On Demand purchase won't go through

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jhaifley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
Columbus, OH
I am having an issue where a HD movie I downloaded last week won't purchase. It says it can't connect to the internet. I ran though the tests and it fails (all the tests pass but the last, internet). The odd part is I can start a new on-demand download and it reaches the internet fine to download that (it is getting a movie as I write this) but it won't authorize the purchase of one. A phone line is not close, so the internet is the only way. Could it be that the server that handles rental authorizations is not working but the server that streams the movies themselves is?

Thanks!

could be your settings for the router. make sure your security settings are flexible enough to allow the receiver to communicate back with D. it looks like you can DL but you can't UL. are you using a powerline ethernet adapter or are you wireless?

It is hard-wired ethernet. The firewall should allow all traffic outbound. There are no rules denying that. It is a Cisco PIX 501 so it may be a bit more stringent then a home router solution. I will try connecting the receiver directly to the cable modem and after a reboot of both and making sure it picks up a good IP, try it again. If it works, we know that is the problem.

Thanks!

Tried it directly connected to the cable-modem. It picked up the new IP address but still no luck passing the network test. I didn't want to try purchasing a movie as I wasn't sure if I would be able to watch it in the 24 hrs. Since nobody else is having this issue, possible it is my ISP. Wouldn't that be fun, trying to explain to the level 1 tech at Time Warner that they are blocking traffic that I need to be allowed through :)

Your problem seems similar to another that many people, including me, are having. It may be a software issue. There are several threads on the Directv "On Demand" user forum on it. See the threads concerning the 22 error and those concerning bad internet connections.

I tried upgrading to the new CE but unfortunately, same problem. Also looked on Direct's site. Some user's errors were related to a DNS issue but I changed my DNS to one that I know resolves the name given in the thread that it tries to connect to and even that didn't work. Still searching, but thanks for the suggestions.

Direct must have found the issue. I no longer get the error 22 during the network test. I haven't tried purchasing a on-demand movie that has been downloaded yet but my guess is it will work too. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)