Openbox s9 Firmware

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Carlos, I am no expert, all I have done is read, read, and read some more.

Elbandido has published several threads on getting and using the editor, I was going to send you a copy of the file I built, but I don't think it would do you any good without knowing how to use it.

I had to finally bite the bullet and do it myself.

I was going to make (and I still may) a review of what to do with the editor program, but it really IS as easy as others have made it out to be.

Use a USB stick and dump the *.abs file from your receiver to the stick, remove the stick and connect it to your computer, open the editor and follow the directions in elbandido's directions.

View attachment 60026

I will try to attach the directions here and see if that will help you. This is not my work, it is from elbandido.

Photto

Photto:
Thanks a lot for everything. This is way much that I got in this matter from anyone in this and other forums. I did a print out of elbandido instructions and will begin with the learning process until I became an expert. Beleive I'm going for it. All I need to have is the Dump File in my box including my scanned chanels and download it to my USb pen drive to start with. The most impostant thing that I'm missing is the CHANNEL EDITOR program. Where can I get a copy??? I think I can work from there. Again, Thanks a lot to you and elbandido!!! Good Job!!!

Thanks a lot. I'll use this one to practice till I get my dump file with my settings from my Openbox. Again, Thanks

There are sites that openly support the OpenboxS9 receiver. The FREE information they have cannot be beat.
Here is a ABS file with the CW channels in it. Maybe this will help you get started.
This file has been tested, but with all files, load at your own risk. GregH

Note;This file contains an improved sat file with custom boot/background images
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

That link is dead now .Do you have another plz ty

I just got OpenBox S9.
It is easy to use and overall nice receiver.
The only problem not allowing me to use it is freezing on HD channels.

I tried few versions of the firmware including firmware provided above and it is freezing on HD all the time.
Good example of the channel causing problem is HD PBS channel LPBSHD on 125W AMC 21.
I am using HDMI connector and 1080i output format.
Is it expected problem or is my unit defective?

--Jan

I just got OpenBox S9.
It is easy to use and overall nice receiver.
The only problem not allowing me to use it is freezing on HD channels.

Is it expected problem or is my unit defective?

--Jan

Jan,

I had a similar problem when I first started using my OpenBox. Slight tweaking of the dish is often needed to bring in the -S2 signals where before it was fine. I'm across the pond from you in Michigan, I found I needed a larger dish for the 125w pbs stuff. A 1.2m dish fixed at 125 gets everything nice and clear.
What dish are you using?

Jim

Jim,
The freezing is not caused by signal degradation. I am using 1m dish and it works without problems with my AZbox Elite.

The receiver is freezing and becomes inaccessible until I turn the power off or from time to time it reboots on its own.
It happens only on the HD channels including LPBSHD.
To rectify the problem I tried few versions of firmware but it does not help.
Is the random (every 3-15 minutes) freezing or rebooting expected on some HD channels?

--Jan

Random receiver rebooting is the sign of an error or file corruption.
Jan, are you using the same channel file when you changed firmaware or did you do a fresh scan?
Do you have other receiver(s) connected to the same lnb as your Openbox?

I am using motorized dish with one switch.
The switch is necessary to let me select linear and circular part of the LNBF.
The dish is set up perfectly so I use only USALS.
This setup works perfectly on my AZbox Elite.

I just turned power off on both receivers and manually connected dish to the OpenBox.
I did the setup. There were no any predefined channels.
I dumped to USB original firmware.
I did multi-satellite blind-scan on available arc.
It took me n 1.5-2.0 hours and it found about 400 FTA channels including HD sport feeds.
I started to watch HD sport feed when it first time rebooted.
I confirmed OpenBox reboots/freezes on more regular channels like LPBS.
I flashed few different versions of firmware each time scanning AMC 21 and confirming - the receiver is working fine on everything else (menu, SD channels) but hanging/freezing on LPBS HD.
I flashed back the original firmware and the problem persists.

I guess it indicates defective receiver.
Is it correct conclusion??

--Jan

Jan, When In first got mine in Feb 2010 it froze a few times. I've had the firmware that Sadoun had on their website in my unit for probably six months or so though and no issues...maybe I'm just lucky. I'm not sure what causes it to reboot but now mine is ok....Blind

I am using motorized dish with one switch.
The switch is necessary to let me select linear and circular part of the LNBF.
The dish is set up perfectly so I use only USALS.
This setup works perfectly on my AZbox Elite.

