:

My recommendation: DON'T REPLACE IT! if it works.
You should get a 2x4/3x4 multiswitch instead to recombine the Horizontal and Vertical coax outputs together for ease of use with FTA receivers.
Emphasis added. - :up

"No diseqc, Multiswitch!" -
(if you recall the really old cheeseburger & Pepsi skit from Saturday Night Live)

Emphasis added. - :up

"No diseqc, Multiswitch!" -
(if you recall the really old cheeseburger & Pepsi skit from Saturday Night Live)
And although I have posted how to get by without the multiswitch, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Off with you two. Go order some multiswitches from the sponsors.

lacking any other test data:

I took this thread by Pendragon on his mods to a 4x8 miltiswitch, as somewhat of a recommendation or review.
Obviously, you don't need to do any of his mods - the switch is fine as-is for its intended purpose.

I'm sure there are many switches from our vendors which would work just fine.
In fact, several members prefer the non-powered multiswitches.
You can read the thread for my comments, but it just goes to show, there are lots of ways to skin the cat. - :up

That LNB will outperform anything else you could hang on that dish!
All the OEM Primestar LNB's are great performers
The "dovebar" LNB is kinda rare too, I have one. :up
Here's a pic from when I first hauled it home.

Attachments

• dovebarlnb.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 127
Okay, so which would yield a better signal....The LNB with separate H & V outputs fed into a multiswitch or replace the LNB with one that has one output that has the H & V combined?

:EDIT:
Nevermind - sounds like the consensus is to use the original one.

By the way, the dish is a Channel Master model# 3040975

Got 123W on H with the P* dish and LNB. Now I'm about to get one of those Eagle Aspen multiswitch so I can pick up the V.

Next task: add another LNB!

Got 123W on H with the P* dish and LNB. Now I'm about to get one of those Eagle Aspen multiswitch so I can pick up the V.

Next task: add another LNB!

Willie, if you figure out how to do it, you can just turn the lnb 1/4 turn and have the V channels now , with that lnbf. Of course, without the multiswitch its only gonna get one or the other, V or H lol.

Willie, if you figure out how to do it, you can just turn the lnb 1/4 turn and have the V channels now , with that lnbf. Of course, without the multiswitch its only gonna get one or the other, V or H lol.

Do you mean if I turn it 1/4 turn and leave it on the H output? If I want V without the switch I just need to move the coax from the H to V output. Wouldn't that be easier than trying to rotate the LNB? I guess it doesn't matter anyway b/c I ordered an Eagle Aspen 3x4 Mini Max multi switch

You could do that too. I just remember having one of the round primestar lnbfs and no 3x4 switch, I couldnt get anything unless the V-side was powered. So I just left it loose enough to twist the lnb in the mount, I could twist it around and get the H side without moving the cable.
It that one is the dove-bar shaped one, it might work off either port, but those round ones would only work if the Vside had power.

The Dove-bar will work if either side is powered. I recently tested one on my 1 meter Channel Master (same dish the OP has) before sending it to another member. I replaced my Dove-bar with a Dish FSS stacked (Eagle Aspen P870 OEM), since I want to use stacked LNBs where possible.

Before my recent system re-wiring, I tested each of the 4 Primestar LNBs that I have (3 cylinder shaped and 1 Dovebar), and they all work with either the H or V side powered.

euro has tested, so I will agree! I know I tried one or two I had, first using H port, and getting nothing. Then I read somewhere on net (prob someplace ELSE) that those old round NJ2112 or whatever number they are, would not work if the V-side wasn't powered. I say, if it works-use it.
Those old lnbfs may be old but out of about 6 I have had, only one wouldnt work at all, the others do a dang good job on fta.

What does it mean when I'm getting 95 % signal and 0% quality??? Bad LNB or bad allignment?

Here are the two most likely possibilities:
- you are not aligned to the bird you want
- you do not have your receiver set to an active transponder on the bird you want

edit: oops, took me too long to type that! Ice beat me to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.