Openbox S10 HD issue satellite names

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Ok. I am nearly 99.999% my dish is alligned correctly. It was correct a few weeks ago and I haven't changed it. And no one else touches it. The only thing I have done is remove the firmware updates that are garbage and returned to the 7/17 update the only one that works stable.

My southern satellite is 83W and this worked a few weeks ago from position zero on my HH motor.

Here is the problem when I do a new scan starting at the reference point "0" and scan the complete arc that I can see 61 to 107.3w I get all the channels as normal. However, their satellite names are incorrect.

It is displaying RTV, TUFF TV as being on 87W AMC 3 which is incorrect. I can get all the other satellites and the normal channels but everyone of the satellite names are wrong. :confused:

Again this was all correct a few weeks ago under another firmware and RTV and TUFF TV were at 83W AMC 9.

I have installed this version of the firmware before and it worked fine.

What did I do wrong? :confused:

When you reset the software you would have lost all your settings if you didn't save them on a USB. It likely just defaulted to 87w as the sat listed at ref 0. You have to redo all your position settings anyway so just go to ref 0 and save it as 83W (you'll still have 87 at the same spot but you will then resave it at the correct location once the dish is moved) and go from there. If 83 isn't exactly due south, then may be better to use diseq to move the dish.

When you reset the software you would have lost all your settings if you didn't save them on a USB. It likely just defaulted to 87w as the sat listed at ref 0. You have to redo all your position settings anyway so just go to ref 0 and save it as 83W (you'll still have 87 at the same spot but you will then resave it at the correct location once the dish is moved) and go from there. If 83 isn't exactly due south, then may be better to use diseq to move the dish.
Hmm... not sure how that works. It is a HH motor. There are no understandable instructions for this receiver. When I reset the receiver I made sure that HH motor was set on "0" which should still be my 83W satellite. But if the receiver thinks 87 is my "0" satellite I don't see how it finds the channels for 83W. I'm very confused. lol I'll mess around with it and see what happens.

The box doesn't "know" on its own what sat its pointed at. You can point it at 83 and tell it its 87 or 125 and its none the wiser. It only gets channels when it scans tp's but no feedback as to which sat is which, thats a human input. It does make a difference if your due south reference is not perfectly correct and you are using USALS but you can get around the whole issue by using diseq 2.0 and locking in the sats one by one as you bump the dish across the sat belt.

For USALS if you are set to 0 on the motor and aimed right at 83w, then on your s10 go into the sat setup - position setting menu and make sure all sats are assigned to 0 position (the list where you assign sats as position 1, 2, 3 etc.) which will wipe any saved position settings. Then making sure the motor is still physically due south and at reference 0 and aimed at 83w (use the RTV tp as a guide), select 83w on the sat list, optimize and save the position as sat 1. Then recalculate. This should reset you to 83w as your reference sat and allow you to use USALS.

I find it easier to use diseq 2.0. With all sats set to position 0 as above, I bump the sat over to 61.5W or 72W, optimize and save based on known strong tp's, going 1 for 61.5..2 for 72.. 3 for 74 etc. and then bump accross the sky all the way to 125w, hitting the 18 or so ku sats on the way. Its about 8 bumps for 2 degrees of arc. I'm in the Toronto area so 79w is my due south but that sat is somewhat dead but with a vertical mast and an as close as I get it set up I get strong Q at both 61.5 and 125 (no issue with Montana PBS or anything else.). If I used USALS I would be off a degree or 2 at 125 due to the not perfect due south guesstimate so diseq is much better as I hit and tune sats precisely.

I'm using October s10 firmware, works well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts