Openbox S9 firmware with working clock! (READ CAREFULLY)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
First, read this thread. The firmware discussed in it is the immediate predecessor of the firmware with the working clock, and there are a lot of things you need to know about it: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/274017-openbox-s10-firmware-works-s9.html

Then, if you're ready to try the latest, download it here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6qTQBg&usg=AFQjCNGyri36OtTEX8zkf-95JiPfyvaBug

Using this version of the firmware, when you press the power button, the receiver only shuts down to the point of displaying "OFF" on the front-panel LED display. The "standby" LED does not come on. While it's in this state, it maintains the time! I haven't tested timers yet, but I've left it in this state for arbitrarily long periods and always had the correct time displayed when pressing the power button to bring it back to full operation. I haven't tested how much power it consumes in this mode vs. the standby mode that all previous firmware versions entered, but as we all know, a properly-working Openbox never consumes much power anyway. Note also that there still doesn't appear to be a true hardware clock in the S9 -- if you shut it off with the rear panel hard power switch, it will come back up with the incorrect time. (Strangely though, it comes up with the time you killed the power, not the default time that all previous firmware versions came up with.)

Hey Jim,

Everyone has complained about the clock, then gave up...I'll try the file but I don't like the 3 column list and freeze ups. You can set the clock and just leave it on. But thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll cross breed the two files and have the clock and....well we can wish.

Hey Thanks
Downloaded the file for myself but will hold it for a while until I hear a little big more about it.!!! I hope this version is based on the most recent release which work on all models S9/S10/S11. I tried this one and its working fine on my 3 S9s with the S10 look (pull down menus). Hope they merged them together!!
Thanks!!!

With the versions I've seen, you can't leave it on and use timers, because it shuts off when the timer is finished. I haven't tested timers on this version yet, but I assume it would only shut down to the same state it goes to when you push the power button.

The freezing issue is a strange thing. It doesn't happen to me consistently.

I'm not a big fan of the 3-column list either. The only satellite that's full enough to need it is 97, and even on there it's a bother because the channel names are shortened too much. If I was doing it, I'd use a smaller font, but then you'd have the NTSC-only people complaining.

I first tested my S9 with a 1TB external disk (NTFS format) to ensure it worked correctly with my 110830 version of firmware. It recorded manually and automatically with a programmed timer, except at the end of the programmed record time, the S9 turned off and therefore the S9 lost the correct time. You could only ever have one timer programmed without then resetting the clock.

I then installed this new firmware version. Everything is great except....it doesn't record automatically now! The S9 turns on automatically, changes to correct channel to be recorded, waits the correct amount of time for the recording to be done, then the S9 turns off at the end. The display reads "Off" and correct time is retained. But the S9 doesn't go into record mode and no recorded file results. I can manually record using the RECORD button on the remote with this new firmware. I notice the PS selection on the timer is now greyed out; it wasn't before and could be changed for each timer independently.

I like the visual look of the new firmware and the 3 columns are fine for me. I leave the scrambled channels configured as Skip so I do have lots of channels on several satellites on the channel screen. No lockups experienced. I want to keep this, but if it won't do programmed record, there's still a big problem.

Can anybody suggest why I can't do programmed record now?

When programming the timer: change Timer Service to Record. The default is Channel. (Where it just tunes the channel) This will also enable PS Record (Yes/No) Hoping this works.

Changing the Timer Service to Record solved the problem of the PVR. I never saw that setting. I think this is now the best firmware I've seen for the S9 since the time and PVR timers now work correctly. The only outstanding problem is how to edit radio channels.

Well, I gave it a try. With the menu on top it did not follow the blind S9 routine of button and arrow pushing to get to 60 for the display. So I had to get the new bedroom TV out that can display about anything. Wow, I liked the better colors of the menus. The no sat list when channel display was bad. I like the wide channel list, so that was not a problem. Looked like this might be a keeper.
RATS, no! It took about 10 minutes on PBS to lock up. I will not have that. So my 11-08-24 that I have no problem with went back on. No lockup with that one. The timer has not been a problem. Got by that some time ago. So. . . .
:(Bummer, I liked those colors.......

Interesting thread.
It's too bad that the openbox coders dont read Brians thread on his new Ferrari. (microhd 12cyl turbo, 0 to 60 not measurable)
I see a Forum psyched and ready to pounce on his new box like a lion on a young zebra.
He will make some serious bucks in the American market.
Big lesson to be learned there about what we want in a box.
How could they possibly not want this kind of desire for their boxes?
I love my openbox, but i am so going to jump ship.
I DO want a clock that keeps time when i power down the machine.
How could such a simple thing be so overlooked?
sheese.

I keep a component cable handy after firmware upgrades so I can connect component output of S9 to the TV to get the 1080i_60 set correctly. Then I go back to HDMI. There is sat display on channel display if you press the red Group button and select Satellite. I have been watching LPB a lot (all 3 channels) and no lock ups at all. Which PBS are you watching to get lock ups? As far as no radio edits, it doesn't matter since I'm doing all editing in the external editor and then uploading via the network the revised file: more convenient than editing with remote control anyway.

Rtcat i do believe that the pbs feeds locked up for you. I wanted to communicate that on my s9 my family has been testing the new version for a few days now on the pbs feeds with no lockups there or any other channel. I think it might be a certain set of boxes that lock up under different circimstances like different hardware revisions as i also have experienced lockups on certain firmwares that others dont. But anyways if you try it you may have luck as i do. For me it works great. Thanks all.

Rtcat i do believe that the pbs feeds locked up for you. I wanted to communicate that on my s9 my family has been testing the new version for a few days now on the pbs feeds with no lockups there or any other channel. I think it might be a certain set of boxes that lock up under different circimstances like different hardware revisions as i also have experienced lockups on certain firmwares that others dont. But anyways if you try it you may have luck as i do. For me it works great. Thanks all.
I agree with that idea 100%.

RT.

My chip ID shows 9D1A. No lockups but I see no way to edit radio channels....using BOTH EYES!

Looking at older S10 FW I see them listed:

TV
Radio
Favs
Delete

Radio is just not there and I tried hitting the TV/radio button in the edit menu and it is a no go.

BUT THE CLOCK WORKS GOOD!

There is also no preview in the edit window. I am thinking this is still a work in progress so lets hope they add the radio edit without screwing something else up. This is getting close.

Last edited:
Finally , something is displaying after turning the unit OFF. It kepts the world "OFF". When turning the unit again ON its display the WORLD "ON" and them the usual BOOT. Colors are great!!! No Sky...or Openbox background which usually take more time to boot, old TP_ files work OK, Multimedia plays great! Still can't play .AVI files ,I was able to play MKV matroska files eventhough the audio codecs are missing, Clock and Date hasnt re-set in 2 days, still working!!!! No freeze or lockups on any HD or elsewhere so far!!! and after a few days you get used to the 3 columns and the pull downs menus, no big deal!! This release is by far one of the best. The new look make the unit and the software looks more into the new electronic era. I dont have motor only fixed dishes with diseqc option so can't tell how well it works with motors or additional switches. Finally a great update which really upgrade the S9 into a new level!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)