Ordered my FTA system last night!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well, I finally got my system ordered last night. Even got an additional 2% off from Sadoun. I ordered the S-1, upgraded dish (90cm) and the standard KUL1 LNB. I decided to wait on the motor for now. With shipping and 100' of coax it was only $232. Not bad. I am sure I will have questions :) Actually I do. I will start new threads for them. THANKS to all!

Larry :)

Everyone one this board seems so nice and helpfull! I have been reading it for several months, and feel like I know everyone :) I like that there is more control of the forums. Most forums I frequent it is total anarchy - people also are bashing others and what not. So enought babble - sorry :)

How many channels, and what type do you get with one of the FTA systems? Just wondering if it is worth it.

You'll be glad you got the 90cm upgrade! I did almost the same except I got the motor but I held out for a week or two on installing the motor. You'll be ordering your motor soon ;)

Check out the Sadoun link at the top of the page. On the left hand side of their web site they list the satellites and the channels that you can pick up. I am going after the Retro TV Network ones and the UP/WB type stations.

I know the motor will be a "needed" item very soon :) I found out the 90cm dish is back ordered and they won'y have it until next week :-( Oh well, more time to plan :)

New Idea - 80cm Dish for now

Well, bad news for me. the 90cm dishes are still backordered, and no idea when they will be in. So, I changed my order to the 80cm dish (instock), so the outfit should ship out right away. Now here is what I plan to do. I will set up the 80cm for G10R (I am in Iowa - 50701) so I am told that the 80cm will work just fine. Then, later on down the road (month or 2) after I get things running, I will order either a motor, or I will order another 80cm or a 90cm dish and aim it for StarNetwork Movies (or another satellite). The cost of a larger dish and switch is about the same as a motor. Does this sound like I did the right thing? As you all know, I am wanting to view the UP/WB RTN, ABC and Fox stations that are on G10. Thanks for everyones help on here! I LOVE this site! I can't wait to be up and running :)

an 80cm will work fine. I use a 76cm here in MN with not much issues.

The one transponder might be a little low (the one with Retro Jams on it) due to the adjacent interference from Dish 121 but it works pretty good. :)

As for Star TV, if you use a 2nd LNB and place it next to the existing one aimed at G10, you should be able to pick up Star TV on 129.
I did it a while back...signal isnt as strong as if its aimed directly at the focal point (the sweet spot of the dish) but it was enough signal to keep it stable :D

Hmm...I am trying to picture how this works. How does the LNB mount to the arm? That would certainly be a good idea. Thanks for the help and advice!

hose clamps :)

You aim the dish at 123 (G10) and get it skewed properly

Then you take a 2nd LNB and rest it on the left edge of the original LNB (if you are behind the dish its to the left of the original) and slowly slide it up and down until you get a peak signal.

I've done this numerous times (hose clamp theory) and it works pretty good

Some of my hose clamp projects

Dish fixed at 95 and DBS LNB's at 91 & 82
Dish fixed on 123 and DBS at 119 for audio
Dish fixed at 107.3/111.1 (for StarChoice) and add DBS LNB at 119
Dish motorized and DBS LNB next to it

I had for a little bit
Dish aimed at G10 (123) and LNB's on BOTH sides of it (DBS at 119, KU at 129 for Star Network)

Some LNB's are easier to work with than others (obviously the "block" LNB's (that look like DBS LNB's but are KU) work the best :)

Here is my setup when I had 95/91/82

closest LNB is 82
middle one is null (needed it as a spacer)
then 91
rectangle one is 95

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 174
THANKS! That makes sense! I ordered the Sadoun KUL1 standard LNB for my system, and by looking at the LNB's he has on his site, the KUL1 does not look "block" like. Their is a universal lnb that looks like the DBS. What would you recommend? This sounds like a viable solution to what we want to watch! THANKS! :)

nah. Not the Universal. i have one of them and it doesnt work real well for that idea.

The existing one you posted should work better. You'll just need some type of a spacer (small piece of wood works) to fill in between the LNB's

THANKS! I will print this off, and when I get everything set up I will order another LNB and give it a try. Doesn't look like there is anything else on IA7 other than StarNet and their talk radio. I used to listen to Chuck Harder on shortwave years ago :)

GOOD NEWS! System is in transit!

Just got a FedEx notice, my system has been picked up from Sadoun and will be here Thursday! YES! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! ONce I figured out exactley what I wanted, Sadoun got it shipped out the SAME DAY! THANKS everyone for your help and THANKS to SADOUN! PS if I leave the FedEx guy a note with my sig, do you think he will leave it on my patio (secluded patio) ?

I didn't want to say anything but I was with David of Fortec and he specifically called his office in Canada checking for 90CM dishes to ship to Sadoun and while I was there I found out they came in that day (On Friday) and were due to arrive at Sadoun today. :)

I didn't want to say anything because I did not know when Sadoun was actually going to ship them considering much of the staff has been traveling the past few days. And I thought that travel might cause a small delay. Guess I was wrong. :)

ANyways enjoy your system, lots of cool stuff up there! :D

ia

I combined a couple of your threads. Please try and keep same topic items in one thread. It gets too confusing trying to follow along

(if you have issues with install please keep those in one topic so we can follow along. My C-Band setup thread is up to 20 pages) :D

Sorry about that! I partake in a home repair forum, and they close a thread after about 3 replies. They like to have each new sub topic within the topic as a separate topic. Makes for alot of new topics! Will try to keep them together :) Looks like some good horror movies (old) are on this weekend, so will be watching :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)