Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
I have had an Openbox for awhile now, but the power cord is the European version (two prong) and came with an adaptor for a USA 110V outlet. However, it is not a good solid connection. It has been just shutting itself off completly or off and then rebooting lately.
It is not overheating. I can wiggle the power plug at the outlet to bring it back on.

I remember reading here somewhere that I can replace the cord with a standard USA 110V 3 prong outlet cord. Do I have to open the receiver and rewire the new cord or can I cut off the cord and change it?

I would just cut the end off and replace the end with a decent one.

Just make sure you keep the wires and plug polarized correctly! ;)

Like Dishman Dan suggested you can just cut off the end of the cord and replace the end.

The first Openbox S9 I ordered came with the wrong plug adaptor and I too experienced what you are going through. I did not want to do anything to void the box warranty so I went to radio shack and picked up the correct adaptor. The correct adaptor fits so snuggly there is no way you loose the power connection. So my guess is, like me on the first box I ordered had the wrong adaptor sent with it.

A few months later I ordered two more S9 boxes and they both came with the correct adaptor. If it is the correct adaptor it will fit super tight on the end of the plug. If you can swing the cord and the adaptor falls off then it is the higher current plug and not the correct adaptor.

as a technicality, even tho the plug is polarized u dont have to get it back in the same direction (only case i could think of would be for DC power, AC moves both directions alternating back & forth in the usa 60 times per second).... the electronics in the power supply (bridge rectifiers which change AC to DC) will take care of the input voltage polarization

My folk's S9 has that awful plug adapter. It's junk. I taped it on while I had it here, when I took it to them Dad said he was just going to cut it off and solder a proper cord on it. I don't blame him.

...only case i could think of would be for DC power, AC moves both directions alternating back & forth...

I do understand what you are saying. On farm machinery we use polarized/grounded

plugs/receptacles to supply DC power to different "boxes" like control units, monitors

and radar units. But we also have small AC powered machines with motors that when

plugged in the wrong way they then pose a shock hazard. :eek:

Okay, I'm headed to Radio Shack and LOWES electrical dept both. I'll try the other adaptor first, and if no change, then cut it off and replace the plug. Thanks.

Further warning to those who may use an inverter ......>>>>>>> Some inverters (most) the neutral is floating and shorting the neutral to ground can cause an explosion and fire. <<<<<<< Be extra careful when changing plugs. If the original is polarized, the replacement must be. If the ground is not hooked up, do not hook one up. I have not found any modern satellite equipment that is not safe, but if it is not UL labeled, be extra careful.

Only recent problem was an un-polarized cell phone charger, with a hot tip.It was dangerous on commercial power.

Beware of anyone selling products within or importing into the US or Canada with a hardwired plug requiring an adapter to work in the US or Canada. The unit that they are selling is not certified by UL, CSA or any other recognized approval certification group for use in North American. Products must have cords and plugs conforming to the UL 817, CSA C22.2 or equiv.

While a product will safely operate with the proper adapter, it is considered a grey market item and could be subject to confiscation in the customs process.

Support a market where distributors and resellers follow the rules and protect you the customer.

Ask before you buy.... If any questions, request the seller provide proof of UL certification and FCC part 15 compliance .

Okay. Bought the Radio Shack adaptor Ice reccomended and tried the swing it around test Walrus reccommended. Tight and solid connection. Works very well so far. But... I could find no UL certification anywhere. here must be 10+ statements and warnings about electrical shock, but no UL cert. Now I do remember one dealer advertisement before I purchased mine that said they would replace the entire cord and plug to conform to USA standards. (But I didn't buy from them...)

Now I do remember one dealer advertisement before I purchased mine that said they would replace the entire cord and plug to conform to USA standards. (But I didn't buy from them...)

The entire product is certified or not. Replacing the cord does not put the product into UL, CSA or any other certification compliance. Just makes it easier and safer to plug in......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)