OLD Primestar dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ahhh (light goes on)! That is why I see AUTO sometimes! I used to have a UNIVERSAL LNB on my system (see my signature). Gives me one more setup thing to make sure I got right... all set to STANDARD! Thanks for helping me out with this Tron!

Standard, L.O. 10750. Let us know if you have it working :)

I finally had some time last night to work on this, and am still having trouble. I even tried hooking up my old switch the way it was prior to having the primestar (a 2x1), and the signal is next to nothing (and without the switch I have a good signal). I am starting to think my switches are fried (despite the fact I thought I had been careful to power off receivers as I was hooking up switches). Last night the back of my arm brushed against one of the switches and it was very hot to the touch. Perhaps having some of the 22khz settings wrong when powering up the receiver does bad things? Also, is there some sort of limit on the length of cable I should have between the switch and LNB (since without the switch I have no trouble)?

The strange thing is I had the 4x1 setup on my fortec star classic receiver with port 2 hooked to the multiswitch on the primestar fixed on RTV, and port 3 hooked to the circular of my motorized, and they worked fine. I had port 1 hooked to the linear LNB on my motorized and was not getting anything, so I assumed the motorized needed some adjustment. However when I bypassed the switch for the linear, I found out I was getting a respectable 60% signal and locked in. So it seems to me the switches are bad. I triple checked that I had the port set in the receiver to the same port I had the linear LNB hooked to on the switch.

I also wanted to present the whole picture here, and make sure I am setting this up right. One dish is motorized, the other (primestar) is stationary. My goal was to have 2 receivers able to feed off both dishes (with only 1 receiver driving the motor of course).

So here is what I was planning to have:

receiver1 -> motor -> diseqc4x1
port 1-> lnb1 on motorized dish
port 2-> lnb2 (circular strapped on lnb1)
port 3-> multiswitch -> primestar lnb
port 4-> unused

receiver2 -> diseqc2x1
port 1-> multiswitch -> primestar lnb
port 2-> lnb1 on motorized dish

To get from my motorized to the primestar (or vice-versa) is at least 8 feet of coax, so after the switch I do have about 8 feet to get to that particular LNB (and the others are about a 2 foot length).

Since I am ordering new switches anyhow, I think I will just get two 4x1 switches so my receiver2 will have the option of feeding off the circular as well (and the possibility of adding another dish in the future for both receivers to feed off, I kind of like having the primestar fixed on RTV, and wouldn't mind having another primestar fixed on another bird). That is assuming I get switches to work again!

I finally had some time last night to work on this, and am still having trouble. I even tried hooking up my old switch the way it was prior to having the primestar (a 2x1), and the signal is next to nothing (and without the switch I have a good signal). I am starting to think my switches are fried (despite the fact I thought I had been careful to power off receivers as I was hooking up switches). Last night the back of my arm brushed against one of the switches and it was very hot to the touch. Perhaps having some of the 22khz settings wrong when powering up the receiver does bad things? Also, is there some sort of limit on the length of cable I should have between the switch and LNB (since without the switch I have no trouble)?

There probably is a limit but we'd be talking like 100 feet. It sounds like a bad diseqc switch

So here is what I was planning to have:

receiver1 -> motor -> diseqc4x1
port 1-> lnb1 on motorized dish
port 2-> lnb2 (circular strapped on lnb1)
port 3-> multiswitch -> primestar lnb
port 4-> unused

receiver2 -> diseqc2x1
port 1-> multiswitch -> primestar lnb
port 2-> lnb1 on motorized dish
that looks perfect

What you could do also is combine either the 2 ports from the primestar or the 2 ports from the DBS and the 2 outputs from the KU LNB on the motorized into a 4x4 switch. In the above case I would do the Primestar and the KU from the motorized. Then the 2nd setup doesnt need any diseqc switches.

receiver 1-------motor----diseqc switch
port 1 0k side----KU motorized
port 1 22k side---primestar
port 2---DBS side

receiver 2 would have a straight shot to the multiswitch for both KU & Primestar

then you would have 2 extra ports on the diseqc switch and 2 extra ports for the multiswitch if you add other receivers :)

Here is a pic of my motorized with the 4x4 switch. Have both the KU & DBS LNB's on the 4x4. One line runs to the motor and the other 3 run into the house. 2 go to other diseqc switches for other receivers in the house and the 4th is extra.

Attachments

• 000_0686.jpg
    000_0686.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 141
There probably is a limit but we'd be talking like 100 feet. It sounds like a bad diseqc switch

that looks perfect

Appreciate the input. From now on I shut off ALL receivers before hooking or unhooking into any switches! I will order some more and hope for better luck this time.

What you could do also is combine either the 2 ports from the primestar or the 2 ports from the DBS and the 2 outputs from the KU LNB on the motorized into a 4x4 switch. In the above case I would do the Primestar and the KU from the motorized. Then the 2nd setup doesnt need any diseqc switches.

receiver 1-------motor----diseqc switch
port 1 0k side----KU motorized
port 1 22k side---primestar
port 2---DBS side

receiver 2 would have a straight shot to the multiswitch for both KU & Primestar

then you would have 2 extra ports on the diseqc switch and 2 extra ports for the multiswitch if you add other receivers :)

I like your way of thinking... always looking forward to the next addition! My multiswitch is still working though, so to get a 4x4 would jack my price up a bit. I think I will go for a couple 4x1 diseqc switches.

Here is a pic of my motorized with the 4x4 switch. Have both the KU & DBS LNB's on the 4x4. One line runs to the motor and the other 3 run into the house. 2 go to other diseqc switches for other receivers in the house and the 4th is extra.
Nice work!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)