openbox s9 and hard drives

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Ok so I've been using that "new to me" s9 now for a week or so now and I've been impressed with it's blind scan capabilities along with the ease of setting up the Vbox X to it. But I tried to connect my external hard drive to it the other night and when I booted up the picture on the screen was bonkers?? Disconnected that USB hard drive and all is well????

So what am I missing on the hard drive thingie? FYI, that hard drive has been connected to my AZBox Elite, is formatted in FAT32 and has a s**t load of movies on it.:confused:

Does the USB box have its own power supply?
Was it connected and activated?

Reason I ask, is 'cause I have some older portable external drives.
They are based on 2½ inch drive (laptop) technology.
And, they work fine plugged into my Philips DVD player, Western Digital media player, computer, and Visionsat FTA receiver withOUT external power.
But I use the very short original cable (bigger wires).
If in doubt, try to power the drive (maybe with a good powered hub?)

Also, some brands just don't work with some receivers.

If you value the data on the drive, I'd back it up now.

This drive is a WD 320 SATA with a USB adapter and an external power supply. It works great on both of my AZBoxes and all 8 of my computers but this Openbox doesn't seem to like it at all? Hummm?

LG
I had a WD 320GB when I owned my S9 (and S10) and they worked fine. I had to reformat it to make it work. Had an external power supply

Lone,

I've tested several drives on the S-9. 2.5" portable drive drawing power from the S-9, 1 TB self powered Omega, and a cheap $13 IDE adapter self powered with several IDE drives pulled from computers. To me seems anything works on a S-9. Now my first FTA receiver was a GeoSatPro, was very particular to work with just a few drives. But the OpenBox, no prob. for me.

If it's going to require a format and reload to use it with the s9 then I'll just pass on that for now and use the AZs for that stuff.

If your worried about loosing all those goodys on the external drive!Just dump it all onto your computers hard dive if you have the room then put it back later.

Yeah well, I got those files backed up on one of the 6 hard drives in my computer now but I use that drive on the AZBox also and I don't want to have to be formatting and reloading that crap every time I change from one receiver to the other. As I said, the external drive works with both my AZs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts