Openbox S9 firmware with working clock! (READ CAREFULLY)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't know didn't try it enough, but I watch a lot of real time so no good for me.

Btw the other one I mentioned giving another shot, it locked up pretty quick, so I'm back to 10-11-11 for now. I'll be so glad when your box is out Brian. These lockups are driving me crazy...especially since the kids like to watch Qubo during the day, but I have gave up on Qubo until your new box comes out. You will sure be making one happy family.:D

I've had the Mummers Parade feed on since it started this morning, and I've had neither a lockup nor a loss of audio sync.

Last night I was watching some international New Years Eve celebrations on the Reuters feed, and the sync was maybe slightly off, at times, but it was tolerable -- not nearly as bad as it was a few versions ago.

Whenever I would be using a version that had a lockup problem, it wasn't consistent though. Sometimes it would run for hours, other times for just minutes. I'm talking about a general lockup on any channel, not one that's known to always happen on a specific channel. I don't have C-band, so I can't test any of those channels.

The reason that I asked if PB had the same lip sync problem is that this information would help narrow down the cause.

These STBs are built by many different manufacturers. Firmware that works on one STB will have completely different performance on another. This has nothing to do with a chipset being valid or clone.... All ALI chipsets originate from ALI, so there is not such a thing as a clone chipset. There is however clone receivers that use generic chipsets that are not coded for a specific manufacturer developing specific firmware to use only with their STBs.

How about recorded programming? Does a signal that was out of sync during live viewing now be in sync during playback?
Sorry, can't give you an answer. Never did a recording while I had this "clock fix version" installed.

RT.

Now it is later.........I loaded it again. Within 10 minutes sync was out. Did a 5 minute recording and playback. It was still there.

Last edited:
How about recorded programming? Does a signal that was out of sync during live viewing now be in sync during playback?

I recorded two episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies in SD (With this clock fix FW) and they are in sync as far as you can tell. Some old shows are a bit off when you watch them but the commercials are not.

These seemed to look & sound the same from live and recorded.

This FW seems really good, except, No Radio edit at all and the preview in channel editing is a must. It really shows what this box can do if they would just bring it all together in one FW!

From what I read on a Polish forum this is a modified (hacked) S10 FW and not from any of the manufacturers directly. There is a group of people working on hacking it to fix it. They enabled the menus and fixed the clock. Some other December S10 FW has radio edit but I don't think it has preview and the menus don't work on the S9. I think they're trying to force ya to buy a S10 to get the fixes and I don't like the build of the S10.

A suggestion how to fix the timer recording issue

Looks like the problem with the system time/timer recording was not resolved the new firmware. In brief, the scheduled recording ("daily" same time) will not start in many cases, as the timer switched to the next date. To my understanding, the key to the issue is in the absence of internal independent clock in the unit, so, once the receiver restarted or picked the wrong date from the given channel, it moves the recording date to the next date as if the current date is passed.
My question to the developers: in the DAILY recording mode (means every day same time no matter what date is) why to bother with changing the "DATE" variable at all? Make it something as CurrentDate (not editable by software or user). In this case date-shift glitch will not mess up with the recording. This approach was successfully utilized in other brands (Digistar 811U). The other useful thing will be the option to assign the specific channel as a keeper of a time standard. And to let the software sync the time with that signal at any reboot.

From what I read on a Polish forum this is a modified (hacked) S10 FW and not from any of the manufacturers directly. There is a group of people working on hacking it to fix it. They enabled the menus and fixed the clock.

Interesting! I'll have to investigate that. I just came across a guy on a UK forum who hacked the S10 firmware to get rid of the clone-killing code and fix some decryption-related bugs, but it's obviously a different guy because his starting version was from back in September and he didn't do anything to make it work on an S9.

I'll try this on my S10 soon. The clock/timer has been a major bummer in my books. Because of that I've just about quit using the thing.
Maybe I can get some use out of it after all.

i think you should hang on to it and use it occasionally after you get the new box. i like using my solomend in spite of having to fix it from crashing. now it has been working pretty good. only thing now is stuttering volume on hdmi output but i have the tv hooked to composite video out of the s9 also. switched to it tonight and sound was good. i anticipate buying the new receiver myself. i am going to test it out with my wife and see how it performs. that will be a real test. with the solomend, nope, she would not enjoy it. charlie

Interesting! I'll have to investigate that. I just came across a guy on a UK forum who hacked the S10 firmware to get rid of the clone-killing code and fix some decryption-related bugs, but it's obviously a different guy because his starting version was from back in September and he didn't do anything to make it work on an S9.

I downloaded the deep file here also but found a zip on a Polish site with a Polish text file in it and google translates it to:

This is a modification of the firmware s10 13.12.2011 ¹ cy fit to s9

MENU is already open for s9
To dostaæ're into the network settings must Inputs in MENU and then punish the pilot're 4x6 Network Setup!
To dostaæ to
CCcam Client Setup-4x0
MG CAMD Setup Plug-4x0
Newcamd Server Setup-4x0
After you exit the box from the remote control on the display shows OFF that does not goes out and probably not enter into standby mode because the LED is lit or not this is off the clock, instead of which I can not start the. Once again, you press the POWER button on the remote control appears on the display box and then BOOT're normally runs.

SHREK17

As close as I can tell it says:

This is a modification of the S10 firmware 13.12.2011 to work on the s9

Menus are enabled for the S9
To get into the network settings you must press 6666 in the main menu.
To get into:
CCcam Client Setup press 0000
MG CAMD Setup press 0000
Newcamd Server Setup press 0000

After you power off with the remote control the display shows OFF. It does not enter into standby mode because this would turn off the clock. When you press the POWER button on the remote control again the box displays ON then Boot.

SHREK17

Hope that helps.

I don't see the value in this "fix" if you still can't actually put the receiver into standby mode without losing the clock. Why not just leave it on all the time?

February can't come too soon ;) ...

If you left it on all the time, it still shut itself off after executing a timer, so you lost the ability to have more than one timer.

Again, I haven't measured the power consumption in the pseudo-standby mode that this version goes to, nor have I seen anyone who has.

There's still something funky going on with the clock though. I don't know exactly what works and what doesn't, but it definitely isn't running while I'm in some menus.

If you left it on all the time, it still shut itself off after executing a timer, so you lost the ability to have more than one timer.

Again, I haven't measured the power consumption in the pseudo-standby mode that this version goes to, nor have I seen anyone who has.

There's still something funky going on with the clock though. I don't know exactly what works and what doesn't, but it definitely isn't running while I'm in some menus.

Jim, I been in the menus a lot and my time is still right after 4 or more days. I have not rebooted it either...maybe it stops while it is booting and like 5 boots makes it loose 3 mins? How many times have you booted it?

Has anyone noticed what happens though when you go to different channels that send the time down with their video?

When I go to RT on 97, it almost instantly sets the clock very precisely and very accurately. But then if I change channels to MeTV it's totally and extremely wrong.
(Oh and this is on my S10)
For instance, I just now went to RT and it set the time to 10:33am. Perfection.. :)
Then I change channels to MeTV and it changes the time to 02:01. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt............. Wrong answer..

Then I change to FSTV and it changes the date and the time to something even worse than extremely wrong, 19:38 - Feb 07, 2036 !! 2036??????? Come on now!

I don't like leaving the clock on the manual update option because everytime it shuts off you have to go in and change the time with the clunky menus and remote control. It's not like you can plug a PC keyboard in and just type it in.
This thing is such a pain...

Has anyone noticed what happens though when you go to different channels that send the time down with their video?.....
It is a bummer. Does change. The only two ways I have found to fix this problem is to buy a good receiver with a clock that works OR I just leave the S9 on overnight and pipe the output into one of my HD recorders that has a good timer. Gets me Untouchables, Mission Impossible, and twelve O'clock high overnight. It works.

Has anyone noticed what happens though when you go to different channels that send the time down with their video?
When I go to RT on 97, it almost instantly sets the clock very precisely and very accurately. But then if I change channels to MeTV it's totally and extremely wrong.
(Oh and this is on my S10)

go to 97,when you are delighted with the time,get into the local time menu and set gmt usage to off(scroll to the right in the menu choice)this will prevent the channels from changing the time.

Does NOT work at all. Not on my S10.

I installed this new "wonderware" that fixes the clock. It does not.

When I press the red power button on the remote control the until totally powers down. The USB disk which is independently powered on it's own, detects the tuner powering down and it powers down as well.
The display goes blank. When I press the red power button on the remote control the display will light up with some dashes then displays "boot". The USB disk will then power up shortly after.
When it comes back on with video, the clock is reset to 00:00 Nov, 1 2010...

It does not go into this "OFF" state that some of you guys have seen. It does not preserve the time.

That's it. I'm done with this thing.

I don't like the menus on the top either. I liked the S9 type menus on the side better.

I can't wait until someone comes out with a real FTA satellite tuner that isn't designed around a PIRATE BOX.
That's all these Openbox machines are. They are designed from the ground up for signal theft by pirates and they don't function correctly when you try to use them legitimately.
The people that design, build and sell these things don't give a d*mn about those of us that want to use them for legal purposes..

I'm done. I'm powering it down, it wastes electricity and my time. I may use it on occasion to watch FSTV because my PC won't tune it in but other than that, eh... I'm so over this thing.. :mad:

porky_pig_thats_all_folks-5172.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)