Ordered a Sony XBR65X930C

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Will be here on thw 19th, which works well because I already had Chad B scheduled for a cal on the 20th. Probably going to sell the VT50 locally.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65JS8500FXZA

Ill post some impressions after I get it in. Just need some UHD blu-ray now...

Series/Model #: JS8500
Type: 4K SUHD TV

Video
Screen Size: 48", 55", 65"
Resolution: 3840 x 2160
Panel: 10 bit
Native Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
Motion Rate: 240
PurColor: Yes
UHD Upscaling: Yes
Depth Enhancing Technology: Yes
Nano Crystal Color: Yes
Dimming Technology: UHD Dimming
Precision Black (Local Dimming): Precision Black
Wide Color Enhancer Plus: Wide Color Enhancer
Ultra Clear Panel: Ultra Clear Pro
Peak Illuminator: Yes

Audio
Dolby: Dolby MS11
Sound Effect: DTS Studio Sound
DTS Premium Sound: DTS Premium Sound 5.1
Sound Output (RMS): 40W (10W x 2, Woofer 10W x 2)
Speaker Type: Front Firing (2.2 CH)

Features
Wi-Fi: Built-in
Processor: Quad-Core
Voice Interaction: Yes
Motion Control: Ready/Yes
Smart Evolution Ready: Ready (Future Proof Only)
3D: Yes
One Connect: One Connect Mini
OS/Platform: Tizen Smart TV

Dimensions
Size with stand (WxHxD): 57.7" x 35.1" x 11.1"
Size without stand (WxHxD): 57.7" x 32.9" x 1.2"
Shipping Size (WxHxD): 65" x 37.5" x 7.1"

Weight
Product Weight with stand: 69.7 lb
Product Weight without stand: 60.8 lb
Shipping Weight: 84.7 lb

I was, but I am going to give them more time. I want UHD now, and I know two ex Panny plasma owners that have these 2015's and are very happy, especially after pro cal. Their cinema black feature will be big for me since it shuts off the letterbox LED's and I like movies in the dark.

I intentionally had not gone and looked at a UHD tv with content, but I decided to go do it today and was really impressed.

Cant beat $2800 and I will probably get 1/2 of that back on the VT50.

I have last years 8550 and really like it. I had this years evolution kit but sent it back. Only plus it had to me was true 4K YouTube.
I'll get that now with the Roku 4.
I believe your tv will read Amazon 4K HDR. Please let us know what you think of HDR material compared to 4K non HDR.

Will do. I also have a Roku 4 on preorder. It seems the last few years Samsung has a homerun with the 8000's and 9000's. I looked at em all today but I am not a fan of the curve, or the price LOL.

I should get it PM on the 19th, will get the VT50 down and it mounted. Chad will be out PM on the 20th for a cal, and then I can start toying with some content. I see the Panny player hits Japan in Nov, so CES should be fun.

I have last years 8550 and really like it. I had this years evolution kit but sent it back. Only plus it had to me was true 4K YouTube.
I'll get that now with the Roku 4.
I believe your tv will read Amazon 4K HDR. Please let us know what you think of HDR material compared to 4K non HDR.

What AMP settings are you using. I think the backlight scanning setting will be turned off because it reduces light output. From what I gather many like "Clear" which is a high blur setting and low judder setting, without any bad soap opera effect. Other solution is custom and Blur 10, Judder 0 (I am assuming the Judder setting is what starts ramping up interpolation). Ive been a plasma owner so long these settings are a bit foreign. According to reviews if you use backlight scanning or just turn Blur to 10 you get a full 1200 lines of motion rez from the 120hz panel. Then if you wanna smooth it out more you can start turning Judder up. I have seen a few say they like Blur 10 and Judder something like 2 or 3.
I just prefer to have full motion rez, SOE is not something I really care about seeing much.

I set mine blur 10 and judder 2. SOE on the 8550 comes in with judder at 5+.
One thing I have noticed with Samsung software updates, AMP has been affected in a good way.
One thing I would suggest is to make sure software update setting auto is off.
Chad can tell you if any calibrated settings have messed up with any previous software updates.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
Good, thanks. I have been reading a lot and it seems that on older models AMP had an issue and if you used Custom it had micro stutters every so many seconds, and "Clear" was the only setting that worked correctly. I also remember when I had my Sammy plasma to be careful with updates because Samsung would sometimes reset calibrations.

Congrats...looking forward to your review. The curved 65" 9500 keeps calling my name, every time I go into BB. :hungry

Sooner or later I'm gonna cave. :D

Right at $3k, which is really about where I set my limit.

Have you tried Chris at Cleveland plasma? The sony's finally got an update which gave them HDR.

I read a lot of pro reviews on the 2014 and 2015's. They are all high marks for video processing and blacks (for an LCD). I just have to go in recognizing I probably won't like the image with a dark room, but I have ways around that. Most everything is (overall image and video processing) will be better than my current display, plus its ready for HDR and UHD :)

Hopefully I get a call tomorrow for a Friday time... Slow boat from China...

Been researching settings and many of these are about what I have come as "good ideas".

65X850a Settings

Basic:

Picture Mode: Cinema 2
Backlight: 6
Picture (Contrast): 86
Brightness: 48
Color: 54
Hue (Tint): 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off (Auto when watching M4K BDs)
Motionflow: Off (True Cinema is pretty good, too)
Cinemotion: Off

Advanced:

Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard (Local dimming setting)
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Preference:
Scene Select Sync: Off
Light Sensor: Off

S~

Ill set Blacklevel and Contrast with my test discs, and then keep the backlight as low as possible (for my liking). Chad said 52 color and +2 tint IIRC were a good move on these as well. You can use Reality Creation at lower levels and its like Darbee in a way, but I am not a fan so off it is.

On the last two years, Motion Flow really has two constants, and the 120hz panel has one. With Motion Flow off, the panel is about 300 lines of motion rez, which many say is just fine (Chad says 300 lines looks OK to him too). If you are going to use Motion Flow (IFC and BFI) Clear is the best option (low SOE and full motion rez). It uses a mix of black frame insertion and frame creation that most do not find objectionable at all. However, it does affect 24hz input in a way some may not like. The option there is True Cinema which is still 300 lines but basically repeats the frames 5 times and gives a nice film look on blu-ray. Ill tinker with both, because I am not a fan of aggressive SOE and I love the 96hz mode on my plasma for 24hz blu-ray. I think Gamma -1 was recommended and Dynamic LED should be Medium. High causes too many issues and Medium is better than low at darkening more of the screen when not needed. Helps more with clouding too.

Color Temp has moved away from Warm, Warm1 etc... and the proper temp is Expert 1. Chad said the grayscale was pretty good there. Ill post some pics of menu settings once I get it all done (hopefully next few days). These models also now have 10pt grayscale adjustments along with the normal 2 point, which is nice, but Chad said its kinda Wonky and takes tinkering. Reminds me of Samsungs were if Contrast was not high enough WB adjustments didnt always do what they were supposed to during calibration. If you were adjusting 20%, it may affect 50% if Contrast was not 85 or higher (plasma).

Clear was OK to me with TV. I didn't like it on BD, so that's why it has stayed off. I switched between Gamma 1 and 2 for the longest time and finally settled on -2. Standard LED Dynamic is medium. Keep us posted.

S~

Did Clear just make Blu-ray look too Soapy? Ive seen where frame creation works well on 60hz and not on 24hz, and them some brands are opposite. I can see myself leaving it on for Dish and cutting it off for Blu.

Chad has done a 940C, so I will hit him up and see if it was -1 or -2, he may have said -2. IIRC, -2 is a pretty nice 2.4 Gamma which Sony has been using on these sets for a couple of years.

He put me on his list so in a couple of months when he is back Ill let him cal it.

Clear looked soapier on BD than on regular TV programming. I think Sony does much better than other brands on motion whether on or off.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)