I just turned power off on both receivers and manually connected dish to the OpenBox.
I did the setup. There were no any predefined channels.
I dumped to USB original firmware.
I did multi-satellite blind-scan on available arc.
It took me n 1.5-2.0 hours and it found about 400 FTA channels including HD sport feeds.
I started to watch HD sport feed when it first time rebooted.
I confirmed OpenBox reboots/freezes on more regular channels like LPBS.
I flashed few different versions of firmware each time scanning AMC 21 and confirming - the receiver is working fine on everything else (menu, SD channels) but hanging/freezing on LPBS HD.
I flashed back the original firmware and the problem persists.

I guess it indicates defective receiver.
Is it correct conclusion??

--Jan

The last time I did a scan of multiple satellites, my Openbox scanned some trash. I deleted all of the channels by doing a factory reset and then scanned each satellite separately. If you do this, it may cure your random rebooting problems. You can save your multiple scan and put it back if scanning the satellites individually shows no improvement.

All of the other information you have posted points to the dish being misaligned when using the Openbox. The LPBS channels are very easy to lose and I will notice some freezing on them when the winds get strong. How much signal quality do you have on these channels with the Openbox? Tune to a LPBS channel and press the remote's info button three times. This will cause the signal quality box to appear. Watch the signal quality until the picture freezes. Does the signal quality fluctuate when the picture freezes?
Everything that I see in your posts points to bad channel information and possibly a dish that is slightly misaligned. Sometimes you can connect two receivers to the same antenna system and get slightly different results out of them. It does not take much to freeze the signal on the LPBS channels with a 1 meter dish. watching the signal quality should give you more information on this.
It is also possible that the Azbox you have is more sensitive than your OpenboxS9.
GregH

But he already said that when he says freezing, he means the box locks up and/or reboots, not that the picture momentarily freezes.

For what it's worth, I had a lot of freezing with early versions of the firmware. I haven't had it for a long time.

I have spend all evening today testing the problem.
Right now I am sure I got defective receiver.
It does not matter what I do and what firmware version I am using the box is getting suspended./frozen or starts rebooting.
When I am watchingh HD channel it is just shortest path to the problem.

I confirmed he box has thermal problems.
When I put strong fan on the top of the box I am significantly extending the time to the first freezing/reboot.

I am in the FTA hobby already a few years and it is the first brand new bad hardware I got in my hands.
Probably I was just stretching my luck.
I only can hope my Canadian eBay seller will exchange the box for other.

--Jan

Since my solomend 800 runs very cool, your having heat problems is a telling symptom. Try to get a replacement, I'd say ....
:(

Agree with what Brent said here, I used to think that it was the nature of any HD-capable box to run hot.....WRONGO! My Openbox runs very cool, no warmer that a CS6K.

FWIW I bought a Open Box S9 off of Ebay which had the asian birds installed.
Installed the Sadoun file OK and soon found the motor fix file somehow disables the tuner.
Everything appears fine in the menus, but it won't see a signal.
Fortunately, I had dumped the original firmware and was able to restore complete functionality by reinstalling it.
Don't know if mine is a fluke or if there's been a hardware change on the pcb.
Looks like I'm going to be learning to use the editor sooner than later.

To make it clear - my unit is cold outside.
I discovered it has thermal problems because blowing air in the openings of the cover is extending significantly time between reboots or freezes.
Also when I run the receiver 1-2 hours without cooling and ignoring all the problems it eventually locks up and is not able to boot. When it rests for about 15 minutes it is able to boot again.
//==
I would like to confirm findings from the email above.
When I installed Sadoun file I was not able to get usable signal.
At first I thought the motor part of the software was not functioning.
I connected OpenBox to the fixed dish pointing at strong satellite and the signal strength was 50% and quality about 5%.
Scanning of added known transponder and blind scanning was not finding any channel.

Not disconnecting dish cable and updating firmware to any other from the OpenBox pool was fixing the problem immediately. There were no any switches in the setup just Dish/LNBF cable and receiver.
It makes me think clones of the proper OpenBox arrived on the market or the SSO manufacturers start to diverge the design.

--Jan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts