OTA Adapter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As Scott says, "Yes". It will be integrated. Hopefully you're in a market where the guide is fully populated with programming information.

Here on Maui, we get OTA signals from the repeaters of the Honolulu stations. Our guide does not have programming info. It is simply broken down into 1 hour blocks with each block labelled the name of the station ie. KAII-H HD

Reactions: KaptainRandom
thanks all. appreciate it. And yes, our guide is fully populated, thank goodness. Im sure its frustrating not having it. Thats one of the reasons I left my internet providers cable tv option. I was paying about as much as DISH monthly, but no guide and no DVR (I would have had to pay even more)

AirGap a Pretty good deal for $30.

The last part is to figure out what antenna I need to hook to it. I'm about 35 miles south of the broadcasting antennas. It sucks that ABC has been removed from DISH.

thanks all. appreciate it. And yes, our guide is fully populated, thank goodness. Im sure its frustrating not having it. Thats one of the reasons I left my internet providers cable tv option. I was paying about as much as DISH monthly, but no guide and no DVR (I would have had to pay even more)

AirGap a Pretty good deal for $30.

The last part is to figure out what antenna I need to hook to it. I'm about 35 miles south of the broadcasting antennas. It sucks that ABC has been removed from DISH.
I bought the antenna linked below. I installed it indoors, just sitting on top of my armoire. Works great. Picks up channels 36miles from my house.

1byone Outdoor Antenna

I’ll warn you that the Hopper’s OTA tuner isn’t as good as my TV’s tuner.

In Indianapolis, here’s what I get:
Hopper - 4, 6, 8, 13, 20, 23, 29, 40, 46, 47, 59, 69
TV tuner - 4, 6, 8, 13, 20, 23, 26, 29, 30, 33, 40, 42, 46, 47, 59, 63, 69

It's better than the original dual tuner OTA adapter from Dish but it's not better than the current dual tuner adapter from Dish. In fact some say it's the same guts in a different package.
Has anyone had one of the dish OTA fail on them, mine is about 3 weeks old, and starting to lose signal. Is this common for the dish brand? Antenna hasn't moved.

Has anyone had one of the dish OTA fail on them, mine is about 3 weeks old, and starting to lose signal. Is this common for the dish brand? Antenna hasn't moved.

As we enter spring and leaves come on the trees you may lose weak stations. Were the stations that you lost still available on your TV?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have the older adapters. They get a little warm, but are well ventilated and have worked as expected. I was a Beta Tester for AntennasDirect before the new design and addition of the Hi-VHF Dipoles. Our towers are 15 miles away, but I am using the 70+ mile CS4 although the 50 mile CS2, which I have, would work also. But I have to shoot through two groves of trees.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
DishesCloseup0918.JPG
CS4solo.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have the older adapters. They get a little warm, but are well ventilated and have worked as expected. I was a Beta Tester for AntennasDirect before the new design and addition of the Hi-VHF Dipoles. Our towers are 15 miles away, but I am using the 70+ mile CS4 although the 50 mile CS2, which I have, would work also. But I have to shoot through two groves of trees.

Sent from my SM-T290 using TapatalkView attachment 151081View attachment 151082

Mine is not quite 3 weeks old, the adapter does run a little warm, seems like after it's on a while the signal starts to fail. When they first put it in the signal would always get better at night and early morning. Now that's not the case.

Mine is not quite 3 weeks old, the adapter does run a little warm, seems like after it's on a while the signal starts to fail. When they first put it in the signal would always get better at night and early morning. Now that's not the case.

Did the Dongle "Fail" or did your PQ or the temp of the Dongle changed at those times and now it's working or not too well?

Usually by what you describe the Time Periods are Low Temp/Low Radio Traffic times. Your antenna may be in the wrong place and is shooting through a "traffic zone". And temperature is also a factor. The heat rising from the days radiation saturation of the ground, pavement, brick and whatnot can cause interference. The times you say are good are before and after when things are cooler.

BUT! you say "That's no longer the case" anymore. I think I remember that my OTAAs were getting too much signal and I was going to put an attenuator on the feeds. But the "Lead" of the two Techs that were dispatched to install, the cheap floppy mat antennas, when all I ordered were the Dongles that could have been shipped but as per the Sale Rep, "needed" to be "professionally installed". "Don't Do This At Home!"

They thought it was curious that I would need antennas when they came from the South and saw my "d¡sh farm" and BA Antenna. So we has a chat and I asked about the Dongles I had ordered. No Dongles on the WO. Great! BUT the Lead said he had some on the truck. Oooo! We plugged them in and went through all the setup and 4 extra channels popped that they had never seen. That was my internal RF Modulator for the o' "One Box, One TV" days. I had one box, all TVs. 4 TOL every time they came out. Now I still use two channels for D¡sh H3, BR/DVD/VCR and the other two, one for internal cameras and one for external. That private feed was a little to "hot" although split 15 ways.

TL:CTR: Since that internal modulator feed was a bit hot, I headed to grab a handful of various level attenuators and the Lead said that the Dongles will "Dial themselves in", I love that phrase, after a week or so. And they did. So that's what you probably saw or didn't see after a bit of time and they did or didn't "Dialed themselves in".

Last edited:
Also my Hopper duo just resets at random time in the afternoon. I have it set to do it at 9am when I'm not watching tv, Like now it just reset at 4:05pm. Just weird .

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
The weaker one is worse of course, and even the strongest is breaking up.
Oh, okay. The reason I asked is because my 3 VHF stations swing back and forth between watchable and unwatchable depending on the day and conditions. There could be 3-4 days when they come in and then 3-4 days when they don't.

Mine had been fine, then even the strongest started breaking up at times, the weather was clear, and no leaves yet. So I was thinking that the tuner was warm, not really hot was affecting its ability to function correctly. Just a thought, are they supposed to run warm?

Mine had been fine, then even the strongest started breaking up at times, the weather was clear, and no leaves yet. So I was thinking that the tuner was warm, not really hot was affecting its ability to function correctly. Just a thought, are they supposed to run warm?
They are known to run "hot". Electronics don't like "Hot" and tends to shorten their lives. One of mine was fine too, then what was better PQ than the box, the OTAs started to pixelate. The dongle was failing.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The old original dual tuner dongles from Dish (possibly made by Hauppauge) did run hot, but the newer dongles both from Dish and from AirTV are barely warm and do not have an overheating problem.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts