OnDemand downloads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

3puttbob

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Antelope Valley, Ca.
Hi Guys. I have HughesNet for Internet. So, I restrict video downloads to the early morning hours. Watched the Alaskan Daily pilot and may watch more. Question is, when I download in the morning (higher data cap limits) it goes onto my DVR as available for x amount of days. Now, when I go to watch it later in the aftrernoon, it appears to download again so I cut my internet so I don't use up my data cap. Is it really downloading again? Or, is it a brief connection to access an already downloaded recording? Also, is there a way to schedule an onDemand download for a certain time of the day?

I fully agree! It feels like you are downloading it twice!!! As you my internet is not the best, so I often try and download things late at night. Further I feel like the new Hopper Plus system is using a lot of data/bandwidth regardless of streaming. I am told channel 199 is off the satellite but 198 is streaming off the internet. I am unaware of being able to set a time to download. I do it right before going to sleep. BUT make sure your power reboot time is set far enough away to not interfering with any downloading.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi Guys. I have HughesNet for Internet. So, I restrict video downloads to the early morning hours. Watched the Alaskan Daily pilot and may watch more. Question is, when I download in the morning (higher data cap limits) it goes onto my DVR as available for x amount of days. Now, when I go to watch it later in the aftrernoon, it appears to download again so I cut my internet so I don't use up my data cap. Is it really downloading again? Or, is it a brief connection to access an already downloaded recording? Also, is there a way to schedule an onDemand download for a certain time of the day?

Dish treats On Demand in two different ways depending on the source of the On Demand content.

Some On Demand content gets downloaded to the Hopper3 hard drive where it is available for a certain number of days. STARZ content works this way.

Other On Demand content is streamed to your Hopper3 while you are watching it. It still shows up as available for a certain number of days but it is actually streamed when you start watching it. It does buffer a certain amount on your hard drive while streaming but the entire content is not stored on your hard drive.

Dish treats On Demand in two different ways depending on the source of the On Demand content.

Some On Demand content gets downloaded to the Hopper3 hard drive where it is available for a certain number of days. STARZ content works this way.

Other On Demand content is streamed to your Hopper3 while you are watching it. It still shows up as available for a certain number of days but it is actually streamed when you start watching it. It does buffer a certain amount on your hard drive while streaming but the entire content is not stored on your hard drive.
This is a great explanation BUT it still "feels" like it downloads everything twice.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)