Onkyo 606 Problem

MisterLas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Flemington, WV
Having problems with a new (sorta) Onkyo 606 receiver... Drove to meet Brian from Yambeka audio to pick up a set of his newer 7 speaker set... AMAZING SPEAKERS btw! Nice guy too! (Will try to review the speakers later). Anyways, on the way home, stopped by Circuit City to replace my 6.1 Sony receiver with a receiver that has 7.1 and HDMI. After an hour worth of research comparing the models on my iPhone, ended up getting the TSXR606... highly reviewed. Below is the problem I am experiencing and I think it needs repaired, but I want to see if someone here has experieced these symptoms.

First, I ran the speaker setup with the microphone that came with the receiver, and all the speakers made noise, so that indicated that the entire speaker wiring was correct. I next proceeded to hook my three components to the receiver:

1.Dish Network VIP722 receiver (HDMI – 1080p)
2.Xbox 360 (HDMI – 1080p)
3.Samsung BDP1500 (HDMI – 1080p)
4.HDMI out to Toshiba 47HL167 (1080p)

At first, no audio and no video came through the receiver and/or TV. Upon reading the manual further, I proceeded to factory default the receiver and make sure only the DMI inputs had assignments and disabled the other inputs. Again, no sound and/or video. After unplugging the TX-SR606 and letting it set for approximately 10 minutes with no power, I tried again everything again. No audio/video. We even tried setting the video to both “Through” and “Auto,” but neither option changed the results. With the unit powered on, I unplugged then replugged the Dish VIP722 HDMI cable from the back of the Dish receiver, just to make sure it was plugged in securely, and it tarted working. But those steps only allowed the Dish Network box to start working, no others. If the same steps were applied to the other equipment, there was no change. I preceded to factory default the Onkyo and was able to replicate that same problem.

Upon speaking to Onkyo tech support on February 24, 2009, they told me that what I was experiencing indicated a problem with the unit and to contact a service center. Onkyo was especially concerned because I was never able to get the OSD (On Screen Display) to work. If I replicated the above steps to get the Dish Network to work, I would use the key combination (found in the manual) on the remote to get the OSD to come up and the audio and video would cut out for a second, and then return with no OSD. The representative stated the OSD should have come on at this point. Also, all of my equipment works fine by going from the components straight to the TV via HDMI. We even tried swapping cables around, all with no result.

Called Onkyo and they say to send it have it repaired, but they didn't even attempt to troubleshoot, maybe because of my somewhat thorough tests? Any ideas? Send for repair? Atleast I still have my Sony receiver so I won't have to go out without decent sound until the Onkyo comes back. lol

I have a 606 and haven't experienced anything like that, I can't even imagine how this could be fixed at home, it definitely seems like a send in repair IMO.

Being that you bought this at CC after they went into liquidation, you really have Onkyo as the only recourse.

Oddly this is the 3rd situation I have read regarding receivers from CC since the liquidation started that have all been faulty out of the box. Combine that with the shattered TV screens, chewed up video game discs and other stuff it's really making me glad I have not gone into CC since they went bankrupt.

Thanks for the input... Sent it off last night for repairs to the regional service center in NY. Thought about sending it to the one in Pittsburgh, but I read some reviews of it taking nearly a month and the guys there even lost a few receivers... YIKES!

Mine was actually a display... so I took the chance, but I knew worse comes to worse, it was being shipped somewhere. Atleast I have my 6.1 receiver until I get this one back. I have a feeling CC knew there was something wrong with it, but the guy selling it didn't give off that "used car salesman smell" so I went for it.

CC prices were jacked up then lowered via their "sale" giving the customers such a great deal! This receiver was a good deal though, searched around from my iphone before finally getting it. lol. No better price then what they were going for (unless I hit ebay and it was the just a hair more than CC). Everything else I've seen in there wasn't that great. Waiting for like 80% off and then I'm hitting that Blu-ray selection... lol

I just cranked up my SR606 all the way tonight while the family was out and about and it sounded great. I'm running it at 5.1 with a powered sub. I'm glad I got this AV receiver. It works perfectly with my sat receiver, HDTV and all the rest. I even have my computer with an HDMI out running through it to my TV. All I need now is a wireless keyboard/mouse setup so I car run it from the living room instead of the office.

You definitely get what you pay for (and then some) with the Onkyo TX-SR606.

I just cranked up my SR606 all the way tonight while the family was out and about and it sounded great. I'm running it at 5.1 with a powered sub. I'm glad I got this AV receiver. It works perfectly with my sat receiver, HDTV and all the rest. I even have my computer with an HDMI out running through it to my TV. All I need now is a wireless keyboard/mouse setup so I car run it from the living room instead of the office.

You definitely get what you pay for (and then some) with the Onkyo TX-SR606.

Onkyo has a great value/price ratio. I own an Onkyo 805. That AVR will be in my set up for a long, long time.

Onkyo

I purchased the HT-S6100, but eventually replaced the speakers. The Onkyo speakers were very good for an HTiB, but the replacements are larger and more effecient. The sound is beyond amazing. I am running all 7.1 channels and can only turn my volume up about half way as the neighborhood starts shaking then. My wife tells me she can hear it several blocks down the road. :D

Having problems with a new (sorta) Onkyo 606 receiver... Drove to meet Brian from Yambeka audio to pick up a set of his newer 7 speaker set... AMAZING SPEAKERS btw! Nice guy too! (Will try to review the speakers later). Anyways, on the way home, stopped by Circuit City to replace my 6.1 Sony receiver with a receiver that has 7.1 and HDMI. After an hour worth of research comparing the models on my iPhone, ended up getting the TSXR606... highly reviewed. Below is the problem I am experiencing and I think it needs repaired, but I want to see if someone here has experieced these symptoms.

First, I ran the speaker setup with the microphone that came with the receiver, and all the speakers made noise, so that indicated that the entire speaker wiring was correct. I next proceeded to hook my three components to the receiver:

1.Dish Network VIP722 receiver (HDMI – 1080p)
2.Xbox 360 (HDMI – 1080p)
3.Samsung BDP1500 (HDMI – 1080p)
4.HDMI out to Toshiba 47HL167 (1080p)

At first, no audio and no video came through the receiver and/or TV. Upon reading the manual further, I proceeded to factory default the receiver and make sure only the DMI inputs had assignments and disabled the other inputs. Again, no sound and/or video. After unplugging the TX-SR606 and letting it set for approximately 10 minutes with no power, I tried again everything again. No audio/video. We even tried setting the video to both “Through” and “Auto,” but neither option changed the results. With the unit powered on, I unplugged then replugged the Dish VIP722 HDMI cable from the back of the Dish receiver, just to make sure it was plugged in securely, and it tarted working. But those steps only allowed the Dish Network box to start working, no others. If the same steps were applied to the other equipment, there was no change. I preceded to factory default the Onkyo and was able to replicate that same problem.

Upon speaking to Onkyo tech support on February 24, 2009, they told me that what I was experiencing indicated a problem with the unit and to contact a service center. Onkyo was especially concerned because I was never able to get the OSD (On Screen Display) to work. If I replicated the above steps to get the Dish Network to work, I would use the key combination (found in the manual) on the remote to get the OSD to come up and the audio and video would cut out for a second, and then return with no OSD. The representative stated the OSD should have come on at this point. Also, all of my equipment works fine by going from the components straight to the TV via HDMI. We even tried swapping cables around, all with no result.

Called Onkyo and they say to send it have it repaired, but they didn't even attempt to troubleshoot, maybe because of my somewhat thorough tests? Any ideas? Send for repair? Atleast I still have my Sony receiver so I won't have to go out without decent sound until the Onkyo comes back. lol

My buddy's 606 had a similar problem yesterday. Both of his component video inputs quite producing a picture. I did what you said, and unplugged it for about 15 minutes, and everything came back on. Sorry for your problem, but if I hadn't read your post, my buddy would have been shipping his off for repairs. My buddy thanks you.

My buddy's 606 had a similar problem yesterday. Both of his component video inputs quite producing a picture. I did what you said, and unplugged it for about 15 minutes, and everything came back on. Sorry for your problem, but if I hadn't read your post, my buddy would have been shipping his off for repairs. My buddy thanks you.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuinqB9z3JI"]YouTube - My Buddy Commercial[/ame]

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but I just realized that I never replied with my findings....

As it turns out, my TX-SR606 had a bad HDMI board, so the company replaced it and I had the brand (like)new receiver home before I knew it. The Onkyo works beautifully, and I have not had a single problem since.

I really need to do a review on the Yambeka Audio speakers as they look amazing... and sound even better. I get compliments on the speakers from people on the aesthetics alone, and then they hear it and are impressed. I love them!

Oh, and LOL btw on the My Buddy video...

I am have the same problem with my 606. My HDMI inputs are working, but component is not.

I unplugged the 606 for a little longer then 15 minutes and that did not help.
Other then trying to go back to factory defaults any other ideas?

SarKen,

I had to have my 'refurbished' unit worked on 2 times in the shop (still while under warranty thankfully). Hopefully yours is in the same boat if it needs repair.

SarKen,

I had to have my 'refurbished' unit worked on 2 times in the shop (still while under warranty thankfully). Hopefully yours is in the same boat if it needs repair.

I will be sending mine in for repair sometime this week. It seems once the unit has been on for about 10 min and turn it off and back everything works. The good new is that it is still under warranty.

They say it is going to take 4 weeks, longer if they have to order parts.

I got mine back with a turn around time of 11 days. I was told it would be 3-4 weeks. The paper work says that they replaced a leaking capacitor in the power supply and I should check for shorts in my wires.

I checked and did not find any and everything is working again. I hope that it does not happen again.

I got mine back with a turn around time of 11 days. I was told it would be 3-4 weeks. The paper work says that they replaced a leaking capacitor in the power supply and I should check for shorts in my wires.

I checked and did not find any and everything is working again. I hope that it does not happen again.

There was a serious problem with electronics manufactured in the last two years with defective electrolytic capacitors. The defective units were chinese manufactured and were no just on cheap stuff. The company I worked for got burned on capacitors that were supposedly mil-aero certified.

You can tell it is close to failing when the top of the case starts to bulge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts