OTA and Apartments

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Vhf

I am using the Winegard HD VHF/UHF. I am over 40 miles from where signals are broadcast and my stuff if booming in. Great signals

Bill

Video: where do you have it mounted? where in relation to the maps is it? are you unobstructed?

I have a Tandy (Radio Shack) Mini-State. It looks like a flying saucer, 22'' dia 6'' thick. The antenna elements are inside a plastic case. It is very unobtrusive. I get HDTV 50 miles away as well as analog. It has a small built in rotor. It has a amp. It mounts on a 1-1/2" dia pipe. I have mine mounted on a plumbing vent pipe on the roof (left a gap for the vent). It rotates 360 with a small hard wired operator (there is also an IR remote operator model). I ran the coax and rotor cable w/ no diplexers. I tried the TV55, Silver Sensor, TV44, and the Mini-State works best because of the rotor. I'm also going to try the GE MaX 6' (its like the TV55 only much smaller in dia, twice as long, and can be painted to match its surroundings). I've come to the conclusion that since the stations' transmitting antennas at my location are so diverse in their direction from my receiving antenna, a rotor is a must.

Okay, here's my predicimate:

I am facing downtown, and "Ceder Hill" where the stations are broadcast from, is directly on the other side of downtown from me. I can't see over the downtown buildilngs (but it's a sweeeeeeet view!), which means all my signal that i should be getting is being bounced back.

The guy who sells the Winegard products around here says that i am a rock in a hard place because all the antennas out there require at least some chance of getting a signal, and since i only have one direction to view (no rooftop, only a balcony that faces south and on the 6th floor of 8 floors in my building) getting all channels will be "amazingly difficult".

There has to be a solution...anyone?

As an alternative antenna, try a Radio Shack 21-1560. UHF only, for about $22. Several of us in Central Mass are using them with good success rates. I'm about 35-40m from the towers, and Mass is pretty hilly country.

Lob

Relation to maps

digideal said:
Video: where do you have it mounted? where in relation to the maps is it? are you unobstructed?
My antenna is on my roof which is 2 stories high and as far as I know I have an unobstructed view. However CBS here is weak and I had the Channel master stealth with amp and was unable to get CBS. With the new Winegard without an amp I get everything. The antenna is facing 163 degrees which is what antennaweb.org says.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestion, Lobstah: How would I hoop up the SilverSensor and this RS model up at the same time? would the diplexor thingy work? I think someone has recommended just about every singl antenna on the market...I am beginning to think there isn't "the best antenna available" because it's all so unique to the situation, which totally sucks for us renters of the world. But, I think I am getting closer to knowing what exactly I need...

Me three

I also live just east of downtown Dallas - zip 75204. While I live in a townhouse, I too do not have roof access (yes, I bought the only townhouse in the neighboorhood without a roof deck, and my view was just quashed by new townhomes between me and downtown. :mad: )...

So the bottom line is that I DID up up a Stealth on my balcony, and can get everything but channel 8. I think the problem is multi-path, but I am not sure... With the lower power of VHF....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)