OLD Primestar dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
easy solution:

My recommendation: DON'T REPLACE IT! if it works.
You should get a 2x4/3x4 multiswitch instead to recombine the Horizontal and Vertical coax outputs together for ease of use with FTA receivers.
Emphasis added. - :up

"No diseqc, Multiswitch!" - :D
(if you recall the really old cheeseburger & Pepsi skit from Saturday Night Live)

Emphasis added. - :up

"No diseqc, Multiswitch!" - :D
(if you recall the really old cheeseburger & Pepsi skit from Saturday Night Live)
And although I have posted how to get by without the multiswitch, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Off with you two. Go order some multiswitches from the sponsors.

lacking any other test data:

I took this thread by Pendragon on his mods to a 4x8 miltiswitch, as somewhat of a recommendation or review.
Obviously, you don't need to do any of his mods - the switch is fine as-is for its intended purpose.

I'm sure there are many switches from our vendors which would work just fine.
In fact, several members prefer the non-powered multiswitches.
You can read the thread for my comments, but it just goes to show, there are lots of ways to skin the cat. - :up

My recommendation: DON'T REPLACE IT! if it works.
You should get a 2x4/3x4 multiswitch instead to recombine the Horizontal and Vertical coax outputs together for ease of use with FTA receivers.

That LNB may give slightly lower quality, but you won't have much fuss from it, unlike other cheaper LNBF's
That LNB will outperform anything else you could hang on that dish!
All the OEM Primestar LNB's are great performers
The "dovebar" LNB is kinda rare too, I have one. :D:up
Here's a pic from when I first hauled it home.

Attachments

• dovebarlnb.jpg
    dovebarlnb.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 126
Okay, so which would yield a better signal....The LNB with separate H & V outputs fed into a multiswitch or replace the LNB with one that has one output that has the H & V combined?

:EDIT:
Nevermind - sounds like the consensus is to use the original one.

By the way, the dish is a Channel Master model# 3040975

Got 123W on H with the P* dish and LNB. Now I'm about to get one of those Eagle Aspen multiswitch so I can pick up the V.

Next task: add another LNB!

Got 123W on H with the P* dish and LNB. Now I'm about to get one of those Eagle Aspen multiswitch so I can pick up the V.

Next task: add another LNB!

Willie, if you figure out how to do it, you can just turn the lnb 1/4 turn and have the V channels now , with that lnbf. Of course, without the multiswitch its only gonna get one or the other, V or H lol.

Willie, if you figure out how to do it, you can just turn the lnb 1/4 turn and have the V channels now , with that lnbf. Of course, without the multiswitch its only gonna get one or the other, V or H lol.

Do you mean if I turn it 1/4 turn and leave it on the H output? If I want V without the switch I just need to move the coax from the H to V output. Wouldn't that be easier than trying to rotate the LNB? I guess it doesn't matter anyway b/c I ordered an Eagle Aspen 3x4 Mini Max multi switch :)

You could do that too. I just remember having one of the round primestar lnbfs and no 3x4 switch, I couldnt get anything unless the V-side was powered. So I just left it loose enough to twist the lnb in the mount, I could twist it around and get the H side without moving the cable.
It that one is the dove-bar shaped one, it might work off either port, but those round ones would only work if the Vside had power.

The Dove-bar will work if either side is powered. I recently tested one on my 1 meter Channel Master (same dish the OP has) before sending it to another member. I replaced my Dove-bar with a Dish FSS stacked (Eagle Aspen P870 OEM), since I want to use stacked LNBs where possible.

Before my recent system re-wiring, I tested each of the 4 Primestar LNBs that I have (3 cylinder shaped and 1 Dovebar), and they all work with either the H or V side powered.

euro has tested, so I will agree! I know I tried one or two I had, first using H port, and getting nothing. Then I read somewhere on net (prob someplace ELSE) that those old round NJ2112 or whatever number they are, would not work if the V-side wasn't powered. I say, if it works-use it.
Those old lnbfs may be old but out of about 6 I have had, only one wouldnt work at all, the others do a dang good job on fta.

What does it mean when I'm getting 95 % signal and 0% quality??? Bad LNB or bad allignment?

Here are the two most likely possibilities:
- you are not aligned to the bird you want
- you do not have your receiver set to an active transponder on the bird you want

edit: oops, took me too long to type that! Ice beat me to it. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)