OLED, wow

i thought manufactures have taken care of that!!!
On this set, and I am sure other manufacturers offer something similar, there is your standard pixel orbiter and a pixel "wash" function to combat burn in.

It also has a function to where if you pause the screen, after a few minutes it dims it by over half. Then after another set amount of time, maybe another 3 minutes, if you havent resumed watching, it puts the screen into a sleep mode. A simple button push (any button) puts you right back at the pause screen.

It would be pretty hard to generate burn in with your typical use IMO. At least with this particular set.

My LG OLED has a fireworks screensaver that appears after a few minutes of a static image (paused video) or no activity if I’m using the remote to navigate the menus and Apps. I do like the fine art that appears for an input with no signal.

My OLED survived two years of my son’s ESPN viewing habits, and no visible impact to the screen from the sports ticker.

Yes. Problem has been alleviated. But, for example, those RGB emitters used to make white, still have blue decay. Filters adjust only so much. I stand by my assertion that my quality LCD set will maintain it’s PQ longer than an OLED.

Yes. Problem has been alleviated. But, for example, those RGB emitters used to make white, still have blue decay. Filters adjust only so much. I stand by my assertion that my quality LCD set will maintain it’s PQ longer than an OLED.
What about if you have your Quality LCD along with a Quality OLED ?
Sony for example, who you know use the best Processors...

Personally, I'd go with the Quality OLED, provided the price is in my range, over the same Quality LCD, but every one has thier own opinion.

Reactions: KAB
Personally, I'd go with the Quality OLED, provided the price is in my range, over the same Quality LCD, but every one has thier own opinion.
I think you indirectly landed on the real issue which is budget. The question is how much money and nits are you willing to sacrifice to get more blacks.

I think you indirectly landed on the real issue which is budget. The question is how much money and nits are you willing to sacrifice to get more blacks.
I guess, if you can afford to go OLED, you generally will do it, if not you look into other ....
60% of the people buying a TV, don't know an OLED vs an LCD, they will buy what looks good to them without knowing or researching the TV brands.

The other 40% (and its probably not That High) do know what they are looking at and for.

I guess, if you can afford to go OLED, you generally will do it, if not you look into other ....
I think it is strictly personal thing. I had the choice and I chose to go with LED LCD. My viewing room is set up such that viewers may be knitting or doing simple tasks while watching TV so there's almost always some ambient light that the typical OLED couldn't reasonably overcome.

Reactions: John2021 and Jimbo
I upgraded my living room TV with a 65" Sony A8H OLED. Been loving it. Loved it so much, I found a black Friday deal just recently on Amazon for a 55" Sony A9G. It's a 2019 TV but ended up getting it for 1,299. I could have gotten a similar newer model OLED, but needed a center stand for the bedroom, and I've become fond of android/Google tv. I've used some of the after market vesa style stands, and they work ok, but decided at that price Id just get the older model OLED.

Setup was just like the 2020 A8H. Such a beautiful display. I don't watch much tv in there but my wife does. She said she couldn't see much difference from the old TV other than it was bigger,, which was a 46 inch Samsung LED that I've replaced almost every board in. All the content she was watching was some old Christmas movies on DirecTV. Once I changed it to 4k content she was blown away at the difference. I tested after a year of use on my A8H and so far no sign of burn in. I was going to run the pixel shift but haven't yet, as I haven't seen any issues. It says you can run it once a year if you have something static staying in the picture but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet. Unless something crazy happens, I'll be continually replacing with OLED or similar technology down the road.

Reactions: Ronnie- and Foxbat
Just bought a 83” Sony A90J to get my mind off certain life events, it really makes LED TVS look like crap, it is just beautiful for 4K content.
Totally agree. I have an A8H and an A9G. Love them both. I can't go back to LED at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

60% of the people buying a TV, don't know an OLED vs an LCD, they will buy what looks good to them without knowing or researching the TV brands.

The other 40% (and its probably not That High) do know what they are looking at and for.
Spending that much I'd rather have a 3-chip DLP 4K laser LED projector.

That's that short throws were invented for...

Cost of the better Projectors are out of My price range ....
I see top projectors any time I walk into the local High End A/V store, which is quite often seeing I know all the people there.
They never look as good as an Oled ..... Projectors have thier place, its just not for me ...
When I was younger, had I had the money probably would have worked.

Reactions: navychop
That's that short throws were invented for...

I have the Optoma 1090 laser short throw from them in my outside theater, the ultra short throw is limited to a 100-120” screen, I have 165”, I wanted a screen as big as possible.

The only problem I have is it is on the floor (bricks) of my back porch, my 2 Labs somethings knock into it and I have to realign it, putting it on the ceiling is not a option.

Cost of the better Projectors are out of My price range ....
I see top projectors any time I walk into the local High End A/V store, which is quite often seeing I know all the people there.
They never look as good as an Oled ..... Projectors have thier place, its just not for me ...
When I was younger, had I had the money probably would have worked.
I will never argue about the picture quality between the two, of course my sony OLED has a better picture, but watching the projector is more of a experience on a 165” screen, it really looks and feels like a theater, it does have a really good picture, very bright, can be on all day since it is a laser, takes a 4K/HDR signal ( I know it down-converts to 1080P), it only costs about $1500 with the screen, that was about $3500 less then what I paid for the 85” Sony A90J.

Reactions: Foxbat