Hope, 3ABN, Al Jazeera Gone

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
I had not watched my FTA for a while and when I turned it on this evening I couldn't get Hope, 3ABN or Al Jazeera English although I get TBN and several other channels very good. Have some channels moved or are those signals weaker?

working fine here in Minnesota

Hope and 3ABN are on 11842 H 22000
AJE on 12152 H 20000

I've seen it where the dish can be off by just a smidge and some transponders come in on 97W and some wont. Its weird honestly
Sounds like the dish may be off just a little bit

Thanks. I'll lean on it a bit tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I am not getting any of the Adventist channels, AJE or Russia Today but when I did a scan I got over 100.

Shane, when standing behind the dish - push/pull it a bit to the right. Because of some interference from another satellite the dish has trouble with some of the frequencies, particularly the 11,842. By favoring the dish to the West, you can mitigate that interference.
Bob

Thanks. I'll lean on it a bit tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I am not getting any of the Adventist channels, AJE or Russia Today but when I did a scan I got over 100.

Blind scan the other day resulted in a count of 247 video and 144 audio. Work at your dish since Al Jazeera, Russia Today and Ebru are among finest on the Ku satellites for news junkies who voluntarily gave up paying for BBC, CNN and Fox. CCTV on 95W also very good. Wish I could get BBC on Ku. Working at getting PBS from 125W but no AC3 decoder here; video without audio isn't so interesting.

A blind scan of G19 should come up with 262 TV and 144 Radio channels respectively. 80 cm dishes have a hard time figthing interference on 97W on some TP specially weak ones like 11842H. That is why when you slightly bend the dish pulling from the top left from behind (by deforming its parabolic shape a bit) it acctually increases signal quality as a result of improving CNR by minimizing noise from the adjacent birds. 95W and 99W although not so crowded interfere with some signals. 90 cm dishes ,like the OP has, should be used on this crowded bird therefore.

80 cm dishes have a hard time figthing interference on 97W on some TP specially weak ones like 11842H.

I was using a 90cm and a GEOSATpro DVR1100c for 97W but it was not easy balancing the signal between 11842 and the other transponders so I decided to use a Primestar 75E, I peaked it on 11842H with 85% signal. All other transponder are 75-90%. I think the oval shape of the Primestar dish rejects the interference.

That explains why I've never noticed this issue at home, but fought with it every time I did a glorystar setup. Primestar dish at home, round dish there.

a few years ago there was a sports feed that had major issues with adjacent interference. A primestar dish (or in my case a DirecPC dish) solved that issue while folks with even 36" egg shaped dishes had issues

One note on the audio problem mentioned earlier. If you have a dolby digital 5.1 surround system check the back of the receiver and see if you have a spdif in. If you have an spdif out on your satellite receiver you can run a cable in between and that will give you audio on the PBS stations.

OK, I finally got some time to mess with it. I first moved it back and forth. I got nothing. So then I went up and down. I got nothing. Then I rotated the LNBF. I got nothing. I moved the LNBF in and out. I got nothing. So now I have everything back where it was and am in the same situation. I get TBN, Cornerstone and a host of other channels. My signal strength is between 72 and 75 on those. Quality ranges between 45 and 60 depending on the channel. I don't have 3ABN, Hope or Al Jazerra. Signal strength on those is 69.

So I am going to have to budget some money for a technician to come out and fix it. The question now becomes, since I have two dishes and nothing is on AMC4, which other satellite should I have him point it at? Are there some PBS or network channels on another bird?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts