Openbox S10 continuous reboot fix

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I picked up an Openbox S10 several months ago. The receiver constantly rebooted and would not drive the USALS motor. I picked up a new power supply for it and it still had the same problem. I then heard from Pixl that there is a chip on the power supply SD4841p that is seriously underrated for the design of the receiver. I sourced a pair of the proper SD4844p chips on Ebay from China and got them tonight. I managed to solder them in with my novice soldering skills and am happy to report that this box now works flawlessly. It drives my SG2100 with gusto. So a big thanks to Pixl. Anyone who has a troublesome S10 should look at the power supply and see if it has the SD4841p. It will be nice to finally be able to use this box.

rrob
great to see you troubleshoot the power supply problem!! Good Job!!! When you have a chance if possible let us know the link for the 4844 chip, I'll like to order a few and keep them in my stock. Again, thanks for a good job!!

Don't thank me thank Pixl! Just do an Ebay search for SD4844 and you will find them. I think they had like 10 for 17$ shipped or something. I only ordered two.

I seen Pixl post on that on another site not to long ago.
And yes credit needs to go to Pixl, but thank you rrob for posting it.

Actually I did get a tip from "Slugworth" on the UK message board Digitalworldz. But I am happy to have conveyed this fix here. Nice job on finding the replacement chip.

I think somebody said Openbox S10 works with no problem if you connect it to a 220 AC Volt external power supply. Anybody can confirm this?

I think somebody said Openbox S10 works with no problem if you connect it to a 220 AC Volt external power supply. Anybody can confirm this?
I have read a comment a guy left at Amazon. He was upset about the performance of the S10 and he did use a 220 volt AC source instead the 110 V AC. He claimed that this solved his problem.

The only 220v outlet that is common in the US is for a dryer or an electric range. I wouldn't be able to test that one.

Take a regular extension cord and remove the male plug-in.
Hook it up the wires from the extension cord parallel with your hot water heater electrical supply etc etc....white to white, black to black, green to green,
Then just plug in the receiver at the female plug and turn breaker on.

Ok... This post scares the #$%@ out of me just thinking of "Joe Average" pushing bare wires into a 220 socket. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)