Oppo BDP-93 Discussion

Watched a few movies on the Oppo. Does not respond as quickly as the BDT110, but its nice. Really like what they've done with the menus. Now, if that AVS thread just wasn't so noisy, Ive never seen people spend more time talking about media servers in a BR player owners thread.

I don't see a BD player as a media server. If you want/need a media streamer, get a dedicated. Playing BD/DVD/SACD/CD/DVD-A and streaming services is it. Anything else is a bonus. Too many variables streaming across a home network.

S~

I know man, that ISO and Twonky, and WTF ever that goes on is enough to drive you crazy (not far for me to drive). I guess it's no different than other blu-ray owner's threads, they are just as noisy.

93 is still running smooth, not as fast as the ol BDT110 but nice. Will try a 3D flick when something non conversion comes out, just curious to see how well it does 3D.

Gotcha. Seems like the 93 can and will do most everything, no need to really upgrade it this year.

Big need to replace the 83 was 3d and streaming.

Well, I just cannot see the point in paying $500 to Pioneer, with their history, when there is already a reference player thats proven at that point. Im just using the Oppo as my main player and skipping Pioneer. As much as I want to try the 53fd, it's hard to justify it when there is a player out there already that does it right. Why even bother?

I think that player will fall more inline for folks who like PQLS, or just feel the need to have that Elite badge sitting around. I just dont see them doing it "better" than Oppo.

Yeap. I'm set for now with the Panasonics and Oppo. Only reason I would get another is for a reference player that does really good 3D conversion.

S~

New FW

OPPO BDP-93/BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update
Release Information:

Release date: September 26, 2011
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP9x-57-0917
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)

Release Notes:

This version is designed for the OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc players. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP9x-52-0707, the major changes included in this version are:

• Added Pandora Internet Radio streaming. The audio quality is 128 Kbps compressed stream decoded to 44.1KHz/16bit, 2-channel for both free and premium accounts. You can access Pandora by pressing the HOME button, and then select "Internet" from the Home Menu, or by pressing SOURCE and selecting Pandora. This service is limited to U.S. residents only.
  • Added YouTube Leanback streaming. YouTube LeanBack is designed to provide an uninterrupted stream of HD videos from YouTube like you were watching a normal television channel. Access YouTube Leanback from the Home Menu -> Internet, or by pressing SOURCE and selecting YouTube.
  • Resolved errors related to the player freezing when loading specific Netflix streams. In the previous firmware, when playing movies with optional language and subtitle selection, the player may freeze at the initial buffering screen. Examples of titles affected include "Shutter Island", "LOST. Season 1. Pilot" and "The One".
  • Improved the subtitle support in M2TS/TS playback through USB drive, external hard drive or DLNA streaming. Customers have reported that the movie picture could occasionally freeze up during the playback, while the time counter was still moving forward. This issue was related to subtitles and has been resolved in this release.
  • Resolved the subtitle flickering or image stuttering issue during some 3D movie playback. This issue has been reported to happen randomly on some 3D movies released in Asia or Europe. Sample titles include "Step Up", "SAW" and "Resident Evil: Afterlife".
  • Resolved the image vertical stretch issue observed on some legacy DVD's. Customers have reported that when playing these DVD's using HDMI 1 and setting Aspect Ratio to "16:9 Wide/Auto", the pictures were vertically stretched. This issue could happen to certain 4:3 DVD's issued before or around 2000, and sample titles include "The Abyss", "Titanic", "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH (2002)" and "1941 (1979)".
  • Improved support for user-created DVD-Audio discs. In the previous firmware, the on-screen display and the front panel time counters may stop at 00:00:00 when playback advanced from Track 1 to Track 2. This was mostly observed on user-created DVD-Audio discs which were “Audio Only” and contained no menus, backgrounds, or additional features.
  • Resolved the Test Tone missing or harsh noise issues. Some customers have reported these using some special combinations of downmix mode and speaker setting.
  • Improved the audio information display, e.g., previously "MLP 5.1" was shown as "5.1", "1/2 DTS 6.1" was shown as "1/2 DTS 5.1".
  • Added brief chapter information (Current Chapter/Total Chapters) on-screen display when pressing PREV or NEXT button to skip chapters. This feature only applies to commercial discs which include Blu-ray, DVD and DVD-Audio.
  • Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples. Sample movies include "Avatar(3D)", "Journey to Mecca", "Alice (2009 Miniseries)" and "Pirate of Caribbean 4" (3D version released in Asia and Europe).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)