On the fence...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

milhouse

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
New Albany, IN
OK guys, help me out. I got moved into the new place over the weekend, so it's time to figure out what I'm going to do. Here's my set-up. Mits HD 65" downstairs and an old Sony 32" upstairs. We don't watch much network TV and just a little of 'basic' cable. Is VOOM for me? Cable is awfully pricey, DishNetwork is what we're used to, but I'd like to actually USE the HD part of my TV. Or I guess I could get and OTA STB and decide on Dish/cable/Voom later...
Any input? The $65-70 a month for the standard package, rental, two receivers, (plus $15 for Playboy ;) ) with the zero down deal is just a lot if we're not going to get much use out of it.

Give it a shot, there's no risk

I have almost the same setup, 36" CRT upstairs with basic cable from HOA. I hardly watch network TV except for a few select reality shows. Mostly I watch movies or Discovery channel type documentaries. I would guess that you will most likely be very satisfied with Voom. I have to admit that since I have gotten Voom I don't spend anytime at all watching the free cable upstairs or even watching SD programming on Voom in the HT. If I do want to watch network TV I just watch the OTA digital feed, HD or not, it's still equal to or better than cable. Since getting Voom, first HD experience including OTA, I find myself sufficiently entertained by what ever is in HD regardless of topic. It's almost like a trance or something.

bad Idea to "get" an STB and decide later.... Try voom first, no costs, whatever you get besides cable you will need an antenna. So this if nothing else will educate you on OTA and how good an sd and HD signal can look. you can always cancel with no penalities. I learned about OTA with D* but it cost me a 370 dollar HD box to do it. Dont make that mistake. lmao

Yeah the good thing about VOOM (at least right now) is being able to try it out without significant out of pocket expense or getting locked into a contract. Definitely check first to make sure they carry the few basic cable channels you enjoy. A few off the top of my head that they don't yet have include ESPN, HGTV, and SciFi.

The only channels I used to watch were Fox, TLC, and Discovery, so VOOM has worked out okay for me so far. My basic analog cable was $45/mo so VOOM would have been cheaper for me, but I decided to bite the bullet and go for VaVaVOOM as well as a second receiver for upstairs. That more than doubled my monthly bill, but I didn't really do it as much for the content as for the fact that I want to support VOOM. I've never bought a movie channel in my life until now. I have to admit though, we've watched and enjoyed several movies since getting it installed on Wednesday. I should keep track of how many we watch and how much it would have cost in rentals and/or purchases. Then I can try to justify the higher bill. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)