Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jack Ivy

Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
madawaska ontario
New guy here..
Purchased an Open Box S10 but I cannot find anywhere to download
firmware to allow me to capture US feeds.
Entered one in manually but this was a pain and I really don't know
what I am doing.
I seems the downloads are not working.
Can anyone help.
Thks jack

Welcome Jack Ivy!

Openbox is a generic brand of receiver that are manufactured by several factories and have different hardware configurations. If you know what chipset is used, we might be able to direct you to a compatible channel editor. Otherwise, try contacting the seller to find out what assistance and resources they will provide,

Welcome Jack Ivy!

Openbox is a generic brand of receiver that are manufactured by several factories and have different hardware configurations. If you know what chipset is used, we might be able to direct you to a compatible channel editor. Otherwise, try contacting the seller to find out what assistance and resources they will provide,
Thanks for the reply, my supplier here is useless. He has no info to give me.
I should have known better because he told me he didn't know much about the unit.
I purchased it in Canada from Angel electronics last month.
Can you recommend a unit that does have North American, US satellites pre loaded?
All I really want is for one feed that gives me PBS fta.
It is for my cottage in central Ontario.
thks again.
jack

Too bad sellers exist with this level of incompetency.

We could help you program in the one satellite and transponder to get your system up and running for this simple need. You really don't need North American firmware to receive the satellites, but a prepopulated satellite / transponder list does make it easier. If you prefer a receiver with excellent customer support, a great receiver that is easy to use is the Amiko mini HD.265 sold by NC Electronics.

Tell us more about your system and location of the install (postal code). What size dish? Is the LNB standard or universal type? What satellite and PBS channel do you wish to watch?

Too bad sellers exist with this level of incompetency.
emoji20.png

We could help you program in the one satellite and transponder to get your system up and running for this simple need. You really don't need North American firmware to receive the satellites, but a prepopulated satellite / transponder list does make it easier. If you prefer a receiver with excellent customer support, a great receiver that is easy to use is the Amiko mini HD.265 sold by NC Electronics.

Tell us more about your system and location of the install (postal code). What size dish? Is the LNB standard or universal type? What satellite and PBS channel do you wish to watch?
Wow, Thanks,
my location is Lat. 45.544 / Lon. 78.0395
Dish - Ariza - AT80-1 30 or 32"
LNB - GT-LST40C - KU Band single loop.
Any satellite from 72W to 123W is in my site range.
I thought SES - 2 ?
Open to any suggestions.
I did pick up one satellite feed but all I got was Foreign and the Florida Channel.
Any PBS feed works for me .
thks again.

Have checked out NC Electronics and have contacted them for shipping info to Canada.
Still would like to try to get this unit to pull in One PBS feed, just out of spite now and also
so I can say to the wife my 40 trips up and down the hill were not in vain.
thks jack

Reactions: raydio
I don't think a 30" ku dish can get the LPB pbs channels on Ses2 87w. You'll need at least a true 1 meter dish, and a lot of luck, as those are the hardest channels to lock and keep locked for most people due to DVB-S2 8psk. That means they need a larger dish, perfect aim, and maybe prayer wouldn't hurt.

Though IF you do manage to get them locked with your present equipment, you'll then be able to get most anything else as a piece of cake.

"40 trips up and down the hill". You'll need the receiver and tv set right at the dish to get it aimed, if you have any hope of getting LPB.

I suggest you start by getting the MTA channels locked and loaded. 11737 V DVB-S QPSK. Once those are in perfectly and with as high a quality level you can get, you might have a hope of LPB coming in.

GT-LST40C LNB = Standard 10750 (set to this in the receiver menu).

I don't think a 30" ku dish can get the LPB pbs channels on Ses2 87w. You'll need at least a true 1 meter dish, and a lot of luck, as those are the hardest channels to lock and keep locked for most people due to DVB-S2 8psk. That means they need a larger dish, perfect aim, and maybe prayer wouldn't hurt.

Though IF you do manage to get them locked with your present equipment, you'll then be able to get most anything else as a piece of cake.

"40 trips up and down the hill". You'll need the receiver and tv set right at the dish to get it aimed, if you have any hope of getting LPB.

I suggest you start by getting the MTA channels locked and loaded. 11737 V DVB-S QPSK. Once those are in perfectly and with as high a quality level you can get, you might have a hope of LPB coming in.

Can you suggest any English feeds that I may get with this equipment?
I did get the Moslim feeds in good quality but not speaking Farsi didn't go over well.
thks jack

Can you suggest any English feeds that I may get with this equipment?
I did get the Moslim feeds in good quality but not speaking Farsi didn't go over well.
thks jack

The only other PBS feeds on KU that I'm aware of that you could get with such a small dish, would be 125w AMC21. MUCH better choice for PBS, and you'd do well to try for this one. But that doesn't seem to be in your list above. Is there anyway you can get 125w? Maybe move the dish over a bit to clear a tree or whatever? If you stick with only wanting PBS, you'll need a bigger dish.

