Old receiver with a new dish?

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Guys,

I just upgraded from an old Dish 500 system to an HD system. I have 3 HD receivers and am really enjoying it. I have an old 508 DVR receiver laying around. I was thinking about selling it, but I've heard conflicting information. Is is possible to hook up an old receiver to a new dish? I have a dish that was installed in December and points to the 3 "western arc" satellites. I'm assuming the old receiver is not compatible with this setup, but the installer said it was.

I just wanted to double check before I sell the 508. If it *CAN* work (albeit std def) I may yet have a use for it.

Thanks in advance!

So I *can* hook it up to the existing LNB? I have 3 receivers. Does anyone know what kind of split/switch I'd need to add a 4th receiver?

I wonder why I was told by Dish CSRs that the older receivers are not compatible with the new Dishes and couldn't even be added to my account. That is weird.

Interesting. I asked several times--which is why I was surprised that the installer had said it would work. I wonder if they have some sort of policy in place not to activate those older receivers. I guess they are going to try to move everyone to MPEG4 eventually, right?

Actually, I wonder if someone who works for Dish can answer this question: Are there any policies pertaining to activating older receivers (like my 508) on newly upgraded accounts?

Just getting in now. If you own the receiver there's no reason we wouldn't be able to activate it on your account. We wouldn't be able to activate it if it is a leased receiver, or is on another account that has a balance.

Thanks. No, I own it--and there is no balance. It was on my account before I upgraded to HD everything. But I'd asked and was told (by Dish) that I couldn't activate any of my old receivers on my account now that I'd upgraded. Of course, I cannot connect it at the moment because I don't have the proper switch. I was just checking for the future in case I decided to put a small TV in the kitchen.

I'm sure I speak for many here..
When you Dish People first showed up here, SOME (I won't mention names) of us didn't exactly roll out the Welcome Mat. But you guys are really starting to show your value here. Thanks.

Glad to hear that we're becoming of some use. On a side note, I looked at David's account, and was able to activate the 508 just fine (is deactivated until he wants it back up and running). So I have no idea why the CSR said it couldn't be done. My guess is they saw the 1000.4 tag on the account and assumed it was EA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)