Old VideoCipher modules??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I'm sorting through and testing a bunch of receiver boxes that have the old VideoCipher module still installed. Since these are obsolete (as I understand) is there any reason, advantage or dis-advantage to leaving them installed.?? Or are they of any value to others?? I even have an old Zenith 'stand-alone' VideoCipher box. Does anyone need it??

Steve

I'm sorting through and testing a bunch of receiver boxes that have the old VideoCipher module still installed. Since these are obsolete (as I understand) is there any reason, advantage or dis-advantage to leaving them installed.?? ...

There might be a possibility that the remaining VCII channels might go fixed key. One of those channels, like Showtime or USA (I forget) was free for the best part of a year before it went off the air. Others stayed scrambled until the end. I forget which ones are still live.... I think it was the ESPN channels last time I checked.

I still have about 3 or 4 of the modules myself, including a Channel Master cage stand alone. I traded in one of the modules when they switched from VCII to VCRS / VCII+.

Thanks for the info. I'll leave them installed in the receivers I find usable.
Since I have a couple "dead" receivers, I will pull those modules. I'm assuming that they are interchangeable. Is this correct??

Also, I read someplace that the VideoCypher modules also have a lithium back up battery that might need changing. Any thoughts on this??

Steve

Weather channel, ESPN and ESPN2 are the only vc2 signals still up there, that I've found.
I don't think I would worry about changing out a battery in a vc2 module at this point, as they won't even authorize them any more for consumers. ESPN quit selling to us sev years ago.

I think the only one still there is The Weather Channel.

I just checked, and the ESPN channels, 9 & 14 on G14 are still there, however still scrambled. I had forgotten about TWC, since I can't get that far west in the summer. I just cut down about a dozen trees to clear out my view south, so now I have to work on the trees to the west.

Thanks for the info. I'll leave them installed in the receivers I find usable.
Since I have a couple "dead" receivers, I will pull those modules. I'm assuming that they are interchangeable. Is this correct??

Also, I read someplace that the VideoCypher modules also have a lithium back up battery that might need changing. Any thoughts on this??

Steve

I have a Uniden receiver that was ruined by the out gassing of the VideoCypher battery. Best to pull this from your receivers. Also other component failures on the VideoCypher board can hurt your power supply.

Do you have an old IR remote labeled UST-4400r?

I have a small collection of remotes but nothing like that. I'm surprise that I how have Four 4DTV remotes, which include two SideCar and Two standard. The SideCar remotes have more and better functions since they can be programed other equipment (TV,VCR,SAT). Since the SideCar receiver works in conjunction with an analog receiver, I thought that AUX might be useful but after giving it some thought, a second remote in my lap is less confusing.

While speaking of Remotes, I also have a very nice Star Light Universal SL-7000, IR, Sat remote that has it's own small display and it very easy to program and user freindly. No, I don't want to get rid of it!!

Steve

I have both several blue and one pink. I seem to remember that the pink is the later version.

Is this correct or of relative unimportance??

Steve

Back in 1988, my first VC module was black and few years later they sent me a blue one and wanted the old one back in exchange. I think the last ones built were pink.

Back in 1988, my first VC module was black and few years later they sent me a blue one and wanted the old one back in exchange. I think the last ones built were pink.
Yes, "they" wanted to get the black cage units out of circulation........:rolleyes:

Yes, "they" wanted to get the black cage units out of circulation........:rolleyes:

Black were the 010 and 018 boards. Grey was the 032 half boards. All were hacked. Then they came out with the VC-2+ they originally were blue, then pink. Then the VC-RS came out it was blue. None of the 2 plus/RS units were hacked or the hack was never released to the public.

Yup, I've got several of each, except the gray 032, and I think there were 2 versions of it, a full and a 3/4 form factor.
What I did come across is a RED caged unit. No VCRS slot, but does have an RJ11 for an aparently on board modem. 010s and 018s obviously have neither, and the pink and blue caged units have both. I dont remember the board layout, the seals were broken when I got it, but I saw no apparent "work" done in the EEPROM area. I'll have to dig it out and snap some pics if you'd like to see it.
Red. If I had to venture a guess, maybe a commercial 032 full size? I dunno, it came in a Monterrey 55 I got with a 10' Unimesh. The lady said they used it before Alicia ('83), but it quit after that. The Chaparral wouldnt boot, I'm not sure I've even still got it. I've not checked the LNB for function, may have taken a lightening strike.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)