You can look up what's on the various sats here, and they keep this up to date daily, unlike Sathint:
Satellite Charts - Search

See what you think you'd like, and then post the sat(s) here, and we can tell you if you have a chance to get them with your present dish.

Reactions: martin-f

You know what's strange, I have a Winegard 30" dish and get LPB on SES 2 all day long in NM with 75% quality on my HD.265. But I have a hell of a time getting the PBS stations on AMC 21...I can get Montana PBS but none of the others -

You know what's strange, I have a Winegard 30" dish and get LPB on SES 2 all day long in NM with 75% quality on my HD.265. But I have a hell of a time getting the PBS stations on AMC 21...I can get Montana PBS but none of the others -

Nothing strange about it, you are probably in a main high power lobe of the KU beam for 87w, and then there's skill level in installing and aiming. Also, your Amiko receiver might be a big part of it. Who knows which version of the Openbox the OP has.

I'm located much closer to the op, and LPB is pretty touchy in my area with anything less than a true 1 meter size dish, and he appears to be in a lobe that's even weaker for that sat.

Reactions: martin-f and raydio
Strange I get Montana PBS and the other PBS network feeds on 125w really well on a 90cm dish. Maybe the Ku antenna on the satellite favours the northern states as I am a stones' throw from ND border here. The feeds on 87 are receivable but tricky to get as primestar31 indicates. Maybe their footprint maps are a bit off...

Like Cham, I get PBS on 125w without an issue on my 90cm motorized dish here in Central PA. I also get LPB on 87w with no problems. Lots of factors involved - dish size, dish quality, careful aim (as primestar31 said), lnb quality, proper skew (if stationary dish), location within footprint, clear view to satellite, etc. :rolleyes:

Reactions: raydio
I did get SES2 but the PBS did not show up doing a blind scan.
The tvro site shows I would need a 120cm. dish for PBS but I did get the
Florida channel which shows the same.
I can try for AMC 21.
Would my current Open box with a larger dish work or should I go
back to the start with a new dish and receiver that has US sat loaded.
What do I need to pre program into the open box to scan for AMC 21.
Thanks for the feed back, until I found this site I was adrift at sea, still
haven't found solid ground yet but the advice is encouraging.
thks jack

I did get SES2 but the PBS did not show up doing a blind scan.
The tvro site shows I would need a 120cm. dish for PBS but I did get the
Florida channel which shows the same.
I can try for AMC 21.
Would my current Open box with a larger dish work or should I go
back to the start with a new dish and receiver that has US sat loaded.
What do I need to pre program into the open box to scan for AMC 21.
Thanks for the feed back, until I found this site I was adrift at sea, still
haven't found solid ground yet but the advice is encouraging.
thks jack

Have you tried to do a transponder scan, JUST on the specific transponder that LPB is on? I don't know how to do it on your specific receiver, but it's well worth trying one if it's capable of it.

Most receivers it's a matter of bringing up that transponder in the list (or creating it if it doesn't presently exist) then highlight it, and press the OK button for a scan.

Have you tried to do a transponder scan, JUST on the specific transponder that LPB is on? I don't know how to do it on your specific receiver, but it's well worth trying one if it's capable of it.

Most receivers it's a matter of bringing up that transponder in the list (or creating it if it doesn't presently exist) then highlight it, and press the OK button for a scan.
I think I have but I will make sure that transponder is put into the list and give it a whirl.
thks jack

I get LPB on an old Muzzak dish that's about 70cm (but in a weird shape). Not much margin for rainfade though. I get 125W on a 90cm, much stronger. Now, let's keep in mind that in your location the signal is a bit weaker on both satellites than it is here in western CT. So a 30" dish might be borderline for LPB.

I agree with Primestar, it might make sense to try to enter the transponder (in case it was not detected), then do a transponder scan. It's not uncommon that more difficult channels get skipped during a blindscan (for example if the transponder is slow to lock)

Reactions: martin-f
I get LPB on an old Muzzak dish that's about 70cm (but in a weird shape). Not much margin for rainfade though. I get 125W on a 90cm, much stronger. Now, let's keep in mind that in your location the signal is a bit weaker on both satellites than it is here in western CT. So a 30" dish might be borderline for LPB.

I agree with Primestar, it might make sense to try to enter the transponder (in case it was not detected), then do a transponder scan. It's not uncommon that more difficult channels get skipped during a blindscan (for example if the transponder is slow to lock)
Great tips guys thks

I found the North American satellite list for the Open Box S10. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you. Some satellite names will have changed since 2012, but the positions are still there and you can rename them.

The S10 was a pretty popular receiver 6 or 7 years ago and for the most part is still current. Firmware issues such as audio sync and knock-off detection made it complicated. Knock-off models were produced and sold, causing the original manufacturer to code knock-detection into their firmware which would cause the fake boxes to not boot properly. You'd then have to restore the firmware via serial cable.

I sold mine but wish I had kept it as a spare.

I have a current dbs file from my Openbox S9. I believe it is compatible with the S10. I have used S10 firmware on the S9 without issue.
You can also PM me for a copy if you like.
I have dealt with Angel Electronics. They provide absolutely NO support for FTA receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts