older dish mover

stinkygopher1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 28, 2020
Saint John NB CA
I have a question I know has been asked many time before.Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer it for me.Question: Can I use the old dish mover to turn the dish and if so what can I use to power it?It works good and goes in and out all the way and stops when it gets to the end.Hate to turf it if it is still usable.It's on a 10 ft dish.These are two different movers.First one come on the dish.

Attachments

Last edited:

Magic Static

FTA Geek
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Depends on the position sensor type. Reed Sensor= good to go / Optical or Hall effect= can be adapted/ Potentiometer = major engineering project :(

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
I think the one in the 3rd pic looks like a JGS with reed sensor. The other one looks like it has a potentiometer (with the grey and green wires)

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
If it runs, you can find a way to move it... I know guys who have used model train power supplies to move dishes. I use an old 80s mover without the sensor wired in. I just move it by pushing the button east or west. You need a 36 V power supply to move to as quick as possible.

Magic Static

FTA Geek
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Is it possible to find parts for a JGS dish mover? The little plastic gears are stripped.
Very doubtful. There are two American manufacturers I know of, Venture and Von Weise, that service parts for their current models. But even they have old units no longer serviced.

• Sad
Reactions: stinkygopher1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)