Ordering SL3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hansokl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Atlanta
Good Morning everyone!! I finally got directv installed and found out I got the oval slimline dish. I am also wanting to order another dish for tailgating.

Here is what I have currently:

IMG_3378.jpg

with triple lnb:

lnb.jpg

My lnb has : SL3S4NR2-14 on it. Most of the ones I look at on-line say SL3S4NR2-02 and I'm not really what the difference between 02 and 14 is.. Maybe you guys can help. I'm guessing it has to do with the cover that goes over the lnb because the 02 ones look like this:
81q5equVk8L_AA1500_.jpg

I just want to ensure I order the correct dish that will allow me to get all of my channels. I have the choice extra package with HD. I'm guessing I need satellite 99, 100, 103 to get all of my channels but wanted to be 100% sure. I saw some threads on here where a few people called a local installer to purchase an extra dish for pretty cheap.. I've looked on Amazon, Solid signal, and other places. Can someone tell me if the 02 matters when ordering the extra dish or not. I'm guessing the dish I need is the AU9-SL3 SWM dish but could anyone provide any additional information? Do I need anything else? Sorry for a long message and thanks to anyone who helps out. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Sorry about dropping the ball on the formatting guys.. hopefully it isn't too much of a pain.

They look to be the same lnb, just a different manufacturer.

They look to be the same lnb, just a different manufacturer.
So you think I should pick up all my channels including HD with any Slimline SL3 dish I order? Also.. Would you recommend getting a signal meter and if so, any suggestions? Any other suggestions on stuff I may need? Thanks again for all the help!!

They are all SL3's just made by different companies. They will all work. You do want to know if you are a SWM or non-SWM. I'd match what you have at home as you know it will work together. If you go SWM, you'll need a 21v Power Inserter.

I tipped an installer $40 bucks for a used Slimline and mast assembly. It is the shipping that makes them expensive. Craig's List is also good as local. Bought my SL3 with PI as a kit on eBay for around $30 shipped.

Those are swm lnbs, so you will need a 21v power inserter. You should be able to align it without a meter. It takes some practice and patience, but it's not that difficult.

I use a SL3 SWM LNB for camping, but use the 18x20 phase 3 dish which is significantly smaller than the slimline. Can get signal in the 80's ok with about the same effort as getting a slimline in the mid-90's.

If you are thinking tailgating it may be an option as well.

Thanks for all the advice/help everyone. So I would want to purchase an extra power inserter instead of taking the one from home? I would only be using this about 7-8 times a year during football season. I'm going to check with the installer that is coming out to switch out a receiver about an extra dish. I will also weigh getting a dish online for about 95$ with shipping vs ordering the dish and lnb separate. I already checked with one local company which sells the dish for $200 so I think on-line will be the way I go. Thanks again

You can get a Slimline and 3lnb swm for much cheaper than $200. Check ebay.

Yeah at this point.. I'll either order online for around $95 including shipping or use craigslist where there are a couple for much cheaper than $95.

That was from a quick perusal of eBay listings. There may well be a better deal if you look further.

I'd go cheap. Some get stolen at games. You may want to move to Phase III mod once you get the hang of it. Or, go to a Dish 1000.2 on a Phase III mount. Much smaller and easier to handle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)