Online map to help position dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ucsbgaucho

Original poster
May 20, 2004
I just moved, have DirecTV scheduled to come out tomorrow to install, and I'm very unsure that I've got line of sight to the satellites. Is there any sort of online map, like Google or mapquest, where you can put in your address and it'll show you a line of where the dish will approx be pointing? I know I can go out and buy a compass, but if there's something online (similar to antennaweb.org) that'd be great!

No map needed (or wanted). What you need is a heading compass ($12 at Wal-Mart or sporting goods) You can either type in your new zip on the receiver to get the AZIMUTH (heading) or you can type it here and we can give you the new co-ords.

take charpers advice. i have a suunto inclinometer ($170.00) and 99.9% of the time on my installs i use the wal-mart clear liquid filled map compass ($6.00)

The RCA site would be the best bet of those 2 if you just have to have a site printout.

Because you get a more complete/acurate setup co-ord.

thanks, but thats not what i was looking for. I want something just like mapquest, you type in your address and it shows a map with streets, etc... but then has an overlayed straight line coming out from your address in the direction the dish will be needing to point... just like the website antennaweb.org and how that site shows you the direction of the OTA antennas based on your address... I have a general idea, and they are coming in the morning to install, but someone coming up with a map like that would be a great idea!

P.S. .... entering my zip code on that RCA page, I get different settings than when I do it on DirecTV's own site... why is that?

charper the name is bob...im the president of the DYAA football league within the mon valley midget football league here south of the burgh. im dragon 002 because we are the donora dragons and even though im the president and director of football operations. the kids are number 1 and come first. hence dragon 002

www census gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer
Key in your zip code and then on next page click MAP.
Put . where spaces are in the URL above. I'm forbidden to post a link.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.