Openbox S10 not stuttering finally.....but recording? Need some help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Starting to feel like I have to comb all the site before posting if it's Openbox material, as it may have been covered!

In any case, I went backwards from the August release on this site which I reviewed as having "fixed" the no power-down issue and a few other things. Installed the 7-17-11 as mentioned by another Jim on this site, and thus far, the stuttering on HD IS gone. But, the recording to a thumb drive is more than flaky, its downright impossible.

The issue found thus far: (asking for advice/fixes/etc here)

1) Simple plugging in of thumb drive can freeze or kill box, making reboot necessary Thought this was due to incompatible formatting, so....which format? and......perhaps its a speed of memory on the thumb issue? Will this go away with proper EXTERNALLY powered hard-drive, and which one(s) might be recommended?

Other than the change in logo to "skybox" when booting, the appearance changes in menu going back to being across the top, and a delay/quick mute/stutter when menu functions are accessed (which I can easily live-with) I'll trade stuttering for slight menu inconveniences any day. Glad the favorites loaded back the same as the August version.

FAT32 works on my 4GB USB thumbdrive with OpenBox S10. Using latest firmware (11-09-14) from Shenzen Wanying with American satellite list loaded after firmware load.

Other serious issues I have noted with this latest firmware are freezing on a few channels, including WVGN-NBC, (SD and steady 77Q) and it will sometimes disconnect from my 32GB FAT32 USB hard drive and then reconnect in a few seconds, making the drive useless as a DVR. This same drive works perfectly with 2 computers and a CNX Mini satellite receiver.

The firmware for this box is disappointing so far.

Thank you for responding.

Sometimes, the "happy medium" in this hobby is what you can tolerate with regard to functionality based on your individual intended use and viewing habits.

The 7-17 FW, as many have reported seems to have smoothed out 90 or more percent of the freezes in the movie channels on my S10, better running than the August versin, and my only quest now is to see what we can do to record from the receiver. If that can't be done easily with the intended USB function, external recording hardware (DVD or Hard drive/DVD combo) will do fine. Bottom line for me is "what renders the most stable operation" and once that's achieved, "how to record" with the least issues? Yes, the menus and associated screen changes are slow, but....the enjoyment of selected programming is much BETTER with this older FW for me.

This is not unlike our radio station's on air software. We are about 7 revisions behind, constantly bugged by the vendor to upgrade and buy "support" but, what we have WORKS, so we leave it alone knowing we can walk away without worries. I hope this (7-17) is the Openbox equivalent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Try formating your drive using NTFS file system. This is much more efficient than fat 32 and faster. I use it on an s9 and s10 with firmware version s9s10americas 16/11/2010. You can get this firmware version at wydvb.com. Click on downloads and scroll down. I haven't done any timed recording but for just hitting the record button and walking away it works fine. I haven't experienced any freezing with this firmware.

I just tried the 7-17-11 firmware from SHENZHEN WANYING, and my S10 has no audio output on AC3 channels with this firmware. Went back to the original s9s10americas firmware sent to me by the ebay seller. No freezing/locking up needing hard reboot yet with this load. Gave up on any european version software for now. What fun!

I think a LOT of Openboxes are going to be for sale when the MicroHD comes out. The only question is, will anyone buy them? :(

I'm glad they announced the MicroHD early though -- it saved me from spending too much money on a Manhattan or a Pansat!

The openbox seems to be nice for the person who just wants to watch something in HD like PBS

But for folks who want to record and do more "advanced" things it may not be the best option

The openbox seems to be nice for the person who just wants to watch something in HD like PBS
But for folks who want to record and do more "advanced" things it may not be the best option

I tend to agree, I had less issues with the older receivers, but they didn't pull in some of the feeds as you know.

What would be a good way on this forum to consolidate our S-10/S-9 Software stories, issues, and results that may help us all to find and use a version that works for individual users? I'm not suggesting the posting of 3rd party software unapproved. Pretty sure most everyone knows where to look if a "date" of the software and the results are available to be shared! I thought I'd found the best when I reviewed the version posted on this site, but my box was freezing too much and I had to go out and get another. AZ has its own forum, would it help Openbox users to have some consolidation for comparison of firmware and results?

And yes, the new Satellite AV box looks GREAT, Manhattan is tempting if its stable! Read the whole review thread here one night, it seemed almost like a 100 percent turnaround from beginning to end in how users of this site viewed the Manhattan! Decisions around Christmas for "self-gifting" are really tough!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)