Open boxes before install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cbh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I just purchased a 3 room system from Ultimate Electronics and I am just waiting for my install date. Since I own the equipment, is it ok for me to open the boxes to read the manuals and check them out? I was thinking of having the receivers hooked up to my tvs when the installer gets there. Anyone see any problems with any of this? Thanks.

Problem...

YES!! There is a huge problem with that.
If anything is missing/broken when the installer arrives and the boxes were opened prior to the installer coming, the installation company and the retailer normally hold you responsible.
That leaves any cost of equipment on you. Granted that everything is normally there and nothing is broken. But is it really that important you take the chance?
Believe me, if the access card is not in the box and the installer/ installation company have to replace it, then D* can not regulate the price..... which is normally high.

Just to be on the safe side.... I'd wait.

BAD Idea to open the box, if the installer says there is no line of sight or the job cant be done to local and NEC code and YOU have opened the box you may be charged extra for returning the "USED" system, check the box if it says "Only to be opened by the installer" I would follow those recommendations!

Not to mention in addition to all the things said technically speaking if you open the box you void ALL equipment and installation warranties. I was actually told not to install opened systems... I did, but I wasn't supposed to...

sorry for the bad advice. I opened mine before the install and there was no problem with. I guess they are right about if something is missing, better to be safe.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to leave them sealed until the installer is here to prevent any unnecessary problems.

cbh said:
I just purchased a 3 room system from Ultimate Electronics and I am just waiting for my install date. Since I own the equipment, is it ok for me to open the boxes to read the manuals and check them out? I was thinking of having the receivers hooked up to my tvs when the installer gets there. Anyone see any problems with any of this? Thanks.

Did you get the awesome deal that they were having on Friday-Saturday???

They were offering 1 HD receiver, 1 Tivo unit and 1 standard receiver all for free after rebates!!!!!

Wish I had been in the market to jump on that.

deezoneezo said:
Not to mention in addition to all the things said technically speaking if you open the box you void ALL equipment and installation warranties. I was actually told not to install opened systems... I did, but I wasn't supposed to...

how do you void the warranty if you open the cardboard box??
If you open tyhe unit, yes you void the warranty...not the cardboard box

As an installer who does a lot of installs, I can tell you that most of us cares nothing about how the customer deals with his or her own equipment.

The equipment purchase is between the customer and the dealer who sold it to him or her.

If I were the customer, I'd check to see if everything was complete on everything that is shipped to me. I'd immediately contact the dealer, if something is missing, so the dealer can make arrangements for replacement parts.

Now, if you were the customer, and you damage or lose parts out of the box, then it is your responsibility.

The installer does not warrent the equipment. That is between you, the customer, and the dealer that you purchased it from. It is diffferent, if you opened up the cabinets of the receivers and played with the components inside.

If you lose the batteries, however, you might have to get new ones, or the installer might charge you for them. I usually keep a few in the truck and charge the customer less that they'd pay, if they went out and bought them him or herself, if I charge them at all. The same goes for cables, especially the cheesy RG59 coax, which I never use anyway.

Tonedeaf said:
Did you get the awesome deal that they were having on Friday-Saturday???

They were offering 1 HD receiver, 1 Tivo unit and 1 standard receiver all for free after rebates!!!!!

Wish I had been in the market to jump on that.

Yes, that is the deal I went with. I had been thinking about signing up for a while and that was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Me2

Mike500 said:
As an installer who does a lot of installs, I can tell you that most of us cares nothing about how the customer deals with his or her own equipment.

The equipment purchase is between the customer and the dealer who sold it to him or her.

If I were the customer, I'd check to see if everything was complete on everything that is shipped to me. I'd immediately contact the dealer, if something is missing, so the dealer can make arrangements for replacement parts.

Now, if you were the customer, and you damage or lose parts out of the box, then it is your responsibility.

The installer does not warrent the equipment. That is between you, the customer, and the dealer that you purchased it from. It is diffferent, if you opened up the cabinets of the receivers and played with the components inside.

If you lose the batteries, however, you might have to get new ones, or the installer might charge you for them. I usually keep a few in the truck and charge the customer less that they'd pay, if they went out and bought them him or herself, if I charge them at all. The same goes for cables, especially the cheesy RG59 coax, which I never use anyway.

I also install, and can say it don't mean nothing to me either if the box is open, but on one job I had, when I got to the Customers house, not only was the box opened, IRD's where setup in the rooms but the guy somehow mixed up the cards for the IRD's, that was a hassel untill I found out there was mixed up cards in the boxes. (try to get DTV to activate a mismatched card & IRD)

I went shopping with my brother in law this weekend and helped him get the Ultimate (Soundtrack) deal. He was also able to get a $300.00 credit for the Samsung 360 and apply it to the HR 10-250 making his total $700.00.

I asked specifically about activating the HD DirecTivo box early so he could watch the Bronco's snow job on Sunday. They said no problem. We ended up not messing with it because of the storm here. He did open the boxes to read the manuals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)