openbox S9 no network access

Status
Please reply by conversation.

earlief

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
texas
I received my openbox , yesterday, I am disappointed in that there seems to be a bad network port on the box, I hooked it up directly to my router just to verify,I get a link light on the router, none on the openbox and there are no local network options in the menu. The system information tab does list a MAC address, the version is HDS2-10-11-08:1026CM. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all

I wanted to use it similar to my dreambox for uploading/editing channel lists, watching recorded video streams. are you saying this is not possible

It doesn't have hacker support.
How is that a no-sale here in North America?
It's still the lowest price S2/mpeg4 blind-scanning receiver we can get.
Besides, which other FTA receivers have a working LAN port for any use?
I'd say the cup is well-filled. ;)

Wow, glad to find that before I spent money one one of those!

you could always drop a grand on a dreambox or wait for your hair to turn grey blindscanning with an azbox. these recievers can be found new for about 150 bucks. thats cheaper than a coolsat 6000 was back when they were new. haha.

Actually I've seen those priced at around $120 and I was thinking of buying one when I get my 3rd dish up but the AZbox I have has spoiled me I guess with it's working LAN connection that allows me to play DVDs through it from my computer's DVD drive. Then there's other LAN uses like file transfers to the hard drive for firmware updates, movies, etc. Not saying that it's a bad piece, just that I'm disappointed that the LAN function doesn't work and that's likely to be a deal breaker for me. Your mileage may vary.

The advertising put out originally for these boxes was fraudulent, although it may have been a case of bad translation. It specifically said that the boxes were Dreambox-compatible. I think they meant that it would act as a key-sharing client for a Dreambox, because it certainly doesn't run the Dreambox operating system!

Just to answer the original poster's questions thoroughly, I should mention that even if you have a European cardsharing-enabled version of the firmware, the ethernet port still performs NO other function. No telnet, no ftp, no smb or nfs, NOTHING.

It would have been a deal breaker for me had I known, I assumed an ethernet port on a device meant normal network access. I was not looking for any hacking type of receiver. I have no one to blame but myself, I will have to look at getting a better box later one that does have true network access.

Wow, glad to find that before I spent money one one of those!

what doe it matter anyways bud, you have the second best dvb-s2 receiver on the market with pvr for the money. man you get blindscan and everything but 4:2;2 capabilties but can record that anyways and watch later. for the money your getting a steal of deal anyways. but if you got the cash to play with , then get a azbox and enjoy the slow blindscan feature.im going with the openbox myself and dont care if it can hook to the internet, hell thats what a computer is for man.sorry gunman, i just noticed you have a azbox, so why would you wanna test a openbox, azbox is #1 but slow blindscan.

Last edited:
AZbox with its networking was the exception, not the norm.
Dunno how Dreamboxes worked, but they don't get much review/discussion here on the forum.
Likewise, some of them are priced even higher than the Pansat 9200! ;)

As for having both AZ & SSO, some guys have more than one.
One fellow here, has two.... of EACH ! ;)

The AZbox has incorporated media center functionality into the product. The network component makes access to other data easy, something you need with a media center. I 'd say that the fact we can ssh/telnet scp/ftp to the units is just a byproduct of the media center capabilities... Something you won't find in most other satellite receivers.

I like my dreambox, it is has, video streaming, telnet, ftp, internal hdd, remote network access capability, webserver, Mine does not have HD decoding, that's why I went to the openbox, I can not imagine building a device with a network port, that does not have the basic network capability, it is a setback I am not saying it does not receive satellites well. I am hopeful that perhaps in the future they may address that issue with a firmware update. Mapleleaf, with an internet tv you can watch a video stream anywhere in the house, it eliminates having to connect a receiver to every tv.

UH.... What is cardsharing ??

Copying data from a subscribed box to another one to avoid paying for a second subscription.

I could be wrong, but the impression I get from the number of people doing it is that in some countries, it must not be explicitly illegal to do this for your own receivers, i.e. to have TV on multiple TVs without having to pay for more than one subscription. Of course, there's nothing to stop anyone from sharing their subscription with non-subscribers, other than getting caught advertising it.

This would be of little use in North America ON THE OPENBOX, because aside from Dish and Bell busting people constantly for advertising their key servers, many of their transponders these days use a modified form of 8PSK modulation that standard receivers don't understand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts